General use Questions

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

General use Questions

Postby Scotfree » 10/13/2017

HI there. I just recently installed Fongo but haven't used the service yet. (I'm a Fido customer with a Pulse plan.). I've browsed the forums but haven't found clarification:

1) Could I drop my Fido plan down to just a data plan and use that as my own personal wifi connection when outside the home or anywhere I have a rogers data connection?

2) Is it true the VOIP call use-age is extremely low in data usage? What could a user expect for mb's on average?

3) I'd want to keep my fido number and i'd want to "forward" it to my new fongo number. That way all of my contacts do not need my new fongo number when they call my long time fido number.

4) Are dropped phone calls a "thing"? How reliable is the reception?

Thanks for any insight
Scotfree
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Iphone 6
Firmware Version: IOS11
ISP Name: Shaw Cable
Computer OS: win 10

Re: General use Questions

Postby Jake » 10/13/2017

1. Theoretically yes, but that would depend on if this is something you want to do and if Fido will let you do it of course.
2. https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... pplication This will give you an idea of how much data calls make. The total usage will depend on how long you are spending on calls.
3. In this case you would port your number in which would replace your Fongo number so no forwarding will be needed. Basically you will be moving your Fido number over to Fongo.
4. That will depend a lot on your hardware and network. The system works on having a suitable internet connection. As long as you have one of those Fongo should work. If you don't have an internet connection, then obviously the call will drop. The "reception" part will be down to the wifi and mobile networks available to you I guess.

The beauty of the Fongo system is it is free with no obligations to ever have to pay anything, so use it with your Fongo number you have now and see how it works for you. If you find it is suitable for you, then you can take the next step of porting in your number. If you find it doesn't do what you wanted it to, then you just install it and you haven't lost anything but a little bit of time :)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby Scotfree » 10/13/2017

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes that was my plan - try before I jump. Fido subsidiary seems to discourage this and the voice/data plan is $45. Bell / Rogers have mobile internet data but I don't think $10 for 100 mb's is going to last long and then jumps to 30. I have my shaw wifi of course but my concern is being out and about. I might shave about 30$ if I decide to go through with it after porting the #. The voip experience would be a big change.
Scotfree
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Iphone 6
Firmware Version: IOS11
ISP Name: Shaw Cable
Computer OS: win 10

Postby Jake » 10/13/2017

I know there are a few here that just run data plans for their accounts, maybe they will chime in if they read this thread. Personally I would evaluate if going full VOIP is OK for you. If not missing calls is of the utmost importance to you, then it might not be for you to go solo voip. The unlimited free calls through VOIP is obviously a huge plus, and I think it's mainly why the cell companies don't like selling data only plans for phones.

Personally I am OK with missing the odd call. They would all go to voicemail if I had my way :)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby bridonca » 10/14/2017

Fongo uses 0.5 MB of data per minute. I currently have Fongo using a Fido $15 data plan, which has a quota of 3 GB. I believe the newer plans are reduced to 2 GB.

Some observations.

For the most part, Fongo VOIP just works. There are occasions that you might get dropouts though, but I do not think it is that big a deal, especially considering the cost. Voice is still better, but not that much better.

You need a good phone for VOIP, something like a LG G3 or better. I have used weaker phones, and they do not have the horsepower to handle VOIP well.

If you are using Android phones past Marshmallow, you might have to disable doze mode on you voip apps, because that power saving mode wrecks havoc on incoming calls, and the mode does not seem to save much power anyway.

Fido is telling a half truth when it comes to using VOIP on their service. If you are in a bad fringe area, VOIP is not going to be that good, and voice calls will likely be a little better.

If you have a Fido plan with voice and data, by all means, install the Fongo app and use it, if you have enough data quota. It is no different from the tablet plan. Heck, even the tablet plan offers voice, at something like $0.95 a minute. You can get fido to disable voice and texting, to prevent accidental use.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby ayaanleo » 09/08/2018

I have open an account with freephoneLine and it works ok for the last 4 months, And I just realize today that this phone number is no longer working, the message say the account number is not valid??? , I try to log in and my account is disappear.

I open a new account but now I have a new phone number, who should I call to get my old phone number back?

Anyone can help?
Get Cric dad World Cup 2019 Ball By Ball Live Cricket score, Today Match Toss jackpot Predictions Who Will Win, Today Match Prediction Auto refresh Update and Cricket Match Prediction.
ayaanleo
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: abc
Firmware Version: asdasfq2e2
ISP Name: qwd1242
Computer OS: asdfqwd12
Router: asdcq221

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/09/2018

ayaanleo wrote:I have open an account with freephoneLine and it works ok for the last 4 months, And I just realize today that this phone number is no longer working, the message say the account number is not valid??? , I try to log in and my account is disappear.

I open a new account but now I have a new phone number, who should I call to get my old phone number back?

Anyone can help?

Visit https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... t-deleted-.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to General Discussions