contact list

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.
trees
Just Passing Thru

contact list

Post by trees »

1. If I don’t have a person on my contact list can I still call them using fongo. And may not want to add this to the fongo contact list as it might be a one time call.
2 Does the fongo contact list pick up numbers from only our contact list? As I would like to put some other numbers on my note pad just in case I may need them
3. Also I would like to use fongo as a local access number to call overseas. Generally I use a local access number of the long distance provider and then dial the long distance number – This way am charged only thru my long distance provider rather than the regular cell phone provider for the local minutes + long distance provider.
bartekd
Active Poster

Re: contact list

Post by bartekd »

1 -- You don't need to have someone in your contact list to call them. Just dial the number through the number pad
2 -- Either add them to your contacts, or in your notes app, save the phone numbers
3 -- Do you want to call From fongo to another number (LD Provider)
-- If its in the list of free area codes, it will be free, otherwise you will pay long distance
Or call from your real cell phone number to fongo?
-- fongo doesn't offer this as far as I know, but why don't you just use the app to call from?
trees
Just Passing Thru

Post by trees »

Thank you Bartekd for your reply and suggestions

I am hoping to download fongo on my mobile phone so am a bit lost here.

1.--Like many apps i understand, we provide all the contacts on our list which in turn helps us to connect with other fongo users - Am i right?
So if i have a number on my phone note pad, do i need to provide those nos. to fongo as well.?

2.-- Yes i would like to call from fongo to a local number in the same city i live for eg: if i live in calgary the (LD provider) gives me a local access no. for calgary. So it is like calling a local number. So I call the local access no. for calgary and after a few prompts and entering my long distance number - the LD provider connects me overseas. Is this possible? CAlgary is in the Free area code.
It is very inexpensive with this LD provider.
I only have unlocked cell phones - no land lines.

3. -- also Voice mail retrieval, texting and calling there is no fee?
4. -- How does one go about getting a new number from Fongo. As i would first like to try it out before i port my number over to Fongo.

5. -- Also, as i am away for a number of months overseas, there may not be any activity on my number - anything i should do to keep my number active? Is there a cost to keep my number active.
6. -- Do many fongo users also have another real cell phone number apart from fongo.?
7. -- Fongo uses Data or Wifi - i just have wifi so if i am in a range where there is no wifi - does that mean that i wont be able to answer the call or get disconnected when i am in that range?

8. -- How does one change the password on the forum. I got one from fongo but would like to change it to something i can remember

Thank you very much for your help. Appreciate your help
bartekd
Active Poster

Post by bartekd »

1 - Yes you can have a number in your contacts then it will show up in fongo. Or you can copy and paste from a notepad into fongo if you want to dial a different number.
2 - Yes, you can use the fongo app to call the calgary number (LD Provider) and call longdistance through them
3 - If you have the fongo app, calling and voicemail is free. For texting, incoming is free, outgoing requires a monthly subscription (2.29 a month, 9.99 for 6 months)
4 - Download the fongo app, and try it
5 - No, fongo only provides numbers from select cities in canada
6 - Some people have both. I only have a data plan for my cell phone, and use fongo as my phone
7 - It can use either data or wifi. If you only have wifi, then you can use it when you are connected to wifi, otherwise people will get your voicemail when they call you.
8 - not too sure, maybe someone else knows?

Download the fongo app, its free, and works great, that way you can see how it works for you.
trees
Just Passing Thru

Post by trees »

Thank you very much bartekd for all your detailed explanation appreciate it.

Hopefully i may not ask you so many questions but if you can please let me know these....

1. So it is advisable to have 2 phone numbers i guess - one for data and the other for making calls?
2. The texting subscription can be got from their website?
3. in reply to question 5 above whether in use or not my number will still be active when i return after being away for a no. of months. and No fee?
4. If i have some nos. in my note pad on my phone using like a diary - so that when i need to call them i have the no. - but they are not on my contact list. Do these note pad nos. automatically go under my contact list.
I DO NOT want to put them on my contact list.

Some apps like whatsapp once they have you on their contact list your friends will know when you are on the phone and then due to the time difference from different cities / countries they will call you at odd times.
And the no. gets passed on and it becomes an endless chain. I do not want that to happen.

Please let me know if this is the same process for fongo.

Thank you again for all your timely help
bartekd
Active Poster

Post by bartekd »

Yes, when you have a data plan, they give you a phone number. I don't use that phone number, and only use fongo
The texting service you can get it through the app
If you don't use the service, it will expire, so you need to use your phone number every month I believe
They won't be added to your contact list unless you add them there

Download the app, and use it, and you will see how it works. Did you not download it yet?
trees
Just Passing Thru

Post by trees »

Thank you very much bartekd for all your kind help and suggestions - yes i will download it and try it out.
Just wondering how i can use it while am away overseas. - But for now i will use it here.
Again thank you for answering all my querries.
bartekd
Active Poster

Post by bartekd »

No problem, glad I could help.

Overseas, if you have the app on your phone, you can call from it if you are overseas. As long as you have wifi
trees
Just Passing Thru

Post by trees »

bartekd, thank you for all your help yes there is wifi all over, I was concerned about my no. not being there when i get back and having to start all over again.
Appreciate all your help thank you again
bartekd
Active Poster

Post by bartekd »

It only expires after 90 days I believe, and they send you an email before deleting your fongo account.
trees
Just Passing Thru

Post by trees »

Appreciate all your help bartekd and answering all my querries - yes the 90 expiry helps.
Thank you again.
trees
Just Passing Thru

Post by trees »

Hi bartekd

I wanted write to thank you very much for all the information you gave me regarding Fongo.
I just got a samsung core Lte phone and the fongo was downloaded onto my phone and i registered and now can use fongo
Thank you ever sooooo much for all your patience. and thank you to all the fongo members