Typical questions a new guy might ask.

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

Re: Typical questions a new guy might ask.

Postby alexalexf » 06/02/2015

Well, this resource is not really helpful, I didn't get any answers to my questions, and there is no way to find them out somehow else, as there is no phone support.
I think I will consider another Voip service. Good bye.
alexalexf
Just Passing Thru

How to get a freephonelines number

Postby doruroman » 06/02/2015

Hi,

Where do I go to get a free number please? What do i need to do?

Thanks
Doru
doruroman
Just Passing Thru

Postby chene » 06/04/2015

I have a question about port-in process.

I currently have a Bell landline with 3rd party DSL (teksavvy). I would like to port Bell's number into freephoneline. I understand there is a $25 fee and can be requested online.

This would effectively cancels my Bell landline; the implication is that I have to switch to a dry-loop option with teksavvy.

The problem I have is synchronization: How do I do this to minimize my internet downtime?
- Teksavvy told me they need to send out a tech to my house to switch my connection to dry-loop, but they CANNOT do anything if my landline is still active
- freephone doesn't provide a concrete date for the port-in, so I don't know when my landline will be cancelled.
- on top of that, Teksavvy is booking 5 days in advance.

so if I contact Teksavvy on the day that my landline is cancelled, I will be out of dsl service for about 5 days.

any suggestions?
chene
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Obihai 200, Sipura 1001, PAP2

Postby ckkatan » 06/04/2015

chene wrote:I have a question about port-in process.

I currently have a Bell landline with 3rd party DSL (teksavvy). I would like to port Bell's number into freephoneline. I understand there is a $25 fee and can be requested online.

This would effectively cancels my Bell landline; the implication is that I have to switch to a dry-loop option with teksavvy.

The problem I have is synchronization: How do I do this to minimize my internet downtime?
- Teksavvy told me they need to send out a tech to my house to switch my connection to dry-loop, but they CANNOT do anything if my landline is still active
- freephone doesn't provide a concrete date for the port-in, so I don't know when my landline will be cancelled.
- on top of that, Teksavvy is booking 5 days in advance.

so if I contact Teksavvy on the day that my landline is cancelled, I will be out of dsl service for about 5 days.

any suggestions?

Hi,

I will share my experience with you (you may not have the same).

I had a DSL line prior to porting my landline to FPL. After I requested the porting, I also requested my ISP to arrange for the Dry Loop to occur in about 14 days (as FPL indicated that porting may occur within 10 days). The porting did complete within about 10 days. To my surprise, the DSL continued to work after porting with the same phone line, except the speed was reduced to 3Mbps. Bell tech finally came to switch to a Dry Loop and reset my speed backed to normal.
ckkatan
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco
ISP Name: DSL
Router: Linksys

Postby chene » 06/05/2015

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll probably just go ahead and hope for the best.
chene
Just Passing Thru

Postby chene » 06/06/2015

once I port-in, will my SIP login info change?
chene
Just Passing Thru

Postby ckkatan » 06/06/2015

chene wrote:once I port-in, will my SIP login info change?

Yes, you will need to change your userid to your phone number (from the temporary FPL number).
ckkatan
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco
ISP Name: DSL
Router: Linksys

DellVoice, FPL, Fongo, ATA, SIP - how to rule them all?

Postby marvin » 06/15/2015

Howdy. I've wandered into other VoIP services since DellVoice disappeared. The main reason was that I loved how I could use a single number on all of my devices, PC, Android, etc and then that appeared to have become impossible.

Is there any service today under the Fongo umbrella that would allow my ATA, SIP clients, Fongo App, Desktop App, etc to receive and make calls via one, single number?

Looking at the forums suggesting that I sign-up for one Fongo line on my Android, yet another for the PC app, perhaps a 3rd one with the key for my ATA; and having to forward on to the other on my way to the office, then the other way around when I get back home; or tell people to call me at many numbers is simply not feasible.

Any simple way to rule them all services into a single number?

TIA,
Marv
marvin
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 06/16/2015

No not really, unless you want to go down the PBX route where you can either set one up yourself or use someone like pbxes.org

Fongo/FPL only allow you to register one device per account at a time.

If you are just wanting all devices to ring when someone calls you then you can set up simultaneous ringing on the main number you want people to call. Then when people call that number it will ring all numbers that you have set up in your online admin. Obviously when calling out it will only show whatever number the device you are calling from is using.
Jake
Technical Support

I am considering Fongo

Postby epavina » 06/18/2015

Hello, I am considering Fongo, but have many questions.
1. I am in the US, therefore I want to switch my current provider Sprint over to Fongo. What are the repocussions if any?
2. I want to use my old number. What are the repocussions if any?
3. I want unlimited Text/sms and mms and calls and a V-mail for messages? Is this possible?
What happens when I want to load Fongo on other devices like my tablet and other I Phone so that I can keep my old number but still use it on my I phone and tablet? I currently carry two I phones,
one number is mine, one number is a work phone. I want to load Fongo on my work phone and drop sprint, but keep the same old number? Looks like this is possible but I need someone to
tell me it is.
epavina
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: I6 & I4
Firmware Version: 8
ISP Name: Verizon
Computer OS: win 7

Postby Jake » 06/18/2015

From your post I don't think Fongo is right for you.

