Am I able to get Fongo home phone service in my area?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
famday
Just Passing Thru

Am I able to get Fongo home phone service in my area?

Post by famday »

My home number is 604-438-xxx and I am in Burnaby, BC. Could someone tell me if I am eligible for home phone service?
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Am I able to get Fongo home phone service in my area?

Post by Jake »

You can get the service anywhere in Canada. The question is if they have a number that is local to you. For example you can be in Ottawa, but have a Toronto number. These are the areas where they offer number currently http://support.fongo.com/entries/232117 ... e-numbers-

In BC you are limited to
British Columbia

New Westminister - 778
North Vancouver - 778
Richmond - 778
Vancouver - 778
West Vancouver - 778
By the looks of it.
famday
Just Passing Thru

Post by famday »

Hi Jake,

I should have clarified. I am actually looking to port my home phone number to Fongo and sign up for their home phone service which comes with the ATA (?) that I plug my cordless phones into.

Would I be eligible to port my home number (604-438-xxxx) to Fongo?

Thank you
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Ah OK, well this is a different list :) http://support.fongo.com/entries/228992 ... o-network-
I don't know if they update it at all, but that is as current as I think the list is. I don't see Burnaby, BC on there.

You might want to open a support ticket and see if you can get a better answer, but I think you might be told the same thing.
famday
Just Passing Thru

Post by famday »

I took a look at the list and there are a number of Vancouver suburbs listed but Burnaby isn't. I will send Fongo a support request but from your experience is there something that could prevent them from offering service in a specific suburb when service is available in other suburbs of a city?
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

famday wrote:I took a look at the list and there are a number of Vancouver suburbs listed but Burnaby isn't. I will send Fongo a support request but from your experience is there something that could prevent them from offering service in a specific suburb when service is available in other suburbs of a city?
Hi there,

604-438 is Vancouver.

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_pr ... nextdays=0

You should be able to port with no issues.

Thanks,
famday
Just Passing Thru

Post by famday »

Thanks for the support I have received in this forum, I've appreciated it.

I have just one more question. I'm going to order the Fongo Adapter ($59) and order home service ($4.95/month). I will order a brand new phone number to start. After a month or so, if everything works out really well, I will port my home phone number to Fongo. At that time, do I have to order a new Fongo Adapter or can the one that I purchased be "reprogrammed" to support my home phone number that I will port over to Fongo?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

You will keep the same adapter (ATA). What you will need to do is just change the username inside the ATA from the Fongo number you get to the number you port in. It's pretty simple and someone should be able to give you a guide in what to do.

Just so you know, you will loose the Fongo number you are given when you port in, so try not to get too attached to it :)