Confused Fongo vs. Freephoneline

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.
NepeanFisher
One Hit Wonder
Computer OS: IOS

Confused Fongo vs. Freephoneline

Post by NepeanFisher »

Hi, I wanted an iPhone app as well as a desktop app, that I could port my existing Landline phone number to,

I installed Fongo on my iphone and got a new phone number. Now I learned that to port my existing number, I have to send a special form because Apple only allows in app purchases, and to get a desktop app, I need Freephoneline.

I am not sure what the difference is between Fongo and Freephoneline, but basically I don't care as long as I can get a softphone working on my iphone and desktop with the same number (obviously using only one at a time). Do Ihave to get both products, or can I just use one on both devices.

Thanks
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Confused Fongo vs. Freephoneline

Post by bridonca »

Not an iphone person, so not 100% on this, but with Android, the same login details work with both Android and the desktop client.

Since this is all free, do this, Get the iphone app, get it working, copy the login details, install the desktop client on the computer, and use the iphone login details on the desktop client.

Just a reminder, only one Fongo client can be running at a time, There is a hack to that though. Get 2 separate Fongo accounts, and forward one of the numbers to the other. That way, when someone calls a number, the call gets through to the iphone and desktop client.

The difference between Fongo and Freephoneline is that Fongo has more services, but the premium features come with a small monthly charge. Freephoneline allows you to buy SIP settings, which also you to use any SIP telephone device out there, for $50, which is a one time charge. After that, you have phone service with no monthly charge.
HBA
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: do not know
Firmware Version: do not know
ISP Name: Shaw cable
Computer OS: w8.1
Router: N/A

Post by HBA »

Hello,
It is good to hear that you are an Android person.
I tried to have my FPL number use through the android Fongo app, Did not work, Not existing account message, and I had to open a new account with Fongo, using the same email address as FPL account on desktop, which resulted in a new number for Fongo, So: 2 different numbers for FPL and Fongo, using the same email address.
Am I wrong?
Thanks
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

There is no Freephoneline client for Android, and the Fongo client does not accept Freephoneline login credentials. If you wan to use Freephoneline on Android, you would have to pay $50 for SIP settings. You can then use any SIP client Android provider, or use any SIP device also. You can only have one active account at time though.

Unless something has changed, you can use the same email address for Fongo and Freephoneline. I think it would be better to use separate email addresses though.
mithanbaba
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: mithanbaba
Firmware Version: XP
ISP Name: DSL
Router: aaaaaaa

Post by mithanbaba »

I have been a Fongo user for sometime now. However I had some problems today that needed to be addressed immediately. As I am currently travelling in Hong Kong I was extremely pleasantly surprised at the speed with which customer support resolved my issue. I mean in less than 20 mins I was up and running. I am so happy to know that we have real live support when we need it and it is not like the major ISP's where we go through endless support tickets.

As a Fongo user from day one.......this was the first time I needed help in a crunch as I use my fongo on my android all the time. Not only did the support guys resolve my issues, they also followed up with several emails to ensure I was okay.

This is what I call customer service !!! Often we complain when we are not happy.......however I believe it is just as IMPORTANT that when we get good service from an employee who goes out of his way to serve you, we must take a moment to acknowledge and THANK the employee.

So THANK YOU to the customer support team and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Post by mh1983 »

bridonca wrote:There is no Freephoneline client for Android, and the Fongo client does not accept Freephoneline login credentials. If you wan to use Freephoneline on Android, you would have to pay $50 for SIP settings. You can then use any SIP client Android provider, or use any SIP device also. You can only have one active account at time though.

Unless something has changed, you can use the same email address for Fongo and Freephoneline. I think it would be better to use separate email addresses though.
You mentioned having only one active account above. Just to clarify: Could I use a SIP client as well as a SIP device like an ATA simultaneously with the FPL SIP credentials? Or do you mean that only one of these at a time could register and be active? TIA.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

mh1983 wrote:
bridonca wrote:There is no Freephoneline client for Android, and the Fongo client does not accept Freephoneline login credentials. If you wan to use Freephoneline on Android, you would have to pay $50 for SIP settings. You can then use any SIP client Android provider, or use any SIP device also. You can only have one active account at time though.

You mentioned having only one active account above. Just to clarify: Could I use a SIP client as well as a SIP device like an ATA simultaneously with the FPL SIP credentials? Or do you mean that only one of these at a time could register and be active? TIA.
The quick answer is that you can register only one device at a time. In reality, with your Freephonline SIP settings, you are given one incoming channel, and 2 outgoing channels. You are given 2 outgoing channels because you need them for call waiting. However, if you do have 2 SIP devices registered to the same account, both SIP devices can each make outgoing calls at the same time, but only one of the SIP devices can take incoming calls, and it is not always certain which device will be able to take the incoming call. This is one of these things that are fun to play with, but if you value reliability or call waiting, you should only have one sip device registered at a time. I do not think the Fongo people really care, just make sure it is NOT made into a technical support issue.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Post by mh1983 »

Great explanation; thank you for the reply, Bridonca!