Gigaset DX800A

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
Tazzman
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Gigaset DX800A
Firmware Version: V41.00-96.00.00
ISP Name: T3lus Optic
Computer OS: Windows7 x64
Router: Netgear WNDR3700
Smartphone Model: HTC EVO 3D
Android Version: 2.3.1

Gigaset DX800A

Post by Tazzman »

Good morning,

I bought the Linksys PAP2T configed it with FPL works awesome for the past 2 years without any hickups. Gigaset released a new phone, the DX800A. It has 1 normal line, 2 ISDN & 4 VOIP lines. I have configured the phone, there are not too many options to configure. The base says everything is ok, account registered ok but when I make a phone call I get assage saying "That Password Is Not Valid" I log into the FPL portal, double check the settings from there everything looks ok. In the portal it also says the PSP status is Disconnected.

My router is the Netgear WNDR3700, I have also tried useing the Telus ActionTech V1000H, Port forwarding 5060/5061 as I have 2 FPL numbers ( I am just trying to configure 1 line at a time) settings are as follows:

Router
All internal IP's are set to STATIC DHCP
DX800A SIP PORTS 5060 / 5061 192.168.0.4 (UDP)
DX800A RTP PORTS 16384 / 16482 192.168.0.4 (UDP)
I have even tried DMZ on 192.168.0.4

DX800A settings
Personal Provider Data:
Authentication name:178085*****
Authentication password: *******
Username:178085*****
Display name:JD

General data of your service provider:
Domain: voip.freephoneline.ca
Proxy server address: voip.freephoneline.ca
Proxy server port: 5060
Registration server: voip.freephoneline.ca
Registration server port: 5060
Registration refresh time: 180 (seconds)

Network data for your service provider:
STUN enabled: NO ( i have tried both)
STUN server address: blank
STUN server port: 3478
STUN refresh time: 240 (seconds)
NAT refresh time: 20 (seconds)
NAT refresh time: Automatic
Outbound server address: voip.freephoneline.ca
Outbound proxy port: 5060

These are all the settings avalable in the registration section. Any help would be most helpfull.

There are built in scripts on the phone but not for FPL.

Thank you,
JD
Just how the heck do you throw out a garbage can :P
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Re: Gigaset DX800A

Post by dibsmft »

I see that you have not had a reply yet. Your router is Netgear WNDR3700 is another one that gives problems with SIP ALG and so you should probably make sure that it has the most recent firmware (V1.0.4.55?) and then set 'Disable SIP ALG' checkbox on the WAN Setup page. I would have expected you to have problems with the PAP2 in this situation if the Gigaset is having problems but you never know. I also note that you have configured the outbound server settings but as far as I know FPL does not offer an outbound server service so you may need to leave those entries blank. There was some information on zGIgaset handsets posted
on the forum recently
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... set#p26976
and I see that it use STUN.
Tazzman
Just Passing Thru

Post by Tazzman »

Thank you for your reply.
The linksys pap2 gave me no issues with this router. I do have the "Disable SIP ALG" checked off as well. I looked at the PDF, the interface is identical to the DX800A so when I get home this evening I will give that a shot. Also, I signed up with FPL should I be useing the FONGO sip now??

Thank you, JD
Tazzman
Just Passing Thru

Post by Tazzman »

Well, I am at a loss. I have tried with the settings posted in the PDF (Thank you by the way) I have tried useing the voip.freephoneline.ca a,d the sip.fongo.com, I have even tried switching out the router with a D-Link DIR-825 revB router. no joy...

On the DX800A it states that FPL is registered successfully on the settings page. However, when I log into my account at FPL in the status there, it shows disconnected.

I have managed to find some public STUN servers it takes a bit longer for the DX800 to register but it does indeed register and still nothing.

Maybe it is time to call Gigaset and or FPL.. sigh...

I think I will take the Gigaset to the shop today so I can mess with it there at work.
CSCO
Active Poster

Post by CSCO »

Tazzman wrote:Thank you for your reply.
The linksys pap2 gave me no issues with this router. I do have the "Disable SIP ALG" checked off as well. I looked at the PDF, the interface is identical to the DX800A so when I get home this evening I will give that a shot. Also, I signed up with FPL should I be useing the FONGO sip now??

Thank you, JD
Conguratulations on the Gigaset purchase it is an awesome phone. I have Gigaset IP and SPA2102 running at the same time. Gigaset has more difficult opening/maintaining connection than SPA does. I have setup like below.

