Fongo in the US, communication to Canada

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
adamma167
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: WIndows

Fongo in the US, communication to Canada

Post by adamma167 »

1.What plan I need to be able to text to Canada?
2. As well as get verification messages?
3. Also if I don't sign up for paid texts, can my friends/family still send text messages to me from Canada? And I'll be able to see them.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Fongo in the US, communication to Canada

Post by Jake »

1. If you want to text a Canadian Number, you will want the Canadian Texting plan.
2. If you have a texting plan (any texting plan) you have a chance of getting verification codes through. They make no promises though - https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ort-codes-
3. Yep, all normal incoming texts will come in normally and won't be blocked.

If you are still in Canada, then I would suggest downloading the app and testing it to see what the limitations are. It's free to try.
If you are in the US you will probably have to download the World Edition version, which is a paid app.

As a note, Fongo to Fongo messages are free.
adamma167
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: WIndows

Post by adamma167 »

Jake wrote:1. If you want to text a Canadian Number, you will want the Canadian Texting plan.
2. If you have a texting plan (any texting plan) you have a chance of getting verification codes through. They make no promises though - https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ort-codes-
3. Yep, all normal incoming texts will come in normally and won't be blocked.

If you are still in Canada, then I would suggest downloading the app and testing it to see what the limitations are. It's free to try.
If you are in the US you will probably have to download the World Edition version, which is a paid app.

As a note, Fongo to Fongo messages are free.
Thanks for the reply!
Just wanted to make sure. If I use the use the free version, can i still text people from Canada for free? I'm guess I only have a limited amount of texts before I asked to upgrade right?
And all incoming texts come to me normally regardless of free of im free or not, same with verification codes?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

If the other person is also using Fongo, then texting their Fongo number is free. Without a text plan, you cannot send any text messages to any non-Fongo number/app. It essentially becomes a messaging app without a text plan.
The above applies to the free version or the World version.

All incoming texts are free, no matter what version you have with or without a text plan.

Verification Codes are a different beast.
I generally do not have a text plan.
A lot of times the companies will say they won't send codes to VoIP numbers.
Other times I might a code through, but 95% of the time they do not work.
Sometimes I will get a message from Fongo that they have received a verification code, but I need to upgrade to see it.
I have bought a text plan before in order to get a code. Once it came through and once it didn't (from a different company). :shrug:
They make no promises that any codes will ever get through, but you have a better chance if you have a text plan.

If you can get the free version (Canadian not the World version), then I would suggest downloading it and giving it a try.