MMS and SMS short code?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.
d4m1r
Quiet One
ISP Name: Start
Computer OS: Linux
Router: DIR-655
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

MMS and SMS short code?

Post by d4m1r »

Guys, using Fongo on my iPhone and while I can make/receive calls and text messages perfectly fine, it appears Fongo does NOT support receiving/sending MMS (picture texts) nor short code SMS?

I don't have the option within the app to attach an image to my SMS nor do I receive anything at all when other people send me MMS' to my Fongo number. Likewise, I am unable to receive shortcode SMS' (from numbers like 1444) which is very annoying because online services like Paypal often send text messages from their shortcode numbers but I am not able to receive those messages at all....To verify my phone number with them for example.

Can somebody from Fongo confirm that these 2 features are not enabled within the Fongo iOS application at least, and possibly explain why that is the case??
FONGO_jeff
Site Moderator

Re: MMS and SMS short code?

Post by FONGO_jeff »

MMS and short codes are not supported at this time, please refer to the following FAQs:

http://support.fongo.com/entries/249783 ... imitations
http://support.fongo.com/entries/237551 ... MS-package
d4m1r
Quiet One

Post by d4m1r »

Thanks for the reply Jeff, but there are still 2 outstanding questions;

1) Are these features actively being worked on, development wise? Do you expect that FULL functionality of both MMS and SMS short codes will be released on Fongo some time in the future?

2) The FAQ page about receiving short code SMS'....Only sending them. Am I supposed to be able to recieve them or I inherently can't because of some Fongo issue? I think that page has to be updated to reflect receiving text messages from short code numbers.
FONGO_jeff
Site Moderator

Post by FONGO_jeff »

1) Probably not in the near future. MMS is quite complicated in that you must establish agreements with every single carrier to be able to send back and forth. We are a small fish in a big pond.

2) The FAQ could be worded better but it states short codes and 2 factor authentication are not supported, 'texting' meaning all texting, either way. It comes down to our SMS provider and who they have agreements with, I believe actually that Twitter 2 factor auth with SMS does work with Fongo as they have told us it should, but I haven't personally tried it.
d4m1r
Quiet One

Post by d4m1r »

Thanks for the detailed responses Jeff.

Is it possible to pass around an internal email, or maybe to your "SMS provider" directly to see the status on SMS short codes? All it takes is an agreement so I hope your "SMS provider" is at least looking into making it possible in the future :)