Questions regarding Fongo Mobile services

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.
DarkThugJack
One Hit Wonder
Computer OS: Windows
Router: Rogers ac 2.4GHz

Questions regarding Fongo Mobile services

Post by DarkThugJack »

I have used the search function, but it was hard to really pinpoint what I could search due to the question:

I have recently learned about Fongo Mobile and want to port my number out to them from Koodo. I know of the fees included, such as the 25$ port fee and 20$ per year unlimited texting charges.

1. The main question I have is if the amount of usage I put on my regular plan will be worth it to switch.

Current plan is Koodo 2 GB, unlimited calling and texting for 84$

Fido data plan is 3 GB for 15$

My average calling goes from 1800 - 2300 mins and average texting is 1000 text messages.

I have access to WiFi at home, work is a bit spotty, and I usually visit Starbucks and Tim Hortons with my SO to do work so the WiFi at those locations are pretty good. The only time I would worry about using data would be when I was driving.

I've tested Fongo mobile on my home WiFi is solid, and on Koodo data is great, no dropped calls or the sort.

I can get another sim card identical to the Fido data plan, which to my understanding I can use if my data were to run out, basically pop the sim out and switch it. However I am trying to keep my expenses to a minimum so if I can have almost the same usage with just the 3 GB that would be great. I do not consider myself a power user, or know what defines a power user, but I will leave that up to the community.

2. For porting out, I have heard that it can take quite some time, is there a verified amount of time that it takes to port a number out, and is it possible to take calls up to the point it gets ported?

3. This is more related to iPhone, and possibly a little dumb, but for texting purposes, if I were to pay the texting fees, would I be able to text as how I usually do, or is it more through the fongo app I would have to text, apart from iMessage?

Thank you all in advance.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Questions regarding Fongo Mobile services

Post by bridonca »

Best answer I can tell you is just get and install the Fongo app. You will get a new number. I think it cost $10 for 6 months of texting, don not quote me on that, but that is the ball park. Incoming texts are free if you want to test out the waters. Fongo texting just works. You got to find out if it is good enough for you. You cannot do MMS messaging very well with Fongo, though if you chat with another Fongo user, you can.

When you are happy with Fongo, then you can work on porting over your old number to Fongo. There is no rush to do this.

I have Fido's $15 tablet 3 GB plan, actually 2 of them. They seem to handle my VOIP stuff fine. If my voice cell was not so cheap, I would consider just going only with Fido data.

I am expoloring Virgin's 3 GB tablet paln for $15, but I hear they lock their sim to your tablet, which I do not desire.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Just to answer your 2 and 3 points.

Porting is a bit of an unknown as it is down to the companies when they get round to it. From what I understand they have to do it within 14 days. I believe a couple of days is normal. When a call comes in, it depends at what stage of the port you are at as to which phone will ring. From Fongo's point of view you will still be able to call out as you should always have a live account. See here for more FAQs about porting http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

Everything is done though the app, so when you want to make a call or send/read a text, you have to do it though the app.
myoranges
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: Iphone 6
Firmware Version: iOS 10.2
Computer OS: Windows 10

Post by myoranges »

1. You can expect 1MB of data to equal thousands of sent or received messages for both Fongo messaging or text messaging (SMS) and with a consumption rate of 0.5MB per minute of Fongo calling. I would suggest the Fido 3gb/$15 plan. it gives you the flexibility of moving the sim card from 1 device to another (Tablet or Phone).

2. I ported my number from Rogers to Fongo 4 years ago and it took 4 days. It might be faster today.

3. With regards to your iPhone, I suggest that you do texting thru your fongo message app (this is to avoid charges from Fido).

If you are using Fido, make sure to call customer service and asked them to block call and text.
LG gpad 3 8.0 on Fido 3GB-$15/month Data plan
Iphone 6 on Fido 3GB-$15/month Data plan