Typical questions a new guy might ask.

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Re: Typical questions a new guy might ask.

Postby bridonca » 01/22/2014

With Freephoneline, you can always get the free account to check if forwarding to your land line works. If that is all you want to do, free is your cost. If you want SIP settings, that costs $50, if you want to port over an old number to freephoneline, that is another $25 porting charge. You need a good router, preferably one that can be flashed to a stable firmware like DD-WRT, and an ATA, like a product like Obihai. After that, you no longer have to pay anything for phone service.

Fongo, Freephoneline's sister service, offers a free android and iphone client, that makes free calls to most cities in Canada. If you need SIP settings, that costs $5 a month. $25 porting fee.

I do not recommend using freephoneline for faxing. It can work, and freephoneline does nothing to stop you from faxing, but if your internet connection is not perfect, you will have a problem. This has nothing to do with the freephoneline service, faxing and VOIP are just not the best of friends. You need SIP setings and a decent ATA for faxing. Again, results may vary, and it is not freephoneline's fault if the faxing does not work.

I would personally go for the free accounts of both Fongo and Freephoneline, get comfortable with both, and if you can live with their limitations, then spend money on the service. They are good services, but they have their issues, and if you can live with them, you should be happy for the most part, considering the vast amounts of money you save using them.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Freephoneline - $50.00* - things you need to know

Postby nav » 07/28/2014

Hi
I'm new to free phone line. I have few questions before I opt in for this service:
1.) I have my own ATA. And planning to choose the one time $50 SIP. Are there any other or hidden charges apart from $50?

2.) How is the call quality?
3.) Does it has Call waiting feature?
4.) I am sure it comes with caller ID. But want to know if there are any issues. Does it dispaly correct numbers and not missing any digits?

5.) The most important. Will I be able to port my existing home phone number to the one time payment $50 dollar plan? Im sure I can . But want to be 100%.

6.) And last one. Any limitations of this plan as compared to other VOIP services.?

I will appreciate the replies.

Thank you.
Nav
nav
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: cisco
ISP Name: dsl bell

Postby Jake » 07/28/2014

1. it is $50 +TAX, but other than that no, there are no hidden charges.
2. Very good. Someone people have problems but usually these can be sorted out.
3. yes.
4. for incoming calls you will only see the phone number. Other TelCos will do a lookup on your number to try and find a name before they pass the call to your phone, but this costs money. FPL will just pass along whatever phone number it has been given as the calling party.
5. yes as long as you have not cancelled the service you are with BEFORE the port has been completed. Only cancel after your number is on the FPL system or the port will probably fail. There is a $25+TAX fee for this.
6. I don't know if limitations is the right word, but it is different to other voip services. With FPL you get a free number and can call lots of cities within Canada for free. There are no monthly fees and you only really need to pay (in advance in the form of world credits) when you need to call outside the free calling list. http://www.fongo.com/calling/free/
The only other thing might be there is limited free support for this service. You can get lots of free help on the forum, but that is usually community members that help. If you need official help with things there is now a $20 +TAX per incident charge.

My advice would be to sign up for the service and pay for the unlock key and use the service using the free number you were given on signup. Once you are happy you have things working then port in your number.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby nav » 07/28/2014

Ello Jake

I really appreciate for the detailed reply. After reading it, im sure, it will not be a regret.
thank you.
nav
Just Passing Thru

Postby nav » 09/12/2014

I am using $50 VOIP unlock key under freephoneline account.
I understand thst I can take the ATA box anywhere in Canada and use it freely where i can get an access to internet.
But can I take the ata anywhere in the world? I am going back home to India for about 2 months. I have access to fast internet there.

Will it work properly there ?
Any restrictions in making or receiving calls?

Also I need to know what is the minimum internet speed requirements to use VOIP thru ATA? Though I have access to fast speed internet there but I will be travelling to some remote locations where the max speed is either 512kbps OR 1 mbps.
Will it work on both speeds?

Thanks
nav
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 09/12/2014

It doesn't really matter where you connect your ATA to in the world, it will still behave the same everywhere. There are no call restrictions if you connect in India. People will still be able to call your Canadian phone number and it will ring your ATA, just as though you are still in Canada.

