Porting my land-line phone number

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
wwooda
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.3.3
ISP Name: Xplornet - WiFi
Computer OS: XP
Router: Dlink DIR-655

Porting my land-line phone number

Post by wwooda »

I presently subscribe to a land-line based telephone service provider. I also have an active account with FreePhoneLine.ca. To gain confidence and work out the bugs in my ATA configuration (HT502), I "call forwarded" the land-line service to my FreePhoneLine number. All has been working bug free for about a week now, so I'm contemplating "porting" my land-line number over to my FreePhoneLine account.
Questions are:
1. Will I need to take any action with my land-line provider concerning the "call forward" or will the transition be transparent to me?
2. Will my land-line number and my FreePhoneLine number become synonymous?
3. Which number will appear on my calling records?
4. Which number will be displayed on a "called" party's caller id?
5. Does my FreePhoneLine number remain an active phone number or become my account number only?

Thanks,
alvin
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Porting my land-line phone number

Post by Jake »

1. Don't tell your phone company anything otherwise they will consider you as closing your account and may block the porting of your number.
2, 3, 4, 5. Your ported number will replace your FPL number in all respects. In other words you will loose your FPL number.

It will get a bit messy if you still want to keep your FPL number, but you will effectively end up doing a similar thing that you do now with call forwarding on 2 different FPL accounts.
wwooda
Just Passing Thru

Post by wwooda »

Thanks for the fast reply Jake.

Since my ported number will replace my FPL number, will I need to change the SIP User ID or Authenticate ID in the ATA?
Will I need to change anything about my Login to my FPL account?

Again, thanks for all your help and advice.
alvin
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Yes, when your number gets ported in you will need to change anything where your FPL number is now with your ported in number (including the initial 1).
You should get an email informing you of this though. This should be the only change you need to do to get back up and running again.

Your online login on the website will stay the same (as you use an email address rather than your phone number) as will your password.
wwooda
Just Passing Thru

Post by wwooda »

Thanks Jake.
I took the leap!

-alvin

PS - now to investigate converting my mobile phone....