Can fongo app be installed on Windows 8 Phones?

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Can fongo app be installed on Windows 8 Phones?

Postby indijones » 02/27/2014

Is is possible? If not, do you have any future plans for that?
indijones
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA2102
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 16
Computer OS: Vista 64 bit
Router: 2Wire

Re: Can fongo app be installed on Windows 8 Phones?

Postby bridonca » 02/28/2014

There is no Fongo app, nor is it likely there will be a Fongo app for windows mobile phones. I believe it is because there is too much programming work required, and not enough Windows Mobile devices out there to justify the expense.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby indijones » 02/28/2014

Too bad :cry: :cry:
indijones
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: SPA2102
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 16
Computer OS: Vista 64 bit
Router: 2Wire

Postby mauriciovsky » 04/03/2014

bridonca wrote:There is no Fongo app, nor is it likely there will be a Fongo app for windows mobile phones. I believe it is because there is too much programming work required, and not enough Windows Mobile devices out there to justify the expense.

That doesn't make any sense, these guys wasted development resources making an app for a dead platform (blackberry)

Windows Phone has far more users than blackberry and newer devices coming out every month, I seriously don't understand why we can't have a WP app since there's a bb app

All over the world you can see the trend of bb going down while windows goes up

Now with the news that MS won't charge anymore license fees for WP manufacturers the transition will be much faster this year
mauriciovsky
One Hit Wonder

Postby bridonca » 04/04/2014

The blackberry app is more or less an android app port. It would not take much effort to port it over to BB10. You have to be a much more committed developer to the Windows mobile platform to program anything for it.

Keep in mind, this is my opinion, I have no inside track on what goes on at Fongo. I am only making logical conclusions, but I could easily be way off base. But I am probably not.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby ykhehra1 » 05/09/2014

I am also in for WP8 phones app. I tried linphone with unlock key settings. It worked only when app is open and not in background. After seeing so many other voip apps in WP app store, I don't think it should be much trouble for experts at Fongo.

----------
I found that it can work in background on linphone app if fongo use something called 'push notification system' on there end, but still sms won't work on any sip client.
So fongo own app is best way to go.
ykhehra1
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: dell voice app
Firmware Version: android 2.3
Computer OS: vista

Postby coolibop » 05/19/2014

I was disappointed to learn that Fongo is not supported for Windows phones after I'm about to switch away from my iPhone to get a better camera phone.

I've been using Fongo sparsely on/off over the last year or so, and was considering moving to a data-only plan on my phone that might save me some money. For others who use Windows phones in the community, what are the best alternatives? Are there any other free-to-Canada (Toronto in my case) apps in the Windows store?
coolibop
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: Nokia Lumia 1020
Computer OS: Windows 7/8.1

Postby Wang030 » 08/12/2014

I too am fairly disappointed in the lack of support for Windows 8 devices (both computers and phones) by Fongo. As an alternative, I have been using a data-only plan with a combination of Virtufon (cost 6$US per month), TextNow (for SMS) and Skype services.
Wang030
Just Passing Thru

ISP Name: Acanac DSL

Postby imnovayu » 09/12/2014

I believe that's partially because of the technical difficulties of implementing a voip app on windows phone 8. As far as I know, to support voip incoming call for windows phone 8, you need to have a dedicated server to send push messages which require much more efforts than other platform. That's also the reason you cannot find a lot of voip app on windows phone 8 platform. Linphone only support incoming calls for their own service, which I believe they maintained a push server for it.
imnovayu
Just Passing Thru

Postby cometstream » 11/04/2015

I think it is time to revisit the app idea for the windows phone with the release of windows 10 for the phone Microsoft has really done a great job.
cometstream
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Windows
Firmware Version: 8.1
Computer OS: Windows

Postby bridonca » 11/05/2015

The same problems remain though. You still would have to put in a lot of resources to make a compatible app, and Windows still has a poor showing when it comes to phones. That is why any VOIP application for Windows phone is few and far between.

Blackberry 10 apps in comparison are much more plentiful, even though they have a smaller market, and that is because it is easier to port native Android apps to it. Until Microsoft fixes that glaring problem, and miraculously gets a much higher market share, the apps are just not going to be there.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby cometstream » 11/05/2015

bridonca wrote:The same problems remain though. You still would have to put in a lot of resources to make a compatible app, and Windows still has a poor showing when it comes to phones. That is why any VOIP application for Windows phone is few and far between.

