Call-waiting tone: can we change volume or tone??

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
kamymorcos
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: Linksys SPA-2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.12
ISP Name: TekSavvy cable
Computer OS: Windows XP Pro
Router: DLink 850L
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S5

Call-waiting tone: can we change volume or tone??

Post by kamymorcos »

Hello forum gurus...

We're having a bit of an issue with missing the call-waiting sound. The Call-waiting indicator (the sound that plays when a second call comes in) is a short two-tone ring which is ridiculously low volume, causing us to miss it completely at times when you're in full conversation with someone.

Just wondering if anyone out there using the Grandstream HT-286 (although not sure if it's device specific or FPL related itself) has figured out if there's a way to either change it to a different sound (something more noticeable) or at least increase its volume?

Obviously we've already tried simply increasing the handset's own volume but then the speaker at the other end also increases, which defeats the purpose...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Kamy :)
evilmonkey
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Asterisk/FreePBX
ISP Name: Acanac Inc.
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: DD-WRT 24 pre-SP2
Smartphone Model: Nexus 5
Android Version: 4.4

Re: Call-waiting tone: can we change volume or tone??

Post by evilmonkey »

This is not an FPL issue, it has to do with your specific ATA. I don't own a grandstream, but on the PAP2T, you can set the call waiting tones in the Advanced settings under the Regional tab. You'll have to google around to figure out how to do it on your HT-286, if it supports it.
qdi40
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: Cable
Router: Linksys E4200 V2

Post by qdi40 »

Thanks for the tip evilmonkey, my tone is okay its just the wierd chirp I get the first time. My setting is the default 350@-19,440@-19;2(.2/.2/1+2);10(*/0/1+2)not sure what these vlues mean, i will have to search unless anyone has any suggestions.
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Post by TheHardy »

On the FPL softphone (for PC), I have the same issue ... the CW tone is almost completely undetectable, and due to my jitter on my connection where I have audio randomly dropping as it is, I usually end up missing any CW tones when I am on a call anyways.

Therefore, I would propose that it is NOT a device-specific issue or even at the moment ATA related. Or then again, it MAY be an ATA problem _AND_ simultaneously a softphone issue too ...

Just my two pennies and observation on this problem!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
evilmonkey
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Asterisk/FreePBX
ISP Name: Acanac Inc.
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: DD-WRT 24 pre-SP2
Smartphone Model: Nexus 5
Android Version: 4.4

Post by evilmonkey »

qdi40 wrote:Thanks for the tip evilmonkey, my tone is okay its just the wierd chirp I get the first time. My setting is the default 350@-19,440@-19;2(.2/.2/1+2);10(*/0/1+2)not sure what these vlues mean, i will have to search unless anyone has any suggestions.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ToneScript. I don't know about the weird chirp, but if you want to turn up the volume on your call waiting beeps, you need to adjust the -19 value upward (i.e. -18, -17, etc.) since that seems to be the volume in dBm (decibels, measured to a milliwatt).

EDIT: Oh, OK, I see what the chip is. From the wikipedia entry:
350@-19,440@-19;2(.2/.2/1+2);10(*/0/1+2)

Contains 2 frequencies components

Frequency component 1 is 350 Hz at -19 dBm
Frequency component 2 is 440 Hz at -19 dBm

There are two Cadence Sections

In the first Cadence Section, The duration is 2 seconds and the tone has only 1 subsections

In the only subsection the tone is on for 0.2 seconds, off for 0.2 seconds, and composed of both the Frequency components 1 and 2 (350 Hz and 440 Hz)

In the second Cadence Section, The duration is 10 seconds and again the tone has only 1 subsections

In the only subsection the tone is always on, off for 0 seconds, and composed of both the Frequency components 1 and 2 (350 Hz and 440 Hz)
So your chirp must be the first thing you're hearing: the 2 second 350Hz tone.

By the way, I'm trying to figure all this out as I'm going along, so if someone is actually proficient in tonescript, please feel free to correct me.
qdi40
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: Cable
Router: Linksys E4200 V2

Post by qdi40 »

Yes it is the first thing I am hearing, i might try to play with that first number, maybe I can change the value an eliminate the chirp.

Thx evil one.