It is impossible to tell if it will work properly unfortunately. It will all be down to what connection you have to the internet. If your provider blocks voip ports, it won't work, some hotels might completely block those ports as another example. If it is a normal internet connection will no restrictions, the chances are it will. It's no different to here really, some people have no problem getting it to work, some have to forward ports to make it work The case will be the same when you are India, it will more than likely work out of the box, but you might have to jig around with the router.

As far as speed goes, you may be pushing it with the slower speeds. According to this page you should be OK http://www.myvoipprovider.com/en/FAQs/V ... o_use_VoIP
but Fongo says different http://support.fongo.com/entries/228840 ... rnet-speed

If you are travelling to India and are taking your mobile with you, I would suggest downloading the Fongo app here (you won't be able to download it there unless you play around with proxies) then you can forward your FPL number to your Fongo number. A mobile app might be easier than messing around with an ATA and wired phone if you are moving a fair bit.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby maximebeauvais » 09/25/2014

Jake wrote:1. it is $50 +TAX, but other than that no, there are no hidden charges.
6. I don't know if limitations is the right word, but it is different to other voip services. With FPL you get a free number and can call lots of cities within Canada for free. There are no monthly fees and you only really need to pay (in advance in the form of world credits) when you need to call outside the free calling list. http://www.fongo.com/calling/free/

I understand that FREE calling is between major cities that FPL decided. If the cities that I want to call is not part of the list, how much does it cost? I know that we could buy credit for long distance but I could not find the rate.

So I guess that if I don't have any credit and I try to call a cities that is not part of the list, it will just say something like ''could not make that phone call'' ???

Well I guess that I found my answer, it was on the first page ;) I ususally go directly to the forum !!!

http://www.freephoneline.ca/ldServices
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: OBi110
ISP Name: Bell Fibre 25/25
Router: Bell Home Hub 2000

Postby lustucru » 09/25/2014

The calling rate for the canadians cities outside the free areas is 2 cents. Here is the link for international rates: http://www.fongo.com/calling/long-distance/

For each call, there is a connection fee of 4 cents.
lustucru
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Postby myski » 10/09/2014

Hello, I am new and I hope you can help. Here's my scenario:

1. I have a Toronto Rogers mobile number, it has been my primary number for many years and I would like to keep it for as long as I can minus the bogus charges.
2. I have a Blackberry, an iPad and Macbook Air which I plan to use interchangeably for phone calls and text messages.
3. ATA, SIP is completely foreign to me
4. I would like to port my primary mobile number but I also want to guarantee that during, after and beyond the porting process I will be able to atleast receive phone calls from my one and only primary mobile number. This means that should technical issues rise, I would like to have a back up plan that I can do in no more than 10 minutes: may it be reversing the porting process or having another phone number where calls to or from my primary number can be forwarded.

My questions:

1. What is the best Fongo platform to use for initial registration?
2. Given my situation above, would I need both Fongo and Freephoneline?
3. How is Fongo and Freephoneline service different from Phone Power?
4. Is there any value in setting up with Fongo Mobile, use the number provided to me, testing how it goes and replacing with my Mobile number? Is this even possible? If so, what's the procedure and cost?

Many thanks,
myski
myski
One Hit Wonder

Computer OS: iOS

Postby bridonca » 10/11/2014

You do not need to spend money starting out. Get a Fongo account for the desktop, and you can set your assigned Fongo number to forward calls to your Bell phone line. This will either work or it will not. I heard stories on Bell line not accepting Fongo numbers, but since I do not have a Bell line, I cannot confirm. If it does not work, no money put out, just a little time spent.

Once you have the free Fongo account working to your satisfaction, either through your PC or smart phone, it is time to set up a new freephoneline SIP account. You need a decent router, preferably one that can be flashed with DD-WRT, and you need a SIP ATA device, Obihai devices are pretty good and around $50. The SIP settings cost $50. So you are in on it for $100, but after that cost, you will no longer have phone bills.

Another bonus with the Obihai devices is that you also set the Obihai device to call numbers in North America for free that Fongo does not cover through Google Voice

If you need to port your old number to freephoneline, that will be an extra $25.
bridonca
Technical Support

Trying to understand FPL

Postby odx » 11/03/2014

Hi, I just registered and installed the apps, Before I go further, i need some clarifications, please try to guide me.

