can i use Fongo on my phone ?

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

can i use Fongo on my phone ?

Postby travv » 03/10/2017

I am new to the mobile phone stuff, and I have a few questions. I am in Halifax, I am a senior, and i just got a Nokia Lumia mobile phone. It is unlocked and I never have used it. It doesn't have a SIM card in it. I would like to use the phone for free local calls. Can i use it with Fongo? If so, how? I have Bell Aliant internet, if that makes any difference. If i can use the phone , do i just use in my place or when I am outside? Thank you for any advice.
travv
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: nokia lumnia
Computer OS: windows 10

Re: can i use Fongo on my phone ?

Postby bridonca » 03/10/2017

Sadly, Fongo does not have a client that supports Lumia phones, so you need to get another phone if you want to use Fongo. The Fongo client only supports Android and Apple phones. If you wanted to make free phone calls with your Lumia phone, you would need to install a SIP client on your Lumia phone, and you would have to get SIP settings from Fongo's sister site, freephoneline.ca Sadly, it is not cheap, freephoneline SIP settings cost $80, but once you pay that, you will never have to pay another phone bill again, and you can use those SIP settings for any other SIP device. A popular use for SIP settings is to use them on a SIP device, which allows you to use a regular landline telephone with your internet connection. Gear like that costs about $50 if you get it on sale. Again, once you make those purchases, there are no more costs when it comes to making most phone calls and receiving all calls.

When you have a phone that is compatible with Fongo, or get SIP settings from freephoneline, as long as you have a decent internet connection, you can make free phone calls. If you have a cell phone plan that uses data, you can also use that for calls.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby travv » 03/10/2017

thank u for the info , so if i get an apple or andriod phone ,do i still need a sim card , do i have to sign up with any company ? i just get a phone and fongo will work ?
travv
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: nokia lumnia
Computer OS: windows 10

Postby mh1983 » 03/11/2017

bridonca wrote:Sadly, Fongo does not have a client that supports Lumia phones, so you need to get another phone if you want to use Fongo. The Fongo client only supports Android and Apple phones. If you wanted to make free phone calls with your Lumia phone, you would need to install a SIP client on your Lumia phone, and you would have to get SIP settings from Fongo's sister site, freephoneline.ca Sadly, it is not cheap, freephoneline SIP settings cost $80, but once you pay that, you will never have to pay another phone bill again, and you can use those SIP settings for any other SIP device. A popular use for SIP settings is to use them on a SIP device, which allows you to use a regular landline telephone with your internet connection. Gear like that costs about $50 if you get it on sale. Again, once you make those purchases, there are no more costs when it comes to making most phone calls and receiving all calls.

When you have a phone that is compatible with Fongo, or get SIP settings from freephoneline, as long as you have a decent internet connection, you can make free phone calls. If you have a cell phone plan that uses data, you can also use that for calls.

The Fongo client works on BlackBerry 10 phones, too.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Postby bridonca » 03/11/2017

travv wrote:thank u for the info , so if i get an apple or andriod phone ,do i still need a sim card , do i have to sign up with any company ? i just get a phone and fongo will work ?

You do not need to get a SIM card or a wireless data plan to use Fongo. All you need is wifi. You can even use a much cheaper ipod touch for Fongo if an Apple product is your thing. Most Android devices work with Fongo, although if you see an Android device that interests you, just let us know before you buy it. There are a lot of cheap Android phones that are just awful phones. I have a phone I recommend though, Atlantic Superstore is selling a President's Choice mobile ZTE X2 phone for $100.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to General Discussions