Cisco-7940G Config with SIP 7.5

Here you can post your own working configurations of hardware or software to share with other users who may be using the same device!
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER
This forum is for those users who have already purchased a configuration file with the SIP settings needed to configure any SIP compatible device.

1. Please use this forum only as a means to share your configuration advice and guides for ATA devices and SIP clients that you are using with our service.
2. For any questions relating to device configuration, please use the other forum sections or post your question directly in the device topic that your question is meant for.
3. Please title your topics with only the name and model of your device so users can easily find the information they need.
4. Preferable format for posting here is compressing your screenshots of your successfully configured device into a .zip file, and post a brief description of the configuration.

Please stay on topic

Cisco-7940G Config with SIP 7.5

Postby SignalHillDude » 12/09/2018

This is an older 2 line Cisco desk set. I see lots of posting on the board for a variety of different configuration options. I am including files for recently updating the firmware on the phone to SIP 7.5 which may actually require one to update the SCCP firmware first. I have not included the Cisco firmware to do this but Cisco offers downloads and directions on updating the firmware using a local tftp server.

I have a simple home network, running Windows 10 and a standard home router that supports UPNP. I think this is a critical condition that is not utilized in many of the older hardware configuration postings. Further, from the older Sip version 2 to the more recent SIP 7.5, a lot of variables have changed. Cisco is up to SIP 8.x but they have not released a later version for the 7940G model that I have found.

I have included the files I needed to customize from the Cisco firmware update packages. As my phone came with SCCP ver 5, it had to be updated to 6.x to support the new SIP 7.5 load. This required both a SIP firmware download from Cisco as well as a SCCP download. The latest SCCP was also not installable under the ver 5.x firmware.

Annoyingly, under ver 5, the phone unlocks configuration on a line by line basis using **#. After the firmware updates, one unlocks all the configuration with a password, the default being "cisco" (without double quotes). To manually set the tftp server address, one need to change Network Configuration --> Alternate TFTP to Yes, then Network Configuration --> TFTP Server to your local TFTP server IP. These files anticipate being in the root directory of the TFTP server but this too can be configured. I have set the configuration files for both lines to be configured (2 line model) as well as including a Dial Template file.

The configuration is complete except for the individual phone file, SIPxxxxxxxxxxxx.cnf. Change the file name, replacing x with the MAC address (no separators) and add your own FPL key information.

Enjoy
Attachments
Generic Cisco CP7940 SIP 7.5 Config for FPL.zip
Configuration files for Cisco CP-7940G fur use with FPL
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 685 times
SignalHillDude
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Cisco CP-7940G
Firmware Version: SIP 7.5
ISP Name: LightSpeed Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10, 1803
Router: Netgear WNDR3700 home router