SIP Account on two devices

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
simon0t7
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: 3.1.15
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Win 7
Router: Dlink DIR-825

SIP Account on two devices

Post by simon0t7 »

Hi guys,

I've got my SIP account info and I want to use it on two devices. The primary device being my home phone (linksys PAPT). At the same time, I want to be able to use my galaxy nexus people to call via my FPL number.
I'm currnetly using CSipSimple but everytime I run the app i can no longer recieve calls from the linksys papt. I have to power cycle the papt before it registers again. This is clearly where I think I screwed something up.

Any thoughts on what I can do? The best case would be if when someone calls my FPL it rings on the PAPT and my softphone but i'll settle with making outgoing calls from my softphone without messing up the way my PAPT settings.

Thx
Jake
Technical Support

Re: SIP Account on two devices

Post by Jake »

In short you can only register one device at a time with FPL. As you found out, they will keep stealing registration from each other and you won't really know which one is going to ring.

My best advise would be to look into setting up a pbxes.org account.

How that would work is like this.
1. You register your FPL account at PBXES.
2. You then register your ATA and Phone to PBXES.

This has a bit more flexibility in as much as you can get both devices ringing at the same time, and be able to call from one to the other (phone to ATA) as they can be considered as extensions. So you will be able to transfer calls from phone to home, or home to phone.

The downsides are, you have to rely on pbxes to be working for your calls. This shouldn't be a problem, but it is another step in the chain. Also you have to work out how to set it up, but Google it and you should find many examples 'how-tos'.

It depends on how much you like to play with VOIP I guess. If you are just looking for an easy way to get around this problem, maybe buying another config file is the easiest way to go.

Of course FPL letting us register multiple devices would be the ultimate answer, but for the moment it isn't like that. It has been talked about many times, but that is far as it has ever got :)
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

An alternative to PBXES might be to use sipsorcery.com in a similar way as I know that it works for other providers.
seagame2001
Tried and True
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Post by seagame2001 »

you have to buy sipsorcery account now cause they are no longer have free account any more
lifeisfun
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: oBi200
ISP Name: Carrytel
Computer OS: w10
Router: Asus AC87U

Post by lifeisfun »

Jake wrote:In short you can only register one device at a time with FPL. As you found out, they will keep stealing registration from each other and you won't really know which one is going to ring.

My best advise would be to look into setting up a pbxes.org account.

How that would work is like this.
1. You register your FPL account at PBXES.
2. You then register your ATA and Phone to PBXES.

This has a bit more flexibility in as much as you can get both devices ringing at the same time, and be able to call from one to the other (phone to ATA) as they can be considered as extensions. So you will be able to transfer calls from phone to home, or home to phone.

The downsides are, you have to rely on pbxes to be working for your calls. This shouldn't be a problem, but it is another step in the chain. Also you have to work out how to set it up, but Google it and you should find many examples 'how-tos'.

It depends on how much you like to play with VOIP I guess. If you are just looking for an easy way to get around this problem, maybe buying another config file is the easiest way to go.

Of course FPL letting us register multiple devices would be the ultimate answer, but for the moment it isn't like that. It has been talked about many times, but that is far as it has ever got :)
Wow, this was easy - Thanks for the hint :)
How reliable is this solution ????
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

As far as I know it is very reliable. I used it many moons ago, but now I have a PBX here so I don't need it.

Maybe you could list how you did it for others to follow. This sort of thing comes up from time to time. I know this is a solution, but to be honest I haven't ever gone through and set it up using pbxes.
lifeisfun
Quiet One

Post by lifeisfun »

That's great! - Thanks again!

Here is guide how to:

1. Login pbxes.org account
“Extensions” -> “Add Extension” -> choose “SIP”.
1a. In “Extension Number” enter “100″. it creates "your name-100". For me, it's "me-100".
1b. In “Display Name” enter what you please.
1c. In “password” setup your password (xyxyxy).
1d. Click “Submit”.
1e. Re-click the red bar at the top of the page.

2. Now goto “Trunks” -> choose “Add SIP Trunk”.
2a. In “Trunk Name” enter FPL
2b. In “Account – username” enter your FPL number
2c. In “Account – password” enter your FPL SIP password.
2d. In “Account – SIP Server” enter voip.freephoneline.ca
Submit then reconfirm.

3. “Inbound Routing” -> choose “Add Incoming Route”.
You must check boxes “Extension”. use “100″ which it is setup already.
Submit then reconfirm.
At beginning of your start, leave "Trunk" and "Caller ID Number" blank. Once you can make call successfully, you can try to fill in what you please.

4. “Outbound Routing” -> choose “Add Route”.
4a. Set “Route Name” enter FPL
4b. In Trunk Sequence pull-down and select the one you setup “SIP/xxxx”
4b. Chose “Valid for all numbers”. Play other settings here later. By now, leave them blank.
Submit then reconfirm.