Blackberry 10 apps in comparison are much more plentiful, even though they have a smaller market, and that is because it is easier to port native Android apps to it. Until Microsoft fixes that glaring problem, and miraculously gets a much higher market share, the apps are just not going to be there.

Windows 10 is the answer you have been looking for. If you made an app for the Windows 10 desktop it will work with the Windows 10 Phone as well. As for making it compatible Microsoft has made that easy for you as well.

With over 110 million users on Windows 10 already I don't understand why you would not jump on the market first for Windows 10 Phone app. Just use the tools below and port the android code in to a Windows 10 app. If you are really worried about the cost give me the source code and I'll do it for you.

Bring your code to Windows
Wherever your code was born, you can bring it to Windows
https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges
cometstream
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 11/06/2015

cometstream wrote:
bridonca wrote:The same problems remain though. You still would have to put in a lot of resources to make a compatible app, and Windows still has a poor showing when it comes to phones. That is why any VOIP application for Windows phone is few and far between.

Windows 10 is the answer you have been looking for. If you made an app for the Windows 10 desktop it will work with the Windows 10 Phone as well. As for making it compatible Microsoft has made that easy for you as well.

With over 110 million users on Windows 10 already I don't understand why you would not jump on the market first for Windows 10 Phone app. Just use the tools below and port the android code in to a Windows 10 app. If you are really worried about the cost give me the source code and I'll do it for you.

The problem is that the Fongo desktop client is not a stand alone program, it requires JAVA, which is not small, and not really suitable for a mobile device. Actually, it is horrid, it still has poor native codec support. So you got to pack that pile of bloat onto the Windows 10 OS to get the Fongo Windows desktop client to work. Try not to forget JAVA is not even close to optimized low power devices like smart phones.

It is Microsoft that is going to have to make the tools to make it easy to port over Android apps to Windows. So far nothing even close to that is coming from Microsoft.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby cometstream » 11/19/2015

bridonca wrote:
cometstream wrote:

The problem is that the Fongo desktop client is not a stand alone program, it requires JAVA, which is not small, and not really suitable for a mobile device. Actually, it is horrid, it still has poor native codec support. So you got to pack that pile of bloat onto the Windows 10 OS to get the Fongo Windows desktop client to work. Try not to forget JAVA is not even close to optimized low power devices like smart phones.

It is Microsoft that is going to have to make the tools to make it easy to port over Android apps to Windows. So far nothing even close to that is coming from Microsoft.

Sorry for the late reply - I just got back from driving from Ontario to Disney and back. What a great vacation.

I don't think you understand the difference between Windows 10 App and Windows Application. There is no way I would ask you to create a JAVA program for a cell phone that is just insane.

Windows 10 App = Windows Store App on the METRO Start screen

If you would have clicked on the link in my other post you would have realized that the Microsoft did make the tools for you to port your code into a Windows 10 App. You are able to bridge the iOS and Android code into a Windows App.

If you build the app for Windows 10 it will be Universal Windows Platform (UWP) and will work on Windows PCs, tablets, phones, HoloLens, Raspberry Pi and Xbox.
cometstream
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 11/23/2015

I need to be clear that I have no inside info on the workings of Fongo, and what they have in the pipeline, I am just giving you my 2 cents.
That said, your point on the Microsoft ecosystem support does not hold water. Microsoft has an extremely fragmented OS ecosystem, and it is killing them! 10 percent of their machines still in service are not even supported by Microsoft, though curiously, Fongo does. The new stuff is a fragmented mess with poor market share. And Microsoft has an abysmal record when it comes to living up to their one app for all promise! Oh, and they recently cancelled their Android porting tool project. So if you are a coder trying to make a buck, and you already have decent IOS/Android sales, and it is still really hard to port over to Microsoft without major time and investment, with little to no payback, why would you make apps for vaporware? All you have to do is look at the low quality apps currently in the Microsoft store, just take a look at their VOIP offerings (Skype excluded of course) Pretty weak.
bridonca
Technical Support

Return to Suggestions & Feedback