Shared Line Appearances (SLA) on Cisco SPA5XX

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Shared Line Appearances (SLA) on Cisco SPA5XX

Postby gogu392 » 05/05/2016

Hi There,
I do own a Cisco SPA514G, works superbly with 2 independed SIPs, one from FreePhoneLine and one from an European provider.
The phone has Shared Line Appearances (SLA) feature.
My question for tech here is: can I buy a second SPA5xx and share the line, I want to have a second phone in another room?
What port should I use for second phone for 5060?
Cisco says that the feture will work as long the: "Feature is suported by call server".
Thank you in advance for any help.
gogu392
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: PAP2-NA
Firmware Version: 5.6
ISP Name: ACANAC DSL
Computer OS: WINDOWS 7
Router: D-LINK 2740B

Re: Shared Line Appearances (SLA) on Cisco SPA5XX

Postby Jake » 05/06/2016

Only one device can log into the account at once, so I don't think buying another ATA will help.

Can you just buy a line splitter ? http://www.newark.com/productimages/sta ... FB3F&01NA=
I think the local dollar store should have something like this, or theSource will definitely have one.

Using wireless phones with the base station plugged into the ATA is another easy way to have more phones.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby gogu392 » 05/06/2016

Thank you for your reply.
SPA5xx is not an ATA it is a 100% IP phone digital (nothing analog here).
There are a lot more options in a Cisco SPA5xx than any ATA.
Take a look, you won't be disappointed.
Yes, is not easy to setup as a regular ATA, a little more fancy and a lot more options. I will play around with them.
The sound quality and the speed of dialing of the wired IP phones is incredible.
I am placing calls overseas with one, two keystrokes (speed dial) and the connections is done in 1-2 sec. This is what I like the most.
I don't want any more wireless slow and delayed sound/connections.
I want crystal clear and fast calls, and that is done via IP phones (nothing analog or wireless on the chain).
gogu392
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 05/07/2016

OK gotcha, sorry I should have Googled what it was first.

In which case no, you won't be able to connect two of those phones directly to Fongo/FPL.

If there is no option to directly expand the number of handsets off of that phone, then the only other option you will have is to either set up a PBX or use a 3rd party PBX service (like pbxes.org). This way the PBX will connect to FPL, and your phones will connect to your PBX. What effect, if any, this will have on your call quality I have no idea. Looking through the description of the phone it sounds like this is what it is intended for in a business setting.

The only other thing I can suggest is to buy another unlock key on a different account and make your main number ring both the main and this second number on incoming calls. This isn't idea by any means, but it is an option which is why I mention it. It has the advantage of giving you two lines into the house, but the disadvantage of having to buy a second account and having a different phone number if you call out from that phone.

Personally i have been running a PBX for the past 5 or so years without problems, on an old PC I have in the basement. So I know that is the route I would go if I was in your position.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby gogu392 » 05/09/2016

Thank you Jake for your feed back.
I really appreciate your input.
I will keep you posted with my progress in this matter.
Best regards.
gogu392
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 05/10/2016

Well, (BIG hint to FPL, are you listening?) I am sure quite a few people would pay a fee that would allow them to connect more than one device to the FPL servers.

Judging by the posts that have got posted here over the years I'm sure an add on where we could pay 10 - 15$ (one time fee) for each additional ATA that we could connect, would provide a nice influx of income for FPL without overly stressing the current infrastructure. But what do I know though :)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby gogu392 » 05/10/2016

Jake wrote:Well, (BIG hint to FPL, are you listening?) I am sure quite a few people would pay a fee that would allow them to connect more than one device to the FPL servers.
Judging by the posts that have got posted here over the years I'm sure an add on where we could pay 10 - 15$ (one time fee) for each additional ATA that we could connect, would provide a nice influx of income for FPL without overly stressing the current infrastructure. But what do I know though :)

I am 100% for that and I am wiling to pay for it.
I bet the feature already exists on the FPL servers just need to be used, activated.
Where should I request that?
Feel free to contact me if FPL want to test the feature.
It will be my pleasure to help.
gogu392
Just Passing Thru

Postby gogu392 » 05/10/2016

On another topic, those Cisco SPA phones (SPA5xx) are amazing, not need to setup port forwarding.
Latest firmware on them and they run through Firewall router like a bliss.
Fastest connection and BEST sound quality. I can hear the breathing of the person or the echo in that room.
I have instant call, the other phone rings as soon the fingers depress the key.
I am done with wireless, I will stay on wired IP 100% phones.
Long live the SIP!
gogu392
Just Passing Thru

Return to General Discussions