caller id problem: Display Name is not displayed correctly

This section is for general discussions surrounding digital phone service.

caller id problem: Display Name is not displayed correctly

Postby volenin » 07/14/2009

Hi,

I have a problem with Display ID: when I'm making an outbound call, the 'Display Name' is not being reflected correctly on the receiving side, though the phone number IS displayed properly. In Caller ID, instead of my proper display name as configured in the SPA2102 Line1 settings (eg, 'John Doe'), I'm seeing 'Unknown Unknown'.

The post here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30 says that

Typical causes of call ID malfunction: The connection between our system and another company does not properly carry the Call ID information, or client is using multiple routing devices or ATAs with custom settings that interfere with the sending of Call ID settings. (this second possibility is never a problem for people who don't customize their settings)

I do have a central router (WRT54G) which is located 'upstream' from the SPA2102 ATA. The ATA is setup as a DHCP client to the WRT router with a static IP mapping. The router is set to forward ports 5060 and 5061 to the ATA as is. Are there other ports that need to be opened? Are there any settings that I'm missing on the ATA side? (currently I'm setting 'Display Name' on the Line1 tab, but there is also 'Auth Id'...)

Does anyone have their display name properly reflected as part of the Caller ID?...

Thanks,

Vlad
volenin
Active Poster

Re: caller id problem: Display Name is not displayed correctly

Postby Krazie243 » 07/15/2009

The ports mentioned are always in reference to devices that occur between the ATA and the internet connection. In such cases, Line 1 uses port UDP 5060, and Line 2 uses port UDP 5061. These can be changed within the ATA if you already have devices using those ports, but it is recommended to leave them as is.

Only the routing devices that feed DCHP to the ATA require their firewall ports to be opened. All devices that occur after the ATA are irrelevant.
Curtis Smale
Student of Wilfrid Laurier University
Krazie243
Active Poster

Re: caller id problem: Display Name is not displayed correctly

Postby voip » 07/26/2009

volenin wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have their display name properly reflected as part of the Caller ID?...

Vlad,

I'm using a Linksys PAP2-NA, I've got "Private Name" for my display name. It's working on outgoing calls, when it works (25% of the time)! The rest of the time the FPL server shows "Unknown" (even for number), and the generic 416 number!

I guess you can't complain for something that is free after all :roll:

Voip.
voip
Just Passing Thru

Return to General Discussions