Fongo - Voice quality just doesn't seem to be there?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
vannyi
Just Passing Thru

Fongo - Voice quality just doesn't seem to be there?

Post by vannyi »

I know there are lots of happy customers with Fongo so I'm not sure why I am having so many voice issues but here's the scoop.

I'm testing out a free phone number using the BlackBerry app. I've tried calling others on WiFi and others have said they can barely hear me and that the audio comes in and out. I thought maybe it was the WiFi so I disabled the WiFi and went with just the 4G but same issue. Just to confirm, I had someone use the BlackBerry to call me on a landline and cell phone and I could hear first hand that the calls were fading in and out.

Any thoughts, are there any tweaks that would improve the voice?
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Re: Fongo - Voice quality just doesn't seem to be there?

Post by mh1983 »

Have you tried changing the codec?

See here:

http://support.fongo.com/entries/256629 ... -AOSP-ROMs
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

It could be other things, but I believe your internet connection is just not very good. The speed of the connection mean little, what you need from VOIP is a clean, stable, jitter free connection to get good voice quality.

Far be it for me to say your internet provider is employing dirty tricks to make a competitor's VOIP look bad, but it is not like they have not done it before.

In the settings, see what happens when you select a low bandwidth codec. If it is the codec I think it is, it handles jitter better than other codecs.
vannyi
Just Passing Thru

Post by vannyi »

This is interesting. Is it possible that the Fongo app for BlackBerry just isn't polished enough yet. The codec setting mentioned above does not exist on the Fongo BlackBerry app that I downloaded through BlackBerry World, but I installed Fongo on my Android tablet and this setting is there. I'll try it out over the next day or so and see how it goes.