Cell phone that works good with Fongo Mobile

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Cell phone that works good with Fongo Mobile

Postby fullpampers » 02/24/2015

I have a nexus 4 right now.

I can get the echo to go away with mic and volume settings, but the phone itself won't let Fongo use the built in acoustic cancellation. So for the person I'm calling. it sounds like crap since the phone basically becomes an omnidirectional microphone.

What phone(s) are known to work well with Fongo? I'm trying to find a second hand phone to replace my nexus, but since I use Fongo as my main phone, I figured I'd ask here.

I've been looking at xperias, do they have echo/acoustic cancellation problems?

I'm trying to stay clear of samsung phones because on the Fongo site it says some samsung phone are know to have echo problems. Do they also have the acoustic cancellation problem? Are there samsung phone that are know to work well with Fongo? That would help because there are a lot of samsung phone out there.

Has anyone used China phones? I honestly don't mind having a cheap phone if the price is good. As long as i can call/text and use google sheets on it i'm good. Everything else is extra.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
J-S
fullpampers
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iphone 5s
Firmware Version: IOS 10.1.1
ISP Name: Bell fibe 25 internet
Computer OS: osx yosemite

Re: Cell phone that works good with Fongo Mobile

Postby mh1983 » 02/24/2015

You may not have a BlackBerry option in mind, but I'm a former Android user who moved over to a BB10 device (Q5). Fongo was the key Android app I needed, and I must say it performs beautifully through BB10's Android emulator (4.3 JB, I believe) -- especially with the recent OS 10.3.1 update; practically feels like a native app.

No echo issues to report, good speaker, good WiFi chip so call quality on my home network is great...

Just my opinion, but Fongo on BB10 has been a great experience. Q5s can be had for cheap these days, and they still get the latest OS updates.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

thanks, I'll look into that. If i can use google sheets offline with it it would be a good option
fullpampers
Just Passing Thru

Oops, I missed your mention of Google Sheets in the OP. That's part of Google Docs/Drive? If so, I'm not certain if it'd work on the emulator. I can test it out and get back to you.

Another BB option with full touchscreen that should be fairly cheap today is the Z10.

A cheap Android option, I imagine, is the Moto G. Hoping others with Android devices will chime in here.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

Unfortunately, Google Sheets didn't work on my Q5 with BB10.3.1. The app initially loads but then a prompt says that no Google accounts are found. I suspect this and all the Google Doc apps are dependent on Google Play Services, which only runs on native Android phones and not the BB emulator.

Sorry I didn't have better news. If Sheets is a must have app for you, you probably want to try an Android phone with a good track record like the Moto G.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

Thank you for trying, I'll keep looking. I'll add the moto G and moto X to the search
fullpampers
Just Passing Thru

Postby Farnham » 04/24/2015

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to sort out the echo issues that people hear when they call me. On my end it sounds great, but for them they hear themselves talking, with a delay. I've tried a bunch of combinations of the echo cancelling settings and can't seem to get rid of the problem.
Farnham
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 04/24/2015

Simple solution is to use headphones that have a microphone on them. Bricks make for crappy phones, and need echo cancellation to fix that deficiency. Fongo usually does not use the echo cancellation that comes with the phone, and it own echo cancellation could use improvement. So the best option is to use headphone with a mic, and that way, the headphones sound is not picked up by the mic, which eliminates that feedback issue.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby bartekd » 04/24/2015

I always heard fongo works best on iphone. Thats what I have and have not had an issue.
bartekd
Active Poster

Return to General Discussions