Can I dial all Canadian number for free?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
hxcanada
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.3.3 (015) Dec 13 2
ISP Name: Teksavvy DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: TP-LINK TD-W8960N

Can I dial all Canadian number for free?

Post by hxcanada »

I have another question. I found that FPL can call most Canadian number for free, but not all. For example, when I call 705-328-2875 (Peterborough, Ontario), it won't let me go through. Is there anyone having the same experience?
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Can I dial all Canadian number for free?

Post by Jake »

Normally Peterborough would be a free call, but 705-328-XXXX numbers are listed on a Lindsay exchange by the looks of it (from the CNAC website).

Code: Select all

705,328,Bell Canada,In Service,Lindsay
I can't see Lindsay on the free calling list, so this won't be a free call.

This page lists all the free calling towns/cities http://www.fongo.com/calling/free/

This page has a rate look up tool (enter the initial 1 when looking up numbers) http://www.fongo.com/calling/long-distance/
hxcanada
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.3.3 (015) Dec 13 2
ISP Name: Teksavvy DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: TP-LINK TD-W8960N

Post by hxcanada »

Thanks. That explains.
Thai
Just Passing Thru

Newbie Questions probably has been answered a bajillion time

Post by Thai »

At home (Guelph, Ontario Canada), on home wifi I have a tablet with a Fongo account #1.

On my cell is Fongo account #2.

If my cell with Fongo account #2 is in Jamaica using the resort's wifi, can I receive calls from Fongo account #1 for free?

I would assume calling from Jamaica to home would be long distance and requires credits?

Thanks.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

As far as the Fongo app is concerned it doesn't matter where you are in the world. All calling rules still apply. If you can call a Canadian number for free through the app when you are in Canada you will also be able to call the same phone numbers when you are in Jamaica for no extra fees. Likewise anyone calling your number will be like you are where the number indicates you are - that is to say if you have a Toronto phone number then that will not change even though you are in Jamaica. Your phone number is still a Toronto number and you will not be charged for receiving the call in Jamaica.

It can be a bit difficult to get your head around, but because you 'connect' to the system via the internet normal location restrictions do not apply. Think of it the same as plugging a really REALLY long extension in at your home and taking it all around the world. Effectively your 'phone' does not move even though you are dragging that extension around the world.
Thai
Just Passing Thru

Post by Thai »

Thank you.