A good smartphone app for Android or BlackBerry

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!

A good smartphone app for Android or BlackBerry

Postby sncbhle18 » 11/15/2012

Hey folks,

I currently have the Freephoneline service and I only got the softphone variant of it. I'm planning to get a Smartphone in the next couple of months and I'm planning to use that smartphone configured with Freephoneline on it. I recently signed up with Dell Voice as well (albeit using a different e-mail address).

I wanted to know which particular smartphone app (for a BlackBerry or Android) would you people suggest? I understand that if I want to utilise a third-party VOIP app, then I have to get what's called a VOIP unlock key. I know Freephoneline does that, but I heard that Dell Voice is no longer doing that practice.

Any suggestions to my situation?

I also wanted to know this (this may be complicated to some, but only I can understand it):

1) Is it possible to have a single VOIP unlock key - and configure that VOIP unlock key on all third-party apps that I intend to use? (i.e. I want to use X-Lite or 3CX on one computer at one time, then I want to use a third-party app on a smartphone at another time, like when I'm not near my computer and such).

2) Can the situation listed on my 1st point co-exist simultaneously (at the same time)?
sncbhle18
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10

Re: A good smartphone app for Android or BlackBerry

Postby tbrummell » 11/16/2012

1. 3CX & Bria are both good choices for Android, as are CSipSimple and .... Using any 3rd party app will require you purchase the VoIP unlock key from FPL. I'm not a DV user, so I don't know if they still have the unlock key or not.

2. You can only register 1 device at a time to receive incoming calls. That being said, both apps could be used at sperate locations at 1 time, but you will never know which one may receive the incoming call. But if you only need to make a quick outbound call, this is at least possible. If you want to use 2 devices at the same time you'd need some type of PBX, such as RentPBX, or .....
tbrummell
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Re: A good smartphone app for Android or BlackBerry

Postby akram » 06/07/2013

Can you provide settings configuration for any one of the good third party mobile android app to use it with FPL unlock key?
akram
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: sp4220
ISP Name: dsl

Return to Tips & Tricks From Seasoned Users