call limit to 30mins?

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
dundun
Just Passing Thru

call limit to 30mins?

Post by dundun »

I made a local call about 30mins then heard a long beep. I had to drop the call then called the same number to continue my talk. Is this a setting issue to my ATA or it is a limit on FPL?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: call limit to 30mins?

Post by Jake »

dundun wrote:I made a local call about 30mins then heard a long beep. I had to drop the call then called the same number to continue my talk. Is this a setting issue to my ATA or it is a limit on FPL?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Fongo doesn't have any restrictions like this in place. I have certainly made calls longer than 30 minutes without any beeps or cutting out.

It could just be a one off, but I would suspect it could be something to do with your set up.

I would do some more testing and see what happens. As I said, it could be just a glitch on that particular call, or there could be a bigger problem. It is not Fongo time limit though.

Let us know how you get on.
dundun
Just Passing Thru

Post by dundun »

Thanks for the quick reply. I also suspect if my ATA settings are ok or not. Is there anything particular I can check on ATA side?
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Post by TheHardy »

ATA could possibly have been trying to renegotiate the session with the server and caused the error? Not sure if it would try to do that on an active call or not.

As per Jake's suggestion, see if it happens again on a longer call ... and if so, is it on the same destination number? If you DO get the same error again, then for your 3rd test, try rebooting your router and ATA _just_ before placing a long call, and see if THAT keeps the error from occurring. You should then have been able to narrow things down again, if you are able to replicate the problem.
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
dundun
Just Passing Thru

Post by dundun »

I get you. I will keep an eye on it when making a long call. Thanks for the advice.
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Post by TheHardy »

Just a few troubleshooting ideas ... I cannot think of anything off hand that would CAUSE it to discon after 29:59 on you "on purpose" ... and I can verify that I have made over a 2hr call in one shot with no problems (other than scrambled voice a few times when my Inet lagged a bit....), but no forced discon ...

Let us know if it crops up again. Most of what I posted is TROUBLESHOOTING for after the fact, nothing really too preventative ... Sorry I could not be any more helpful!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

PC Softphone dies after 15:10 call

Post by TheHardy »

Took some searching, found the thread, but it is on the wrong heading .. oh well - Cannot be 100% perfect.

Using the softphone today (FPL on Win7 v3.0.3.0) and was on a longer duration call -- it cut out after about 15 mins. This has happened before. So the other person called me right back, and said that they had just gone to a fast busy, then dead air on their end. I only had about 5 mins worth of conversation left, but we got another 15 mins in -- this time, they got a recording first "We're sorry, all circuits are busy" then a fast busy and disconnect.

On my end, because of audio drop outs (not too bad, but hard to tell when other end disconnects) I have no feedback that this is occurring. However, seeing the timer, I know what has happened.

So ... why is this? I have snipped out the call logs for below ... can someone from Fongo answer why this is?
Other caller was from a Telus landline ... this has happened before, about two months ago, where the other caller was on Fido mobile.

anonymous 1778300**** 15:18 23.10.12 20:26:34 23.10.12 20:41:52 Normal call clearing Vancouver BC $ 0.00
anonymous 1778300**** 15:40 23.10.12 20:04:51 23.10.12 20:20:31 Normal call clearing Vancouver BC $ 0.00
stimpsonthecat
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Gradstream Handytone-496
Firmware Version: ?
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Asus RT-N16

Post by stimpsonthecat »

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?
My phone randomly disconnects (funny enough around 15 16 minutes)
exactly like The Hardy's problem.
It seems like all of a sudden I can't hear the person I'm talking to.
Sometimes when this happens get a busy signal after it goes dead.
It can be any number that I'm talking to that this happens to.
I have a Grandstream Handytone 496 ata.
This was used previously with another voip service with no problems.
I have my router port forwarded for VOIP.
I'm getting grief from my wife about this and would really like to figure this out.
The router and ATA all have been previously used and I've had no problems with these previously.
Does anoybody have any suggestions?
Obviously I'm not the only one with this problem.

My router is Asus RT-N16 with DD-wrt.
Like I said above.
I've used both the router and ATA with another service and didn't have this problem.

What router firmware do you suggest?
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

What do you have for a router? I blame that because that is usually the root of these type of problems.

Why do I blame the router? Well at least half of them have really bad firmware not suitable with SIP VOIP, I suspect if you update the firmware to something more recent or if you have the option to use DD-WRT, you should get better results. With DD-WRT, the problem will likely not happen.

I will tell you what your duff router is doing. The duff router usually only keeps track of the VOIP traffic for about 5 minutes, and then forgets about it. Your ATA is probably currently set to check up with the router every 15 minutes to remind the router that the ATA still needs the ports the router assigned to it. This confuses the duff router, and you lose the call.

A quick fix is to set the registration period on the ATA to something like 2 minutes, and hope the router clues in. But seriously, you need a good router to reliably do SIP VOIP, and you currently do not have it.
fefrie
Just Passing Thru

Post by fefrie »

On two seperate occasions, I 've had two tenants hook up to my router using vonage both complaining that their calls would be disconnected after 30 minutes.

The solution for both of them which happened to be that they were both with Vonage was that I had to put their ata's into the DMZ zone.

After that, problem fixed.

I'd also check to see what the registration expiry is set at. If it's 1800, I'd look into that too.
stimpsonthecat
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Gradstream Handytone-496
Firmware Version: ?
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Asus RT-N16

Post by stimpsonthecat »

I had the problem after 15 minutes I would get disconnected see above (Stimpsonthecat).
I used 2 different ATAs but could not adjust registration settings on either box.
I got so fed up I went and bought a brand new Cisco SPA112 and all my problems went totally away.
I wish I'd listened to my wife who said to buy a new box from the start.
Now both my wife and I are happy campers.
My audio is even 100% louder and clearer using this ATA.
My old box was Vonage debranded box.