Fongo is a Canadian company and deals with Canadian numbers, so you won't be able to port your US number to it.
Fongo is not a cell company, you need some sort of internet connection to use the service, which Fongo does not provide. You can just use wifi.
Fongo does have unlimited text which costs $9.99 CAD for 6 months I believe. There is no charge from Fongo for voice mail. MMS is fine between Fongo devices, but otherwise I believe the other party will get a link to where they can see the picture.

Again, Fongo is not a cell provider, it is an app which is in addition to having a cell company.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby tacalin » 06/19/2015

I intend to buy the unlock key in order to setup a ATA.
I also intend to port my residential phone number.
My question is more related to the 911 service:
On the freephoneline.com it says that any call to 911 will have a $35 charge.
On the fongo.com site the 911calls are free.
Should I take the 5$/mth with fongo and have a free 911 service or take the unlock key and assume the 35$?
I would also like to know if I can continue to use my international provider without calling any local acces number?
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 06/20/2015

I am guessing your question is a cost question, and that will come down to if you think you will call 911 more or less than every 7 months. If it is more, then FPL is probably the way to go, if you call 911 more than once every 7 months then Fongo Home phone will be cheaper for you.

The other big difference between the two services is the support. With FPL you are pretty much left on your own with the help of the forum, with Fongo Home Phone you are also paying for support. Fongo Home Phone will also require you to buy their ATA, where FPL will leave it up to you to supply whatever device you intend to use.

There 'should' be no difference in how you use your international provider now, but that is difficult to say as I don't know how you use it now.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby tacalin » 06/20/2015

Thank you for the quick reply.
It's about costs, yes. I work for a telecom provider and I pay just 16$/mnth all inclusive (call fw, conference, waiting call, voicemail, caller ID etc). It should really be a cost related issue to go from them and a one time fee for unlocking VoIP and a one time investment in a ATA will do the trick.
So I saw it right about the 911 call... I don't call 911. It happen I think twice in 10 years and it was for medical reasons.
Regarding my international provider, it's Call Select who was bought I think by Comwave. The way they work is that they inform my phone company that they'll manage the international calls and whenever I dial an international call is routed by Comwave. I don't have to dial any prefix or acces code. I would like to keep it that way, if possible.
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 06/20/2015

Then no, your international calls will not work the same, sorry. Fongo will not have this sort of agreement with them. Fongo does have some fairly good rates of their own, but you have to preload your account in order to make those calls.

FPL will be a cheaper option for you by the sounds of it, but remember you will have to supply and set up your own ATA. It's not that hard and there are lots of people on the forum that can help if you get stuck, and there is a ton of guides that are known to be working with most of the popular ATAs.

It does sound like you will have to make a decision regarding your international calls though, as something will have to change if you make the switch.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby tacalin » 06/21/2015

Your rates are quite double than the ones I have with Call Select-Comwave (I pay roughly 1.9c/min for landline in Romania and 10c/min for mobile line whereas yours are 5 and 18c/min)
I'll see about this when the time will come.
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 06/22/2015

I don't work for Fongo so they are not 'my rates' :) I just help out in the forums.

I will also point out that there will be a 4 cents connection charge, no matter how long the call is.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby tacalin » 06/26/2015

Sorry, I didn't knew you're a volunteer.
The 4 cents will apply if I'll make the call through FPL, I suppose... I just called CallSelect and they told me I could keep them as international provider. I bought the VoIP key already and just finished the setup of my ATA. Everything looks good up to now. I'll decide over the porting this week-end.
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 06/26/2015

That is correct, the 4 cents is a connection charge when calling outside of Fongo's free calling areas AND when using paid world credits to make the call. If you are using your own solution to make these calls there will not be a 4 cents charge (assume any calls you do place are within the free calling areas/numbers)
Jake
Technical Support

Postby tacalin » 06/27/2015

Well, the horse is out of the barn :)
I tested my wireless phone with the ATA adapter and the results are good. So I decided first to forward all my calls on my land line to my new FPL number. Furthermore, I ordered the porting so I expect that in the next 2 weeks it will be done.
Then, I will see with Call Select if they'll be ble to take me automatically. If not, I'll use their local acces number and I'll have to change all my international phonebook numbers by adding this local access number followed by a pause or two in front of the actual number. I'll keep you posted.
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby tacalin » 06/30/2015

Hello again, Jake

Can I check someplace the status of my porting demand?
I know it says it could take up to 14 days, but I would like to know where I am
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 06/30/2015

tacalin wrote:Hello again, Jake

Can I check someplace the status of my porting demand?
I know it says it could take up to 14 days, but I would like to know where I am

The only thing you can do is send in a ticket http://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
Choose Porting Inquiry as the subject in the unlock key section.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby tacalin » 07/02/2015

Done. I'll post here the updates.

*Late Edit: The porting is "In Progress"
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby tacalin » 07/07/2015

Just received this email:

Dear Fongo Customer,

Your phone number transfer will be completed on: 09/07/2015.

You will receive an email once your transfer is complete.

If you do not hear from us by end of day on 09/07/2015 please let us know by responding to this email.

Talk Freely!

The Fongo Team
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

Postby tacalin » 07/09/2015

Well, today my porting was completed.

This is a fragment of the mail I received:

"Your phone transfer is now complete!

Please call your previous service provider to cancel your telephone service with them."

Now I'm officialy off the hook :)
tacalin
Just Passing Thru

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions