Using Fongo FREE APP abroad - Is service working for you?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.
Gotcha
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
ISP Name: Cable Videotron
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Dlink 655

Using Fongo FREE APP abroad - Is service working for you?

Post by Gotcha »

Hi,

I registered a local DELLVOICE number and installed the android APP on an old Samsung Galaxy S and used it abroad when I travel. It was working fine up until about August of this year 2014.
I left it with my relative abroad so that I can test it out when Im back in Canada. The app is definitely loaded and working and this phone hasnt had any updates either.

I can access the account in Fongo.com.
I can even test the same account in another mobile phone back in Canada .
Logged on the account ( here in Canada) and called out to another dellvoice phone ( or landline) and receive call normally but when the same account is logged on my android phone abroad, it is not receiving calls, nor can make any calls. The weird thing is that it (the phone abroad) receives missing called notifications !

I did a search online to see if there has been any changes with regards to the free calls and i found that Fongo came up with a PAID WORLD EDITION PHONE APP and was recently released in Google Play. Could this be the reason why the FREE APP does not work anymore abroad?

Anyone experienced the same problem with the FREE APP ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ium%3Dlink

I even tried to see if this APP is available but it seems It is not available for my phone even if I wanted to buy it...
I need to travel back again and Im hoping I can resolve this before i go back so that I can use the DV phone...let me know if I need to buy the app or not ...and how!

Thanks
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Using Fongo FREE APP abroad - Is service working for you

Post by Jake »

What version is the phone abroad using? The current version is 3.5.0.1 according to play store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oice&hl=en

From what I know, the free 'Canadian' version is not available in the stores outside of Canada, so if there has been an update it might not pick it up.

The 'World' edition seems to be on 3.5.0.2, but I have not tested that version out.

If the other phone is not using the latest version there are a few things you can try.
1. Buy the World Edition and try that.
(These last 2 are not supported or endorsed by Fongo)
2. Connect the other phone to the internet using a Canadian Proxy and see if it will update.
3. Use a backup/restore app on an Android phone here with the updated version and backup the fongo app, email that to whoever has the phone over there and get them to install it from the APK you send them.

The world edition is probably the easier route :)
d4m1r
Quiet One
ISP Name: Start
Computer OS: Linux
Router: DIR-655
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Post by d4m1r »

I have used the free Fongo app (iOS) from several countries around the world and as long as my wifi connection was good, it worked perfectly fine regardless of where I was.
mohnashaat
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Linksys spa-3102
ISP Name: ADSL Acanac
Router: D-Link DIR-615
Smartphone Model: HTC Wildfire S

Post by mohnashaat »

I can cofirm what Gotcha is saying before aug. 2014 Fongo was working fine abrod (installed here or extracted and sent then installed) but now it do ot connect to the server. I just saw the world edition here, maybe that why ? but in google play they still say that we can use Fongo while travelling abroad
Gotcha
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
ISP Name: Cable Videotron
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Dlink 655

Post by Gotcha »

I found out that I need to install the HOTSPOTSHIELD VPN for Android for it to work properly .
It wasnt working for either the wifi or the mobile data... however both were provided by the same Telecom Company... using the VPN, all of a sudden, Fongo was working again.
Previously, the calls were not getting through BOTH ways... however the weird thing is that the Phones will get notifications as the calls goes straight to voicemail after 5 rings.

So if you are having problems in some countries, make sure you have the HOTSPOTSHIELD by AnchorFREE or any other VPN for it to work... the international ISP may be blocking VOIP packets - because they want you to pay long distance calls ....yeah i smell conspiracy :P

but im glad I didnt have to buy the WORLD EDITION... althogh not sure if there is any difference because I cannot buy it from Canada... so Im guessing the WORLD EDITION was meant for people abroad to pay and get a Canadian Number abroad but why would a Canadian ExPAT bother to pay when they can download the FREE edition from Google Play?!