Why would Fongo cancel our accounts?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
carmendixon
Just Passing Thru

Why would Fongo cancel our accounts?

Post by carmendixon »

For the last half a year or so, I've been really toying with the idea about porting my home phone to Fongo, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

Instead, I've used the free number they have provided on and off (mostly off). I went to sign into my account which was registered under another email address and got the message that this username/password does not exist. Granted, I haven't used the account in a long time and I guess they cancelled it because it was dormant. What was disappointing was that there was no warning email advising that this was going to occur.

My concern is that if I were to port my real phone number to Fongo, what is the risk that they would cancel my account and terminate my phone number if I don't sign into my account reguarly? This is what happened with my free phone number.

Thank you
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Why would Fongo cancel our accounts?

Post by bridonca »

Under the terms and conditions, you have 90 days to make a call before Fongo decides to cancel your account. http://www.fongo.com/legal/terms/#9 Saying that, I have never heard of anyone getting their accounts terminated once they paid Fongo money, either by buying world credits, porting their number over, or buying Freephoneline SIP settings.

I believe Fongo cancels accounts to free up the phone numbers for other people to use. The vast majority of inactive accounts are registered and then forgotten accounts, so it was not a bad idea to recycle them because phone numbers are not infinite, better to put them to use.

Also, inactive accounts make Fongo no money. Of course, if you paid Fongo for another service, for instance world credits, or porting or SIP settings, it appears your number is safe from deletion, but I can not be certain of that.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Re: Why would Fongo cancel our accounts?

Post by Fongo Support »

bridonca wrote:Under the terms and conditions, you have 90 days to make a call before Fongo decides to cancel your account. http://www.fongo.com/legal/terms/#9 Saying that, I have never heard of anyone getting their accounts terminated once they paid Fongo money, either by buying world credits, porting their number over, or buying Freephoneline SIP settings.

I believe Fongo cancels accounts to free up the phone numbers for other people to use. The vast majority of inactive accounts are registered and then forgotten accounts, so it was not a bad idea to recycle them because phone numbers are not infinite, better to put them to use.

Also, inactive accounts make Fongo no money. Of course, if you paid Fongo for another service, for instance world credits, or porting or SIP settings, it appears your number is safe from deletion, but I can not be certain of that.
Hi,

re-> Of course, if you paid Fongo for another service, for instance world credits, or porting or SIP settings, it appears your number is safe from deletion, but I can not be certain of that

I can confirm that. Please see below:

http://support.fongo.com/entries/536381 ... t-deleted-

****Note: Accounts which have made a purchase are not subject to deletion due to inactivity (SMS, World Credits, Porting, etc.)

Regards,