occasional beeps when talking to someone

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
jam
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.16

occasional beeps when talking to someone

Post by jam »

Hey, I have this problem where sometimes when I'm speaking to a person I hear an occasional beep, like someone's pressed a button on the phone. The other person does not hear this and they are using a Bell phone line. I've googled it and it sounds most like a DTMF problem, though I think it's strange that the beeping occurs on my end, when usually this happens to the outgoing connection. I've read some people recommend setting DTMF Tx Method to Inband and some to AVT... What's the difference? I'd still like to be able to use touchtone features for voicemail ,or if I call certain businesses, but the beeping is quite distracting... Any recommendations?

Using PAP2T. Version 5.16
Asus WL-520GU running Tomato.
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Re: occasional beeps when talking to someone

Post by TheHardy »

What things in your setup could be contributing to this? Are you by any chance using a telephone handset where your cheek or something could be hitting buttons while on the call? Does it happen just with ONE phone, or have you tried using another plugged into your ATA? Cordless? Corded? Try out a few of these variables and see if it manages to go away. Just the suggestions that come to mind quickly!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

This is a common issue in Asterisk servers, when there are certain female voices involved. Are you a/speaking to a woman when this happens?
jam
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.16

Post by jam »

Yes, I am a woman and the times it has happened I was speaking to my sister. :) I thought at first it might be my cheek pressing against the keys, but it has happened since when I know I didn't do that...