Crazy idea about using preprovisioned spa122 ATA

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Crazy idea about using preprovisioned spa122 ATA

Postby Stnick » 02/08/2018

I have been using YAK the last several years and only recently became aware of more generic SIP solutions like those of FPL, so I enthusiastically went and bought the unlock key at freephoneline.ca
Unfortunately, I then discovered that my spa122 is preprovisioned to only work with YAK.
This uneditable setting "Restricted Access Domains: yak.ca, yakdigital.ca, yakdigitalphone.ca, globalive.com, yakhomephone.ca, globalivevoip.com" would indicate that I'm about to go shopping for a new ATA.

However, before I do I wondered....If I were to use iptables/hosts file on my router (with dd-wrt) to point the restricted domains at freephoneline.ca then could I 'fool' the ata into working?

Or is this the type of crazy idea that someone with not quite enough knowledge comes up with? Should I waste time trying to figure out how to configure my router or is it a pipe dream?

I'd appreciate it if someone who actually understands networking could chime in.
Stnick
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: cisco spa122
Firmware Version: 1.3.5
ISP Name: TELUS
Computer OS: Windows/Ubuntu
Router: Netgear R7000

Re: Crazy idea about using preprovisioned spa122 ATA

Postby Jake » 02/09/2018

I don't think it would take that much to edit the hosts file so I think I would definitely have a go at that. It's an interesting idea you have come up with and I would probably do it regardless, but I tend to get caught up with time wasters like this anyway.

Just as a thought I found this on a site about unlocking ATAs

sometimes the ATA is locked to a provider by using some host name(s) in the Restricted Access Domains field in the System tab which is sometimes grayed out so it can't be changed. In these cases, the Line 1 of the ATA will not connect to any VoIP service unless the server's host name matches one of the restricted domains. However, if you have access to the Admin page, you can use the Line 2 of the ATA with any provider.

I've never tested it and it does seem a bit strange that only Line 1 would be restricted, but it might be worth a shot if you have access to the rest of the ATA. I also believe the 122 is a 2 line device, but I could be wrong there also.
If it does work it will mean that you can only use half of your ATA, but then again at least you will be able to use half your ATA :)

I would be interested in knowing if you do delve into the hosts file idea.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Crazy idea about using preprovisioned spa122 ATA

Postby Stnick » 02/10/2018

I ended up ordering a new ATA... since it will entail much less time than I imagine it would take on the exploratory voyage. I had an opinion over on the superuser stackexchange that cast some doubt on the idea, saying that in principal it should work, but in practice... and I had already ordered a new ATA by the time I got that message anyway. Well, now I have a no-pressure opportunity to play with it. I'll post back if I try anything.
Stnick
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: cisco spa122
Firmware Version: 1.3.5
ISP Name: TELUS
Computer OS: Windows/Ubuntu
Router: Netgear R7000

Return to General Discussions