I cancelled my acct before porting...

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
vita_7
One Hit Wonder

I cancelled my acct before porting...

Post by vita_7 »

I didn't know that you shouldn't cancel your account before porting. Will it still work if I try to port now? I cancelled my account 2 days ago. If it fail will I still get charge $25 fees? Any suggestion now?
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: I cancelled my acct before porting...

Post by bridonca »

That was a extremely bad move.

I would immediately talk to the phone company you cancelled and tell them that you need your old number ported over to another carrier. You gave them a great opportunity for them to give you a hard time, and they are in no way obligated to help you.

As for Fongo charging you $25, my guess is that Fongo will still bill you $25 even if they cannot port the number over. They are still tying up their resources on the porting process.

If I were to guess, you probably will have a successful port. But again, make sure you tell the telco you cancelled you intend to port the number over. I do not know what hoops the telco is going to run you through though.
sinestra
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: Telco Systems AC-211
Firmware Version: 4.62 US (APP 22 )
ISP Name: BELL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Sagemcom Fast4350

Re: I cancelled my acct before porting...

Post by sinestra »

I called to cancel my services to vonage and to my surprise, they cancelled it immediately. I did not know that the phone would be deactivated so soon.
Immediately, I placed a request on FPL for number porting and thankfully, it was ported. :)

So what I mean to say is, register on FPL for number porting on the same day and you may get lucky.