Data plan?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
vince_evolution
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: ipad mini

Data plan?

Post by vince_evolution »

Hello,

I am using fongo with my ipad mini and it is becoming my primary mean of communication. I am now looking for a data plan with a coverage in Canada AND USA. I will use maximum 500 MO per month. Anyone has a suggestion for me?

Thanks
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Data plan?

Post by bridonca »

Use wifi.

I wish I was joking. In Canada, $20 a month gets you a gig. http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/tablet-plans.html. Not sure what works in the US. Maybe freedompop? https://www.freedompop.com Pay $100 for a mifi device and you get 500 megabyte a month for free.
pitcritter
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Obi100/Obi110
ISP Name: eBox DSL
Computer OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
Router: Buffalo N300 w/ DD-WRT

Post by pitcritter »

I second the Freedompop suggestion. I've been using them for about a year now with very few issues. If you can follow directions, then you can get 1GB/mo for free.

I'm currently posting this from Florida using their service.

There is a lot of discussion at slickdeals.net about this service. Some are horror stories, but I suggest that if you're not willing to do a little research, then it's your own damn fault.

I currently have a Galaxy S3 phone with FP's free 3G/4G service. I get great service anywhere that Sprint has coverage (they're not the best, but they're getting better all the time). I also have one of their 4G hotspots. For that, it's a little different. You still get 1GB of 4G data every month, but if you'll be using it outside major cities, you'll want to pay for the 3G add-on ($3.99/mo IIRC). 3G is included with phones, but not hotspots.

I bought my 3G/4G hotspot from Newegg as a refurb for around $40. It's been great.

I use csipsimple (with my FPL credentials) and Google Hangouts on my Galaxy to give me free incoming and outgoing calls and SMS to US and CDN numbers.

The only issue is that csipsimple seems to be a bit of a battery hog.

I'm considering only running Hangouts and forwarding my FPL number to my US Google Voice number. That way, I can receive calls from both my CDN & US numbers and I can call and SMS US & CDN numbers via Hangouts.

I also use TextPlus on my phone so that my friends in Canada can text me on my CDN TextPlus number for free.

The setup takes a bit of time as well as some trial and error, but it works well for me.

As a summary:
Unlimited outgoing calls to Canada or the US
Unlimited incoming calls placed to either my CDN or US number
Unlimited incoming SMS to a US (Hangouts) and a CDN (TextPlus) number.
Unlimited outgoing SMS to US and CDN numbers

My monthly cost is $3.99 for 3G service on my hotspot. If you'll be in major cities, this is likely unnecessary. Wherever I've said "unlimited" above, it is of course, limited by the 1GB data cap, but I've never come close. You also have the advantage of a full fast data connection, not just VOIP.

I would also need to pay FPL to forward incoming calls on my CDN number to my US based GV number if I stop using csipsimple.

Call quality on Hangouts over 4G or decent wifi is indistinguishable from VOIP over DSL on my home ATA.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Shame that isn't in Canada, it seems like a good setup.
Just one thing, why don't you just use the Fongo App? From what I have found it is not a battery hog by any means and will save you forwarding your number to your US number and paying for each call. You have texting sorted out now by the looks out it, but the app will give you an extra Canadian text number.

I am from the UK and I am shocked by the cost of mobile plans over here, and the fact you get charged for incoming calls! I guess this is the side effect of getting free local calls, which we don't get back there.

Anyway, nice write up, I am sure someone will find it helpful.
pitcritter
Active Poster

Post by pitcritter »

Thanks Jake.

With all of the different flavours of FPL, I really don't know much about the Fongo app.

Can I use my FPL login and use my FPL number and world credits?

If not, what are the fees for calling/texting Canadian numbers from Canada/US/Europe?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Unfortunately the app uses a different login database, so you will have to sign up for a new account. There are 2 versions of the app, one for when you download it in Canada, and one from outside. You will have to see which version you are offered when you go to download it. Unfortunately the 'world' version is not free. You can of course use the Canadian version all around the world so that is the better version to get (because it is free).

The app is free, the number is free (you get a Canadian number as with FPL), you get free unlimited incoming text messages. The calling rates are the same as with FPL, so free to the free areas then long distance charges to all the ares areas, which it sounds like you are used to dealing with. You can buy a text packages which gives you unlimited Canadian texting, the best package being $9.99 for 6 months. You can also have unlimited US and Canadian texting @ $15.99 for 6 months. There are cheaper 1 and 3 month options, but work out more if you buy it for the equivalent 6 months.

The best thing to do is to download and give it a look. It won't cost you anything but a bit of your time if you can download the Canadian version. I think I gathered that you were in the US at the moment, so I don't know what version you will be able to get there.

It might not be right for you, but it is another service Fongo provides, so I thought I would mention it.
pitcritter
Active Poster

Post by pitcritter »

I'm back home to the snow on Sunday. I'll be sure to d/l the CDN version then.

I'll be in Europe for a week in April, so I'll try it there over wifi.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
bartekd
Active Poster

Post by bartekd »

Just curious if anyone knows how to get Freedompop in Canada? I am planning on traveling to the US in May for a week, and this would be great. I could still get fongo calls on my iphone when in the USA.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

There is nothing like Freedompop or anything close to it in Canada.
bartekd
Active Poster

Post by bartekd »

I mean is there anyway I can signup when I am in canada. I will be traveling and want to use it when I am traveling.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

I think you would have to order it, and have it sent to an American friend or a hotel you are staying at.
ebonyspear
Just Passing Thru

Post by ebonyspear »

SPAM