I work on the road as a rep and spend half of my time working from home. I've been using my mobile # since 10 years or so, I don't want to change it. I know we can switch the # to FPL for $25.
my mobile doenst get good reception while im in the basement in my office at home, that why I want to use FPL

1) If I transfer my mobile # to FPL, and I select FOLLOW ME with the "Simultaniously" option and I get a call, what will happen ? The apps will ring on my computer and my mobile will ring too ?

2) if after 5 ring, which voicemail system will take action... the one with my provider or the one with FPL ?
3) voicemail are sent by email to the one registered in my account ?

4) if I transfer my mobile # to FPL, and cancel the # with my provider, what is gonna happen with my mobile for SMS ?

What other option do you suggest me if you were in my situation. get a Cisco SPA112 and get a real phone at home to work from my basement ? If I forward my mobile number to FPL and after 4 ring it forward back to my mobile #, is it gonna be a never ending catch 22 ?

thank you SOOO much!
Eric Belec
odx
One Hit Wonder

Postby bridonca » 11/03/2014

I am not sure Fongo/Freephoneline is the best solution in your case. Is there anywhere in the basement or a place you have access to at home that can get a decent cell phone signal? If so, that is your new cell charging station. Leave the cell phone there, and get this gear.

Invest in some Panasonic cordless phones, specifically Panasonic phones that have the Bluetooth link to cell feature, that should cost less than $100 if you shop well enough. Once you pair the Panasonic Link to Cell cordless phones to your cell phone, you can use the cordless phones anywhere in your apartment, and these Panasonic phone will use your cell phone to make and take calls. If you already have a phone system, you can get something like this. http://www.amazon.ca/Cobra-PhoneLynx-Bl ... +phonelynx
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby rlim » 12/25/2014

Hi, I am currently with Bell and is looking to stop my phone service and rely on my cell ... until I met up with my friend over dinner and he told me about FBL. I just register and would like to setup an ATA for a physical phone. Is there a recommendation of an ATA device that is most reliable for this service?

Thanks
rlim
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Obihai Obi202
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: win 7
Router: Asus RT-N56U

Postby softech » 02/03/2015

Hi.. sorry, newbie questions again.

1. I see on this thread that the name display is not available for incoming calls.. so, only number will be display? just want to confirm.

2. other than the $4.95 monthly charge , do they have any hidden charges? a regular user with no long distance will be charged only $4.95 + tax for month? cos iTalkBB charge extra $2.88 on top of the advertised fee..

3. and there is absolutely no phone to call for support? everything has to be through email ?

thanks
softech
Just Passing Thru

Postby softech » 02/03/2015

Hi All,

not sure if my earlier questions was submitted properly

1. just want to confirm that there is no Name display for incoming calls? only number?

2. other than 4.95 + tax, any other charges on top? my monthly bill if no long distance charge will just be 4.95 + tax?

thanks
softech
Just Passing Thru

Re: "preferred" dial plan for the FPL phone service

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/04/2015

softech wrote:
1. I see on this thread that the name display is not available for incoming calls.. so, only number will be display? just want to confirm.

That's not completely true. I'm using Freephoneline. I get Caller ID Name on my incoming calls from other VoIP services, provided Caller ID name is sent (it's not always sent, in particular for a lot of cell phone calls, which is normal). Fongo Home phone is the same.

So if the provider sends caller ID name, then you'll see it. If the provider doesn't send it, then you won't. Fongo won't do CNAM lookups from a database in the event the provider doesn't send the information.

other than the $4.95 monthly charge , do they have any hidden charges? a regular user with no long distance will be charged only $4.95 + tax for month? cos iTalkBB charge extra $2.88 on top of the advertised fee..

I'm not positive because I'm not using Fongo, but I'm pretty sure Fongo doesn't play games like that. I'm with http://www.freephoneline.ca/
You just pay for the $50 sip fee, so there's no monthly bills.

