Follow-Me Improvements

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Follow-Me Improvements

Postby juser » 02/22/2012

People have already mentioned adding the support for simultaneous ring which would be great, but another improvement would be to configure time of day settings for follow me numbers.

For example, configure a follow me number to be "valid" from say 9am to 5pm, that would connect to your "work" phone, while a second follow-me number could be configured from 5pm to 9am which might be your "home" phone.
juser
Quiet One

Smartphone Model: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 5.0.1

Re: Follow-Me Improvements

Postby djc » 02/23/2012

If they get simultaneous ringing working, in addition to the ability to have 3 numbers, it doesn't matter about the time. If you add both your work number/home number on the follow me settings, and a call comes in, both will ring. You can then answer the call either at your work or home, which ever you happen to be at the time. Once answered, the other number will stop ringing.

This I think would be better than the time.
djc
Active Poster

Postby juser » 02/27/2012

Having time is also important. I might not want the phone to ring at home if it is for me, because my wife would answer it instead, thinking it is a call for her. So in that case would rather have it simultaneously ring at work and cell but not home during the day, then at home in the evenings.
juser
Quiet One

Smartphone Model: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 5.0.1

Postby sukasem » 04/03/2012

They are now have simultaneous ring working but the problem is if cell phone is off or unavailable, the call will be picked up right away with voicemail or unavailable message.

Here is how Asterisk/FreePBX solve this problem. They use option "confirm call". What it does is receiver has to press 1 before the call is connected.

I'm wondering if FPL can add this option to each follow me number. So, we can check this box if the follow me number is cell phone.

Cheers,
Sukasem
sukasem
Active Poster

Postby wisobe » 04/22/2012

Would love to see the timing feature implemented. The reason is that at work, my phone goes to voicemail after the third ringtone. This is OK if I am next to the phone, but not if I am at home. If there is a timing, then my work phone will only work during business hours which would be great.

Maybe another small sugestion, however I don't know if this is possible, technically. At work there is a general phone number, but people calling me need to enter a second 4 digit number in order to reach my desk. Is it possible to contact these kind of numbers with the follow-me option?
wisobe
Quiet One

Postby TheHardy » 04/22/2012

wisobe wrote:Maybe another small sugestion, however I don't know if this is possible, technically. At work there is a general phone number, but people calling me need to enter a second 4 digit number in order to reach my desk. Is it possible to contact these kind of numbers with the follow-me option?

Unless you have an externally accessible DID number (ask your techies at work if your 4-digit extension has a real DID number or if it is just a virtual extension).

The FM module should work to forward to the main "switchboard" number, and that part would complete as usual --they would still need to enter the 4digit extension to reach you, however.

The caveat to this of course would be the exclusivity of FM numbers, so if anyone else Fongo-wide is trying to forward to your office switchboard number, you will be unable to do so... :(
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Postby Bloodsong » 04/23/2012

Hmm, an excellent point.
It isn't exactly fair for you to start forwarding Fongo calls to your company's main switchboard, but in cases such as my company, we own a 10,000 block of DIDs and nearly every extension is set-up to one.

This I believe to be more a relic of the ancient PBX systems the company began with, as any kind of administrative decision. I'm just waiting for the company to realize the money they'll save by switching to Virtual Extensions. Approximately what, $3 per DID, let's say they have a bulk-rate for half of that... still $15,000/mo Aiee caramaba!
Bloodsong
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Postby TheHardy » 04/24/2012

Bloodsong wrote:but in cases such as my company, we own a 10,000 block of DIDs and nearly every extension is set-up to one.

This I believe to be more a relic of the ancient PBX systems the company began with, as any kind of administrative decision. I'm just waiting for the company to realize the money they'll save by switching to Virtual Extensions. Approximately what, $3 per DID, let's say they have a bulk-rate for half of that... still $15,000/mo Aiee caramaba!

There are lots of reasons why having DID's over virtual extensions is preferable. However, 10K of them may be slightly overkill. Likely, depending on the size of the company, they could make do with 1K or less and the rest as virtuals. Some departments and "ranks" within the company are obviously best served by their OWN DID number ...
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Return to Suggestions & Feedback