Send/Receive Faxes

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!

Send/Receive Faxes

Postby xirurg » 07/21/2012

Hi All

Could you please tell me if I'll be able to send/receive faxes thru phone with freephoneline.ca.

Thanks in advance.
xirurg
One Hit Wonder

Computer OS: Windows 7

Re: Send/Receive Faxes

Postby TheHardy » 07/23/2012

*Maybe*

Fax over VOIP is unsupported at best. There are several posts and many mixed results. Do not count on it to work flawlessly. Depending on the machine involved on either end, the answer is MAYBE.

The voicemail system on FONGO will receive MOST faxes (some with errors, and large (over 10 page) will error out more times than not!

As for using a faxmodem/fax machine plugged into an ATA to send and receive faxes, it is all hit and miss, honestly. To max your chances, set your max speed to 9600. Tell the senders the same thing, downrate you to 9600 for sending to you.

There are also a few other config tricks you can try (do a quick search for fax freephoneline), but if you need something that is 100% reliable, this is NOT for you!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Postby Bloodsong » 07/23/2012

When sending I find it is hard to get more than 2 pages to be reliable over VoIP unless end-to-end T.38 is correctly implemented. There are fax solutions for VoIP out there depending on your technical ability.
Bloodsong
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Postby TheHardy » 07/24/2012

Bloodsong wrote:When sending I find it is hard to get more than 2 pages to be reliable over VoIP unless end-to-end T.38 is correctly implemented. There are fax solutions for VoIP out there depending on your technical ability.

And the likelihood of finding E-2-E correct implementation is slim-to-none... although in hit and miss applications, it may work.

I do not have an ATA (or config file) and cannot find any software that I can force to work correctly with the FPL-supplied softphone, so I just usually manage to find an email address, convert to PDF and go that route. There are times when this is not an alternative tho ...
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Postby Bloodsong » 07/30/2012

TheHardy wrote:
Bloodsong wrote:When sending I find it is hard to get more than 2 pages to be reliable over VoIP unless end-to-end T.38 is correctly implemented. There are fax solutions for VoIP out there depending on your technical ability.

And the likelihood of finding E-2-E correct implementation is slim-to-none... although in hit and miss applications, it may work.

I do not have an ATA (or config file) and cannot find any software that I can force to work correctly with the FPL-supplied softphone, so I just usually manage to find an email address, convert to PDF and go that route. There are times when this is not an alternative tho ...

Usually with medical and/or legal documents. I have seen implementations on asterisk based solutions before relying on AIX Modem and HylaFax extensions that was rather robust. (Thus reference to level of ability)

Also I've used a few Fax-over-Sip providers before, they tend to rely on a pre-configured ATA either with a Fax HTTP gateway, or a T38 gateway, or both, you send the fax over to their gateway server (As they control the server, and your ATA this is essentially guaranteed to work.) Then their server uses various different fax modes to transmit your fax to the recipient. As a result your fax-receipt may take 4minutes to 40 minutes depending on the provider and their implementation, although I have not yet seen a fax out and out fail with these providers, if you're relying on a timely fax-receipt for proof of purchase in a commercial business/copy shop, these don't tend to be viable solutions.
Bloodsong
Tried and True

Postby TheHardy » 07/30/2012

Yeah, it sure does seem that in this day and age where almost everything else is possible, that FOIP would become a little more do-able. With error-correcting modem technology, that was a big step ahead in reducing garbled faxes... why the FOIP solution has not come up with something essentially in the form of sending the data like a TORRENT is absolutely beyond me ... but I am not a technical coder.

So the take-away from this is ...

Unless you are an advanced user, or plan to use a commercial provider for your faxing out needs, FOIP is hit-and-miss, not guaranteed to NOT-fail and should be used at the users own risk! :-)
TheHardy
***Übergod***

Postby Bloodsong » 08/03/2012

TheHardy wrote:Yeah, it sure does seem that in this day and age where almost everything else is possible, that FOIP would become a little more do-able. With error-correcting modem technology, that was a big step ahead in reducing garbled faxes... why the FOIP solution has not come up with something essentially in the form of sending the data like a TORRENT is absolutely beyond me ... but I am not a technical coder.

So the take-away from this is ...

Unless you are an advanced user, or plan to use a commercial provider for your faxing out needs, FOIP is hit-and-miss, not guaranteed to NOT-fail and should be used at the users own risk! :-)

+1 for succinctness
Bloodsong
Tried and True

Postby seagame2001 » 08/04/2012

I think FPL will have to work on this I know Rogers and Cogeco home phone you can sex and receive fax
seagame2001
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Postby Bloodsong » 08/06/2012

With the cable "home phone" services what you're actually subscribing to is a VoIP-like phone.
Quick overview of the 7 layer model from top to bottom of the list is the most software oriented to the most hardware oriented. All protocols are considered to exist in one of these layers (With most internet connectivity stuff ICMP/IGMP/TCP/UDP/IP all existing in layer three) Quality of Server (QOS) exists in layers 2 and 3 by necessity of controlling both the Internet portion, and the medium of transfer (in this case cable.)

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Datalink
Physical

While VoIP then is a layer three (Internet/Network layer) protocol, and subject to intererence from a myriad of equations affecting layer three. The cable based homephones are a layer two protocol essentially. (Where ethernet exists.) Consider your cable internet connection to be like a HUGE LAN (A MAN or Metropolitan Area Network is more correct.) Because the homephone protocol exists more closely to the bottom few things need to be considered to ensure safe arrival, and bandwidth is more easily and safely allocated to these phone systems for QOS purposes.

Ultimately this means a less complex set-up for cable home phone companies.
Where as it means a considerably more complex set-up for VoIP companies who want to offer a reliable fax solution, such as I alluded to above.
Bloodsong
Tried and True

Return to Tips & Tricks From Seasoned Users