Data Plans

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Re: Data Plans

Postby johne » 12/05/2012

jbr439 wrote:
Are those other VOIP apps using UDP or TCP? And are they SIP apps? I believe DV is using TCP, so it's *possible* (but unlikely IMO) that Bell is blocking SIP TCP, but not SIP UDP.

I am not sure what Skype uses but it works on Bell Mobility Prepaid. DV does not.
johne
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPhone 4
ISP Name: Bell Mobility Pay as you Go
Computer OS: IOS 6.0.1

Postby GTA1 » 12/05/2012

I have bell prepaid too but I haven't had any problems - I also just tried a few different bell apns and different devices as well without any issues - maybe you should try using the sim with a different phone to test it out. Or try doing a soft reset on your phone - you might need to close/exit and reopen the dv app a few times.
GTA1
Just Passing Thru

ISP Name: DSL

Postby murph » 12/06/2012

Hello

As this thread is 10 months old now, i was hoping those using Dell Voice, Skype, TextPlus, etc on data plans could chime in with what "carrier" (voip works and works well) and "plan" (cost + amount of data included) you are using.

I'm interested because i use "very little" talk minutes each month and instead communicate with text, email, messenger, skype, etc. which i now only do through wifi. My phone is prepaid monthly (talk only) and always have minutes left over.

So i am thinking of just using a "prepaid" "data" plan instead of voice minutes and using Dell Voice as my "main"number. My talk minutes are with Virgin but their data plans are way over-priced for the little data they give you.

Thank You!!!
murph
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: Samsung Media Player Android 2.3.5

Postby jbr439 » 12/06/2012

murph wrote:Hello
So i am thinking of just using a "prepaid" "data" plan instead of voice minutes and using Dell Voice as my "main"number. My talk minutes are with Virgin but their data plans are way over-priced for the little data they give you.

Thank You!!!

Out of curiosity, have you used DV for SMS? If so, how well does it work? I've seen a number of complaints of other free texting programs not being timely in delivering and receiving text message, so wondering how DV stacks up.
jbr439
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Nexus S
Firmware Version: Android 2.3.6
ISP Name: Koodo

Postby murph » 12/06/2012

jbr439 wrote:
murph wrote:Hello

Thank You!!!

Out of curiosity, have you used DV for SMS? If so, how well does it work? I've seen a number of complaints of other free texting programs not being timely in delivering and receiving text message, so wondering how DV stacks up.

Sorry - can't help you there as i use textplus and am mostly satisfied with it. However, like you, may switch to DV texting in the near future.
murph
Just Passing Thru

Postby johne » 12/06/2012

DV now works on my wife's Bell Prepaid. I am not sure why and do not care. (Coincidentally, her ported number also went live today.) She now has DV on a Bell Prepaid with a $10/month 100MB data plan, which is sufficient for her DV, email, messaging, etc. As the minimum monthly top up amount on Bell Prepaid seems to be $15, she also has 16 2/3 minutes per month of Bell talk time at $.30 per minute.
johne
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPhone 4
ISP Name: Bell Mobility Pay as you Go
Computer OS: IOS 6.0.1

Postby seagame2001 » 12/06/2012

that's good to hear that Bell prepaid works on DV
seagame2001
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Postby aesop1 » 12/08/2012

I have Koodo post-paid and data works with Fongo. Now Koodo pre-paid has a base unlimited text only plan for $15 per month and you can add a data and/or voice plan that does not expire until the data or minutes are used up as long as you keep the base plan current. So theoretically you could subscribe to the base plan, purchase a booster data plan for $35 which gives you 1G of data, if you use the data only for Fongo, you would have 2000 minutes which will not expire until you have used up all of your data. (1g/.5mb per minute=2000 minutes) Please correct me if my math is off base. I am not a techy and not guaranteeing anything, but I do not see how Fongo can work on the post-paid and not pre-paid.
aesop1
Just Passing Thru

Computer OS: Windows 7

Postby murph » 12/08/2012

aesop1 wrote:I have Koodo post-paid and data works with Fongo. Now Koodo pre-paid has a base unlimited text only plan for $15 per month and you can add a data and/or voice plan that does not expire until the data or minutes are used up as long as you keep the base plan current. So theoretically you could subscribe to the base plan, purchase a booster data plan for $35 which gives you 1G of data, if you use the data only for Fongo, you would have 2000 minutes which will not expire until you have used up all of your data. (1g/.5mb per minute=2000 minutes) Please correct me if my math is off base. I am not a techy and not guaranteeing anything, but I do not see how Fongo can work on the post-paid and not pre-paid.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

I should correct my earlier post as i forgot i recently switched from prepaid monthly to 35 cents/minute pay as you go. I use very little talk minutes/text each month from this account as i only use if needed when away from wifi. Each month there is about $10.00 of the minimum $15.00 i must top up with "left over" which "expires" meaning, Virgin is getting "$120/year" "free" from me :( I could top up with $100 (good for 365 days) but they still get $40 free. If everything works over data, then i should just get a data plan to give myself more value for my money as long as that data plan isn't too expensive. Prepaid data on Virgin is $35.00/month for just 500MBs :shock:

Even though i don't need Wind's $40/month plan which gives you pretty much everything including "unlimited data" (throttling after 5 GB but no extra charges), i see more "value" here than what i have now.

