What happens after porting?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

What happens after porting?

Postby DevinC » 07/03/2016

Hello,

My current setup:

1) don't have landline
2) using iPhone on Rogers' Pay As You Go plan which includes everything.
a) primarily use data and texting
b) rarely use voice plan but I have one anyway for .45 cents per min if I ever needed it.
3) outside of home, I use Shaw's Go WiFi network whenever possible

Questions:

I have an existing mobile number with my current carrier (Rogers) that I'd like to keep. There are three protocols under 3G umbrella - voice, text, and data.
1) When "porting" a number over to Fongo, does this mean changing to another service provider for the voice and text? Can I stay with Rogers for data?
2) I'm guessing that Rogers will require a phone number to be associated with account in order to continue to use data service. If that's the case, then after porting to Fongo, Rogers will need to give me a new number so I can continue to use data?
3) what do the pricing model look like after switching to Fongo?
4) I need conference calling support to work with any locations within North America.
5) texting within North America
6) if not on cellular data or on WiFi network, can I still receive text via Fongo?

Thanks,

Devin
DevinC
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPhone 6+
ISP Name: Rogers

Re: What happens after porting?

Postby bridonca » 07/03/2016

1) When "porting" a number over to Fongo, does this mean changing to another service provider for the voice and text? Can I stay with Rogers for data?
You need another account and another SIM card because your current Rogers SIM card will be invalid once the porting process is completed.
2) I'm guessing that Rogers will require a phone number to be associated with account in order to continue to use data service. If that's the case, then after porting to Fongo, Rogers will need to give me a new number so I can continue to use data?
You will also need a new SIM card from Rogers, and set up a new account.

This is probably a good opportunity to switch carriers. Fido has a tablet plan that will use your Rogers phone and uses the Rogers towers, and the data rates are the best out there currently. You can get up to 1GB/3GB/5GB for $15/$25/$35 and it is $10 a GB over that.
3) what do the pricing model look like after switching to Fongo?

With Fongo, calls to most areas of Canada is free. I think it costs around $10 for 6 months for texting. Fongo MMS is not ready for prime time.
4) I need conference calling support to work with any locations within North America.

I think that kind of works, never tried it. There are other options if Fongo is not up to it.
5) texting within North America

I believe Fongo has a texting package that covers North America. Forget the costs, but I remember the price being reasonable.
6) if not on cellular data or on WiFi network, can I still receive text via Fongo?

There is a feature in Fongo that will allow you to forward Fongo texts to your new cell phone number if you pay for a texting package. That should work for you when you have no data or wifi.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to General Discussions