Fongo in the USA

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
kingbaida
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: ios

Fongo in the USA

Post by kingbaida »

Ok this will seem like a stupid question but......
Let's say I configure my fongo on my IOS with a canadian number.

1) If I go in the USA and my phone is under wifi or another sim card (unlocked phone). Will I be able to answer my Fongo if someone calls me on that canadian number ?
If this is the case, will I be charged longdistance ?

Thank you
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Fongo in the USA

Post by Jake »

Your Fongo number will always act as a fixed number for the area it is registered. So if it is an Ottawa number, it doesn't matter where you are the number for all intent and purpose will still be a local Ottawa number. You could be in China and someone in Ottawa will still call your number for free (local rate). You will still be able to call all the Canadian numbers you can now no matter where you are in the world, as long as you are connected to the internet and can get a voip connection.

The only time you will ever be charged a long distance charge is when you call an out of free area number. You will never be charged for an incoming call (after all, how would they bill you?)

So yes, your phone number will act exactly the same when you are in the states as where you are now. It is not location dependant.
kingbaida
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: ios

Post by kingbaida »

That's what I actually figured out.... Boy I feel stupid... Thank you Jake....
46jimbo
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 286
Router: Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1

Post by 46jimbo »

On the other hand, while you are in the States, if you call a local U.S. number, this would be a long distance call. It would be as if you called them from Ottawa.