Only thing i've found so far in my current "spending" price for data is the 7-11/Petro Canada data plan and only browsing works on it. Dell Voice, Skype, etc don't.
murph
Just Passing Thru

Postby ayoshidage » 12/12/2012

Bloodsong wrote:
jbr439 wrote:I believe Rogers does IMEI filtering, which means your plan likely won't work.
FWIW, I had used a Telus iPad SIM in a HTC Hero (using a micro-SIM adapter) for almost a year at one point.

This is correct, my g/f works for third-party Rogers tech support and had to deal with someone who set themselves up this way today. A tablet is not a phone, and their system will recognize this, and your data-only plan won't work.

This is not true, a tablet with 4g sim car is still considered a phone. I have one that has a 4g and tablet. I can make calls. Just tell them you have a tablet with a sim 4g and give them a random IEMI code, tell them 000000000000000 and then tell them to put data on it. I have done this with my tablet and works flawlessly, you dont need to give them your IEMI number.

A guy at koodo, did this for one of my sim cards he put in all those 0s , and it works on my tablet with the sim inside.
ayoshidage
Just Passing Thru

Postby jbr439 » 12/12/2012

ayoshidage wrote:
Bloodsong wrote:
jbr439 wrote:I believe Rogers does IMEI filtering, which means your plan likely won't work.
FWIW, I had used a Telus iPad SIM in a HTC Hero (using a micro-SIM adapter) for almost a year at one point.

This is correct, my g/f works for third-party Rogers tech support and had to deal with someone who set themselves up this way today. A tablet is not a phone, and their system will recognize this, and your data-only plan won't work.

This is not true, a tablet with 4g sim car is still considered a phone. I have one that has a 4g and tablet. I can make calls. Just tell them you have a tablet with a sim 4g and give them a random IEMI code, tell them 000000000000000 and then tell them to put data on it. I have done this with my tablet and works flawlessly, you dont need to give them your IEMI number.

A guy at koodo, did this for one of my sim cards he put in all those 0s , and it works on my tablet with the sim inside.

Can you confirm that you did this with Rogers? AFAIK only Rogers does IMEI filtering - by that I mean when the device registers for service on startup, their system gets the device's actual IMEI (not whatever was manually entered in) and uses that to determine whether to grant service or not.
jbr439
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Nexus S
Firmware Version: Android 2.3.6
ISP Name: Koodo

Postby fbedros » 12/13/2012

I use a smartphone with a tablet data plan only (Bell). Incoming calls and sms always worked with DV, but since the last version, outgoing calls seem to work as well. Keeping my fingers crossed!
fbedros
Just Passing Thru

Smartphone Model: Motorola Atrix HD
Android Version: 4.0.4

Postby christf1982 » 12/18/2012

The best data plan would be from Videotron because you can have Internet mobile for 10$/month for 500mb and 15$/month for 1GB, this is a special if you already have internet with them. What's great is you can have the wifi internet everywhere with you since its a wifi mobile device you carry with you and it can share wifi with up to 5 devices. You can also put a memory card inside so you get more storage that is specialy good for iphones devices. The 6 gb data is 30$ too. They currently offer a giveaway of 3 devices and 12 months subcriptions for a 3GB mobile wifi plan. If you want the wifi device free then you must sign up with them for the internet mobile service for 2 years but that is not too bad either.
christf1982
Just Passing Thru

ISP Name: TekSavvy Solutions Inc. DSL
Computer OS: Windows XP Pro
Router: Thomson TG585 v7

Postby Scoponox » 05/28/2013

wisobe wrote:
adminsly wrote:telus have the flex plan for tablet and it work on phone you just need to change ip.telus.com to isp.telus.com in the setting to be bill properly.

sly

Hi,

Are you personally using this solution? Do you use a Micro sim card or a normal sim card?

I am trying this solution but I am being billed high rates with apn isp.telus.com and also sp.telus.com.

Thanks upfront for your help.

I'm having the exact same issue with Telus currently....I am getting high billing rates ...i Just changed APN to isp.telus.com ... I think its working. Did this eventually work for you?
Scoponox
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)
ISP Name: Acanac DSL
Computer OS: Win XP

Postby Snowboardphil1 » 06/22/2013

Like stated elswhere on this forum, President's choice mobile has 100mb/month for 5$ or 500mb/month for 20$. You can't really just pay 5$ per month, you'll have to refill yourprepaid account.

The cheapest solution with PC mobile is therefore to fill it up with 100$/365days, this will amount to 8,33$/month and will pay for the 100mb/month and give you the possibility to use another 24mb/month (@ 0,15$/MB). I've joined PC mobile in March and have not gone over 100mb per month since. I can therefore use 172 mb for this month and more in the upcomming months if I don't use more than 100mb.

PC mobile uses Bell's network, you might NOT have to unlock a Bell's phone on their network. Just try and insert the ACTIVATED PC's sim card in your Bell phone to see if it logs on the PC's network unlocked.

Good luck
Philippe Goulet
Snowboardphil1
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Samsung galaxy W 4G
Firmware Version: 2.1
ISP Name: Cable
Computer OS: Windows Trust 4.5
Router: Linksys WRT-54G dd-wrt

Previous

Return to Suggestions & Feedback