freephonelinecanada questions

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!

freephonelinecanada questions

Postby terry75 » 08/18/2012

Hi,
I'm interested in getting this service but the website doesn't have much information (or I couldn't find them).
It suggested to ask specific questions here, so here I am.
Thank you in advance.
(The service is freephonelinecanada)

(1)keep your phone number-1
Does it apply anywhere in Canada?
I live in Toronto so should be no problem but my friend is also interested and she lives in a rural area in Newfoundland.

(2)Keep your phone number-2
I tried to get a phone service from my internet provider and somehow they said they couldn't for some reason.
(I don't remember why.). Is there any exceptions you can't carry the current number?

(3)getting a new number
If I want to get a new phone number, can I get a local number?

(4)Call forwarding
Does it come with call forwarding and is it free?
Is setting-up easy?

(5)How much to make calls to other than listed major cities?
It says free to make call to any major cities in Canada listed.
So how about calling to other cities in Canada which are not listed?
How about local calls if your home is not in the listed area?

(6)Cell phone app?
I heard I can use it on smartphones too...so does that mean if someone calls, then both homephone and your phone can ring at the same time?

(7)softphone
I have been using skype - is the voice quality somewhere similar to it?
Is "homephone" quality better than softphone because no other software is working background?

If anyone can answer any of those questions it would be appreciated.
Thank you!
terry75
Just Passing Thru

Re: freephonelinecanada questions

Postby dibsmft » 08/21/2012

Since you have had no reply, I will try to answer your questions...
1. No. In NL only parts of the St. John's are are covered for free calls and even there phone numbers are not available. I currently use a number from spockn.com for St. John's but I doubt if you can get number for other areas in NL. FPL to FPL number calling should be free.
Phone number are only available in major centres in Canada and not in the Atlantic Provinces.
2. Phone numbers are more widely available from some other providers but still mostly in the main centres.
3. If you live in majoe centres your can get a number either from FPL or other providers.
4. Call forwarding is free as long as the number you are sending to is free. Setting up is usually easy but not always and depends strongly on the router you are using and computer/ata.
6. No but if you have two accounts you may be able to use simultaneous ring of the different number. You can only have one log into an account at a time.
7. The voice quality I get from PC based FPL is as good or better than Skype. When SIP is working well the sound quality is as good or better than a regular PSTN phone line. If incorrectly configured or the internet connection is poor the the sound quality can be very bad.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*

SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Re: freephonelinecanada questions

Postby terry75 » 08/21/2012

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply/help. I much appreciate it. You answered all the questions I had!
terry75
Just Passing Thru

Return to Tips & Tricks From Seasoned Users