FPL was intermittently offline

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

FPL was intermittently offline

Postby lisi891 » 12/14/2014

My FPL was connected to linksys SP2 ATA, but it was offline once or twice a month. Each time I have to restart the ATA by unpluging power cord, and the ATA was online again.

It seems registration failure causes the problem, and ATA could not connect server automatically after each offline.

Any solution will be appreciated.
lisi891
Quiet One

Re: FPL was intermittently offline

Postby bridonca » 12/14/2014

What do you have for a router, and modem? Not quite sure the exact model of the Linksys ATA, but I am confident, that like most Cisco VOIP gear, it is unforgiving if there is a even a slight misconfiguration. My first guess would be the router is starting to forget where to route the packets. Depending on the router, you might have to manually forward RTP ports from the router to the ATA. Let me know what you got for gear
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Thanks for you reply.

I did not understand that I had used other IP phone for many years, and there was never such an issue.

When I used I talk BB, I never configured any routers no matter where I moved. Internet speed did affect voice quality of I talk BB, but there was never offline issue.
lisi891
Quiet One

Postby bridonca » 12/14/2014

I have had gear get dementia. Works great for years, then forgets things. Might be an issue on Fongo's side, but seems unlikely. I am blaming your gear, because registration issues are purely gear related. Only time Fongo would give you issues is if your registration time is less than 3600 seconds. Anything less and Fongo considers that your device is hammering the Fongo network, and the Fongo network kicks the offending gear off the Fongo network for a period of time.
bridonca
Technical Support

The registration of my ATA is 3600s.
lisi891
Quiet One

Postby bridonca » 12/15/2014

I deleted your picture. No one needs to know your personal information. If someone finds out your phone number, they probably have access to your SIP account.

Your Cisco ATA seems to be working as well as expected. As I said before, this is a horrible ATA when it comes to fault recovery. Other than it's established shortcomings, I do not think there is anything wrong with the ATA.

I should have been more clear in saying that I suspect that it is your router that is slowly losing it's mind, and forwarding ports from the router to the ATA makes it easier on the router, because it no longer has to guess where to send packets. You need to specifically forward RTP ports form the router to the ATA, I forget exactly what the RTP ports are on the Cisco, but find out on your ATA, and forward them. What do you have for a router again?

Routers generally are not 100% when it comes to routing SIP packets, but it seems you had a good run until now. If the forwarding ports do not work, it might be time to look for a new router, preferably one with the option to flash to DD-WRT.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby hxcanada » 01/01/2015

I have similar issue since last week. By the way, I have been with FPL for several month without any issue.

At the very beginning, I also thought it was glitch in ATA. I am using Cisco SPA112. After unplugged / plugged the power, the FPL LED was still off. I logged in to ATA admin web page, and tried voip2.freephoneline.ca. Still didn't work. I thought it was an issue from FPL. After search the Forum, and I didn't find similar complain. I thought it might be caused by my ISP (Teksavvy). Then, I tried free SIP software (Zoiper), and I found it is working. It means that the ports was not blocked by my ISP, and the most important, the FPL is up and running. Then, I restart my router (TD-W8961ND), and immediately, the FPL LED became on. I realized that my router is the culprit.

I thought it was just a glitch, and the problem was solved after I restart the router. However, the problem came back again while I was away for the previous 3 days. When I came back today, I found the FPL LED is off again. I restarted the router again, and the FPL LED is on again. It is so annoying that my phone line got cut off while I was not at home.

Do you (Bridonca) or does anyone know how to configure my router or my ATA to make it stable? It just happened since last week, and it had been running perfect without any issue for the previous several months. Do you know why?

Thanks a lot in advance.
hxcanada
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.3.3 (015) Dec 13 2
ISP Name: Teksavvy DSL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: TP-LINK TD-W8960N

By the way, I did not use my old router (TD-W8960N) for long. For the past several months, I have always been using my current router (TD-W8961ND).
hxcanada
Just Passing Thru

I am using default settings for both my router and my ATA. The "Register Expires" of my ATA is also 3600.
hxcanada
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 01/02/2015

As I said before, Cisco ATA devices are not very fault tolerant. Hybrid router/modem combination usually are horrid routers, and your modems seem to be on that category. You would likely not have this problem if you got a better ATA like an Obihai product, which tend to to a better job in working around the issues a cruddy router creates.

I have never dealt with tplink modems, but their routers usually are awful, so I will go with that. You might be able to forward RTP ports from the modem/router to the ATA, but again, I do not have confidence the tplink can do that reliably. Is there a newer firmware update? Sometimes there is a fix in the newer firmware.

If I wanted stable VOIP, I would go this route. I would put the modem in bridge mode, and get a proper router, preferably one that can be flashed with DD-WRT. I would suspect your SIP VOIP problems would go away after that.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby hxcanada » 01/04/2015

Thanks. I believe it also related to some FPL VOIP servers or settings, because TekTalk VOIP from Teksavvy connected to the other port of my SPA112 is not affected, which is also using default parameters.
hxcanada
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 01/05/2015

hxcanada wrote:I am using default settings for both my router and my ATA. The "Register Expires" of my ATA is also 3600.

It's not just "register expires" that's important.

A. Registration Interval:
3600 seconds (1 hour)

B. Registration Expiry:
3600 seconds (1 hour)

C. Failed Registration Re-Try Interval:
120 seconds

visit http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to General Discussions