On ATA (my ATA is spa2102):
Proxy: pbxes.org (pbxes.com may work either)
User ID: me-100 (PBXes extension)
Password: password of the extension (xyxyxy)

Make a inbound call to your FPL number. it should work now.
Test outbound call
simon0t7
Just Passing Thru

Post by simon0t7 »

who, thanks for all the info guys!
I'm going to look into the PBX deal but I must say, if I could register two SIPs for another 50 bucks I would :)
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

lifeisfun wrote:That's great! - Thanks again!

Here is guide how to:
Thank you, very detailed.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

simon0t7 wrote:who, thanks for all the info guys!
I'm going to look into the PBX deal but I must say, if I could register two SIPs for another 50 bucks I would :)
You are allowed to have more than one account (config file). It would obviously be on another number, but from your first post I got the understanding that this was mainly for outgoing calls on your phone. If that is the case and the 50$ is OK for you, just set up another account. (use a different email address, and either clear your browsers cookies or use a different browser/computer when setting up the second account).

Then buy the config file and use those details on your phone so it won't steal the registration from your ATA.
simon0t7
Just Passing Thru

Post by simon0t7 »

Sorry, i meant if i could buy two sip configf files for the same number that would be ideal. It would be set up such if someone calls my fpl number it would ring at home and on my android device w/ csipsimple. It would also allow me to use csipsimple to make out going calls with my fpl number as i have unlimited data and have full use of my home phone
Currently i can set up csipsimpke to call and recieve but that completely screws up my phone
It sounds like the pbx is a solution or i get a second fpl number. Te latter not being the most ideal
lifeisfun
Quiet One

Post by lifeisfun »

It will take you 10 minutes to set up PBXES and it will be way more flexible as well :)
kdon79
Just Passing Thru

Post by kdon79 »

I tried to set this up, can make calls from both android and pap2t but can only receive calls to android (csipsimple).
any help?
kdon79
Just Passing Thru

Post by kdon79 »

I set this up but only android rings for incoming calls.
Never mind, I got it to work. I had to have two extensions and link each device to the extension.
amitmeh
Quiet One

Post by amitmeh »

I could only successfully get it to work on only one of two devices. It steals the registration from each other. I even tried making another extension but couldn't get the 2nd device to ring at the same time. What am I doing wrong?
lifeisfun wrote:That's great! - Thanks again!

Here is guide how to:

1. Login pbxes.org account
“Extensions” -> “Add Extension” -> choose “SIP”.
1a. In “Extension Number” enter “100″. it creates "your name-100". For me, it's "me-100".
1b. In “Display Name” enter what you please.
1c. In “password” setup your password (xyxyxy).
1d. Click “Submit”.
1e. Re-click the red bar at the top of the page.

2. Now goto “Trunks” -> choose “Add SIP Trunk”.
2a. In “Trunk Name” enter FPL
2b. In “Account – username” enter your FPL number
2c. In “Account – password” enter your FPL SIP password.
2d. In “Account – SIP Server” enter voip.freephoneline.ca
Submit then reconfirm.

3. “Inbound Routing” -> choose “Add Incoming Route”.
You must check boxes “Extension”. use “100″ which it is setup already.
Submit then reconfirm.
At beginning of your start, leave "Trunk" and "Caller ID Number" blank. Once you can make call successfully, you can try to fill in what you please.

4. “Outbound Routing” -> choose “Add Route”.
4a. Set “Route Name” enter FPL
4b. In Trunk Sequence pull-down and select the one you setup “SIP/xxxx”
4b. Chose “Valid for all numbers”. Play other settings here later. By now, leave them blank.
Submit then reconfirm.

On ATA (my ATA is spa2102):
Proxy: pbxes.org (pbxes.com may work either)
User ID: me-100 (PBXes extension)
Password: password of the extension (xyxyxy)

Make a inbound call to your FPL number. it should work now.
Test outbound call
MrDoo
Just Passing Thru

Post by MrDoo »

Setup a ring group in pbxes. On inbound routing, have it go to the ring group instead of just the extension. Both phones will ring. The first one to answer will take the call. Each device should be registered to its own extension.
callopsitte_himself
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: 2Wire 2701HGV-E
Computer OS: XP SP3

Post by callopsitte_himself »

Tried the above step by step guide and is does not work for me...

Is the settings above suppose to have your FPL work even if you don't want any add-ons? I know Ican just use my FPL on my ATA like a regular phone (which is what I'm actually doing) but what if I wanted to test some play around?

In other words, I followed the step by step guide but when I pick up my handset I get a fast busy tone. Is that supposed to be or should I be able to use my FPL like if I was not using pbxes.org?

Thanks.
If the clown doesn't laugh it's really not funny.