FPL and vmWare Workstation

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.
stew721
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: FPL Softphone
Firmware Version: 2.2.3.0
ISP Name: Cogeco (Cable)
Computer OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

FPL and vmWare Workstation

Post by stew721 »

I have vmWare Workstation on one of my notebooks and when I install FPL on the host, I can't get it to work properly and play nice with the VM. Uninstalling vmWare allows FPL to function correctly; once vmWare's re-installed, the issue persists. However, removing vmWare from said computer isn't an option.

When starting FPL while vmWare's installed, I get prompted to select the correct IP (from a list of 3) to use for the Internet connection. 2 are used for the VM and one (the first in the list) is the physical adapter. I select the physical adapter's IP and FPL connects to the server, but there's no audio wen trying to make a call and it gets disconnect right quickly as well. The best I can figure is that there's packet loss somewhere and/or FPL is passing the LAN IP (which I selected from the list) to the servers rather than the WAN IP, resulting in no return packets; hence there being no audio and the call being disconnected immediately.

Has anyone been able to get FPL to work on the host machine when running vmWare or am I going to have to wait for FPL to fix it in an upgrade?
Gamer's Gully - The ultimate gaming experience!
Gamer's Gully Emporium - Low prices, rapid delivery!
Bloodsong
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Re: FPL and vmWare Workstation

Post by Bloodsong »

You get a similar drop-list when connecting from a computer that has a VPN setup, but I've not had any audio issues with said setup, so I don't think it's a handling issue with forwarding the private-IP as the source.

It's possible that for some reason the VMware is taking over the listening port. Double check all your port forwards on the router as well (13000-13001, 5060-5061, 6060-6061) may all be used by defaults, and possibly set up on the VMware OS to block all incoming and outgoing on those specific ports (Using IP Tables or Firewall as is appropriate to your OS/Distro).

The only other suggestion I can give is to record a time that you attempt one of these calls, let it play for as long as it's willing until it drops. Record the end time, and give this information to Steve and Kris, they may be able to check server logs for errors and interrupts.
stew721
Just Passing Thru

Post by stew721 »

The ports are all open on the router as I did that awhile back when first signing up with FPL and even gave FPL ports high priority. There's no issue's when vmWare's not installed. It happens regardless of whether or not there's a virtual machine actually powered on or not, vmWare just needs to be installed on the system. I'll try making a call or two later and record the info about the calls to forward on to support and see what info they can provide, if any.
Bloodsong
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Post by Bloodsong »

stew721 wrote:The ports are all open on the router as I did that awhile back when first signing up with FPL and even gave FPL ports high priority. There's no issue's when vmWare's not installed. It happens regardless of whether or not there's a virtual machine actually powered on or not, vmWare just needs to be installed on the system. I'll try making a call or two later and record the info about the calls to forward on to support and see what info they can provide, if any.
Even when VMware is turned off, well isn't that interesting.
I've seen some people having issues running FPL from within a Virtual Machine, but knowing this could be critical to finding the true source of the problem. Anyone else have a computer with VMware they can attempt to install the softphone on? More data is better data.
stew721
Just Passing Thru

Post by stew721 »

Bloodsong wrote:Even when VMware is turned off, well isn't that interesting.
I've seen some people having issues running FPL from within a Virtual Machine, but knowing this could be critical to finding the true source of the problem. Anyone else have a computer with VMware they can attempt to install the softphone on? More data is better data.
One other thing I forgot to mention, if I install FPL on the guest OS, I can make calls from there. However, the audio is extremely choppy and very poor quality, to say the least. Both the host and guest are Windows 7 Ultimate. Even if it were to work flawlessy within the VM, which it doesn't, that wouldn't really be a solution. FPL needs to run on the host OS.
zombie999
Lightly Seasoned

Post by zombie999 »

Disable the virtual network adapters created by VMware and report what happens. If you are still experiencing problems, it has nothing to do with VMware. What firewall are you using?