calling Canada from USA

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!
Paul777
Just Passing Thru

calling Canada from USA

Post by Paul777 »

Question... if i bring my laptop with me on a trip to the USA, and I have your softphone loaded on it, can I make calls to friends or relatives back home in Toronto for free? Just wondering if I'm breaking any FPL rules or would I actually incur long distance charges ?
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Re: calling Canada from USA

Post by FONGO_kris »

Technically yes it could work but I will make no promises, however they can phone you for free.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
Krazie243
Active Poster

Re: calling Canada from USA

Post by Krazie243 »

The internet has no 'home' location in regards to phone calls. My brother is making calls home from China with his ATA (he is teaching English there) This will work in other countries. However, there are some countries that work better than others. China is fine, USA might be, I've received calls from people trying it out in Pakistan, some seemed to have issues, others I'm not sure.

Since we didn't build the system for that kind of use, we obviously aren't going to test that. But you are more than welcome to try it out. In theory, as long as you have a high speed internet connection (1Mbps+) then you should be able to have a good quality conversation with someone.
Curtis Smale
Student of Wilfrid Laurier University