I'm pretty sure it's just $4.95+tax per month (plus the setup fee and shipping and handling for the adapter) for Fongo Home phone though.

and there is absolutely no phone to call for support? everything has to be through email ?

With the exception of signup (1 (855) 553-6646 ext 309, I believe so: http://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: "preferred" dial plan for the FPL phone service

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/04/2015

rlim wrote: Is there a recommendation of an ATA device that is most reliable for this service?

I recommend Obihai ATAs. OBi200 would be a good choice.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

New user questions - please help me

Postby cyclist87 » 03/05/2015

ello,
Hello,

I just got my phone number ported from Bell to Fongo services. I just got back from Bell customer service and paid all remained invoices. My number still isn't working neither on the Freephoneline.ca or Fongo app.

I will give you some insight about my needs so you can give me the best possible explanation and option to me.

I switched to Fongo primarly as I travel a lot as a professional athlete and to be able to received calls where ever I am on the planet. What would be the pros and cons of using my phone number with Freephoneline.ca vs Fongo app on my mobile phone ?

- When I go to other countries for long stays I often buy a local sim card and would like to redirect my calls to those numbers.
- I am also interested in getting a home Internet physical phone with one of your service. (other number) and also an other business phone number. Is there any limits on ammounts of phone line a user can have ?

From what I understand, I would be better off having my personal phone number with Fongo iphone app and the other numbers on desktop apps or physical internet phones ?

Please advise me what is best and what I need to do next to process any account changes or setup.

Thanks

Jean-Michel
cyclist87
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: MAC
Router: Mac Airport Express 2014

Postby bridonca » 03/05/2015

Judging by your needs, I think you are better off with Fongo than with Freephoneline with your ported number.

If you do want something that with a phone jack, you can always get another account from Freephoneline, and pay $60 for the SIP settings. You would have to get an ATA device, which is a little computer that uses Freephoneline SIP settings. The ATA has a phone jack and an Ethernet port that connects to the internet. It is small enough to pack with your bags, so you can take it with you.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby cyclist87 » 03/05/2015

Thank you !

Basically, now I need to email back the customer support for them to assign it to Fongo? Where is it assigned right now ? My phone is cutted since this morning following the porting request.

JM
cyclist87
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: MAC
Router: Mac Airport Express 2014

Multiple FPL accounts?

Postby cleacy1972 » 03/06/2015

I have a freephoneline account that I setup a couple months ago (ported in phone number and ata credentials) that i'm quite happy with.

What is your policy on setting up multiple accounts? For example, if I create a new gmail account, could I then use that to register a new freephoneline account, provide the same visa information that I used on the original account, purchase ata settings again (and potentially port in another phone number), and have both accounts active without violating anything in the terms of service?
cleacy1972
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: obi202
ISP Name: FPL
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: dlink dir-862l

Re: Multiple FPL accounts?

Postby Jake » 03/06/2015

cleacy1972 wrote:I have a freephoneline account that I setup a couple months ago (ported in phone number and ata credentials) that i'm quite happy with.

What is your policy on setting up multiple accounts? For example, if I create a new gmail account, could I then use that to register a new freephoneline account, provide the same visa information that I used on the original account, purchase ata settings again (and potentially port in another phone number), and have both accounts active without violating anything in the terms of service?

More than one account is fine. If you tried to register 10 they might start looking at you, but 2 or 3 is perfectly fine and there is more than a few users around here with multiple accounts and unlock keys (myself included :D ).
Jake
Technical Support

Two phone numbers at the same time

Postby amelie » 03/07/2015

Hi! I'd like to know if it's possible to hold 2 fongo phone numbers at once? If so, how can i do that? I want to keep my current number and add another one in a different area code.
Thank you!
amelie
Just Passing Thru

Re: Two phone numbers at the same time

Postby Jake » 03/07/2015

just sign up for a new account with a different email address.

If you want the 1st number to ring when the second one is called, go to your online admin and add the 1st number in on the 2nd numbers account in the forwarding section.

You won;t need to have the device logged into the second account for this to work, but be aware that if the account has no activity on it for 90 days it will probably get deleted.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Two phone numbers at the same time

Postby amelie » 03/07/2015

Awesome! Thank you :)
amelie
Just Passing Thru

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions