Password Protected calls to "out of free" area

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
yacir
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
ISP Name: Teksavvy - DSL
Router: TP-Link ADSL2+ Modem/Router

Password Protected calls to "out of free" area

Post by yacir »

hi,

is there a way to protect charged calls with some kind of pin/password?
For example, I'm using "World Credits" to make long distance calls. but I dont want anyone to just pick up the call and make long distance.

Rather, I want some control like if someone dials a number that is out of the "free city" zone, then he/she should be asked for some pin / password before using the world credit.
is there any way to implement such behavior?

PS : I'm using Linksys PAP2T with FPL voip key.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Re: Password Protected calls to "out of free" area

Post by Fongo Support »

yacir wrote:hi,

For example, I'm using "World Credits" to make long distance calls. but I dont want anyone to just pick up the call and make long distance.

Rather, I want some control like if someone dials a number that is out of the "free city" zone, then he/she should be asked for some pin / password before using the world credit.

Hi there,

A quick search showed me this post below:

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... nal#p50826

Please have a look and let me know.

Thanks,
yacir
Just Passing Thru

Post by yacir »

Fongo Support wrote:
yacir wrote:hi,

Hi there,

A quick search showed me this post below:

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... nal#p50826

Please have a look and let me know.

Thanks,
Thanks for providing me the link.

but i was not only looking for international calls. I was looking the same for "any" call outside the "free cities".
I know, i can play up with the dial tone to put some sort of control on international calls - by manipulating the international dial prefix. but that would not be helpful for Canadian cities that are out of free zone.
I do not think I can distinguish it utilizing the dial tone all alone.

Anyways, thank you for providing that link.
lolka
Just Passing Thru

Post by lolka »

What part of that linked thread did you not understand?

I copied the dial plan (reproduced below, then changed the 5683 and 3683 to my chosen passwords) and had been using it for a few months now with success on my PAP2T. Nobody can place a Canadian or long distance call without knowing the password.

(911S0|<5683:011>xxxxxxxxxx.|011!|<3683:1>xxxxxxxxxx|1!|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[*x]x.)

Oh, well! :roll:
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

@Lolka.
I believe Yacir wants to block calls specifically to non free areas in Canada. Even your dial plan will not differentiate between a free calling area to a non free calling area because with Fongo we don't have to dial 1 for long distance. Consider these two numbers 613-503-xxxx and 613-504-xxxx. The first number is free, the second one is not. Unfortunately there isn't going to be an easy solution for this, if at all.
yacir
Just Passing Thru

Post by yacir »

lolka wrote:What part of that linked thread did you not understand?

I copied the dial plan (reproduced below, then changed the 5683 and 3683 to my chosen passwords) and had been using it for a few months now with success on my PAP2T. Nobody can place a Canadian or long distance call without knowing the password.

(911S0|<5683:011>xxxxxxxxxx.|011!|<3683:1>xxxxxxxxxx|1!|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[*x]x.)

Oh, well! :roll:
@Jake
Thanks for explaining my point here. That is exactly what I was looking to do.

@lolka
As Jake mentioned that by your dial plan, you cannot block Canadian long distance calls ( that are out of free cities and you get charged by calling ).
But that is one of the problems, the other problem ( let's assume you have to dial 1 before making any long distance call) is that by this dial plan you either block ALL ( even free ) or you dont block any calls.
Which i do not want ( i.e. hassle of putting password even for free calls ).

Long story short ( as I already mentioned in earlier comment ), that i dont think it is achievable through dial tone all alone.
What I would suggest to FPL/Fongo is that when you place a call outside of free cities , you get an automated message "This call is not covered by your plan".
At the same time, if the user has world credits, the automated message could be "enter your password to continue placing the call..." . and in settings, user can have an checkbox option saying "ask for password when placing out of free cities call". :)

hmmm...i think i'm asking too much lol ... anyways, thanks everyone for your input
have a good one!