DSL router --- my router --- SPA and Gigaset IP

What is your service coming into the house? Is it a DSL/Cable modem without NAT? I cannot get rid of DSL router as it runs TV and TV won't work in any other configuration. I setup DMZ from DSL to my router and it seems Gigaset is working good so far.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I only mention this because I have had problems in the past with it, but how did you enter your password?
If you manually entered it, be careful with zeros and the letter o, also number one and the letter l, and a capital i they all tend to look the same in some fonts.
If you copy and pasted the password, double check that there was not an extra space copied on the end. This happened to me once and it took a while to find it.
Tazzman
Just Passing Thru

Post by Tazzman »

OH MY!!!!!!!!!

Ok, here it is....
1: I copied/past.. One would have thought that I knew better :P
2: STUN server is not required. Although I will leave it enabled.

I can't believe that the only problem was the copy/paste. Although the password showed correct and no extra spaces a physical type of the password was required.

I port forwarded port 5060, 5061 ( I have 2 SIP accounts) and 3478 for STUN to the IP of the DX800A and I do not have to DMZ that IP address. NOW for the real test. When I get home I am going to re-connect the WNDR3700 as it has a much faster processor than the D-Link DIR-825. I will keep you informed of the process with the WNDR3700.

Thank you all for your help. It was very much appreciated.
JD
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

The RTP ports looks to be wrong, that is what the old ATA uses, and does not seem to be the default RTP ports for the DX800A. Forward the RTP ports to what the DX800A is actually using, or configure the DX800A to use the RTP ports you have set up.

Forward 5062 to the DX800A as a SIP port, and make sure the DX800A is set up to accept 5062. Bye bye SIP ALG issue.
CSCO
Active Poster

Post by CSCO »

Gigaset defaults:

SIP 5060-5076
RTP 5004-5020
Disable "use random ports"
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Tazzman wrote:OH MY!!!!!!!!!

Ok, here it is....
1: I copied/past.. One would have thought that I knew better :P
2: STUN server is not required. Although I will leave it enabled.

I can't believe that the only problem was the copy/paste. Although the password showed correct and no extra spaces a physical type of the password was required.

I port forwarded port 5060, 5061 ( I have 2 SIP accounts) and 3478 for STUN to the IP of the DX800A and I do not have to DMZ that IP address. NOW for the real test. When I get home I am going to re-connect the WNDR3700 as it has a much faster processor than the D-Link DIR-825. I will keep you informed of the process with the WNDR3700.

Thank you all for your help. It was very much appreciated.
JD
Glad you got it working! Sometimes it is the little things that cause big problems.
CSCO
Active Poster

Post by CSCO »

It's weird now mine works without any port forwarding or STUN. I got Telus Actiontec and another router behind then my Gigaset behind that second router.

Costco Calgary 251 has Gigaset SL785 Twin pack for 99.97. I think I'm going to pick some up. Single pack SL 785 goes for ~$150.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

You do not need STUN or port forwarding if the router is smart enough to do it's job. If you also get an ATA that can figure out NAT problems for itself, that make life easier. Sadly, bottoms dollar gear usually has issues, and are priced as such.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

I suppose the trouble with voip/SIP is that it is not your PSTN phone with its nationwide even fairly worldwide standard setup/configuration and it is usually done for you by the phone company. Some voip providers try to make the installation of voip simple by providing preconfigured ATAs but they can't look after all the possible configurations of modem, router, provider attempts to inhibit/prevent voip etc. So, if you are setting up voip/SIP then you may have to accept that there may be a few hurdles to be met and cleared before the service can be reliable. There are quite a few methods used to negotiate NAT and STUN is only one of them but it is supported by most of the common ATA boxes (I don't think the very early PAP2 firmware supported STUN). Some of the more modern ATAs and IP phones are fairly good at getting around NAT problems but they still cannot solve all the problems (eg. in places where voip is actively blocked by the state). Port forwarding is not really necessary if you only use one voip/SIP line on a quiet network but normally setting static internal IPs and forwarding ports can be worthwhile and make services such as voip more robust. My IP phone does not use STUN as it has three lines port fowarding is used. My GS286 and SP3102 both use both port forwarding and STUN.
The Siemens Gigaset series are very popular in the UK and generally work well and they can have problems but Siemens has usually been quick to solve them and most problems that I have seen are connected with routers and a few strange proprietary modem/router/voip boxes provided by ISPs.