Unique phone porting question

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.
_Tom
Just Passing Thru
ISP Name: Telus

Unique phone porting question

Post by _Tom »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new, but have used the search to no avail.
I'll summarize as simply as I can.

I have a (416)(ON) mobile phone number with a pay as you go mobile service that does NOT offer call forwarding (7-11/Speakout Wireless). I had no clue they didn't offer call forwarding, and now that I'm on temporary project in a different province, I'm stuck. I do NOT want to lose my 416 number.

I have already set up my new local mobile phone plan in (639) (SK)

Now, my question is this:

I would like nothing more than to have a call forwarding service that is absolutely reliable, and preferably "behind the scenes"- that is, I don't need my current in use mobile phone to run it, or a constantly running application on my phone to make it work.

Is this possible? Would Fongo fit the bill?
If I had Fongo app running on a spare phone (a- with, or b- without a mobile connection) would that still work?

Any help is appreciated.

All the phones I have (current and spares) are blackberry 10 phones... I might have an old android in a drawer somewhere if it matters, but my daily driver is a bb10 device and will remain that way for a while.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what options could work.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Re: Unique phone porting question

Post by mh1983 »

Yes, you should be able to port the 416 number into Fongo. The app runs just fine on BB10 devices (am a fellow BB10 user and have used Fongo on a Q5, Q10, and Passport). Call forwarding works perfectly fine on Fongo (and "behind the scenes" as you said), so it should fit the bill for your scenario.

I suggest you download the app, sign up for free/get the temporary number (you'll have to do so any ways). That way, you can test out the call forwarding and make sure you're happy before you port in.

HTH. Good luck!
_Tom
Just Passing Thru

Post by _Tom »

thank you for the help!

Is it at all possible to have this app on another phone, that's not connected to the internet? or does this only work thru the app itself, and while actively connected to a network?
also
does the app have to be on the phone that the number is forwarded to?

by "behind the scenes", what I really mean is not something that actively requires an app running on my phone.... think more like something that's in the "cloud" or remotely.
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Post by mh1983 »

Yes, it's possible. But you have to open the app to set the call forwarding. But after that, you can close it and the Fongo account can be a permanent forward to another number.
_Tom
Just Passing Thru

Post by _Tom »

you're golden! they should hire you as support.

now, where can I see what the prices are for the "features" like texting, add free, etc? I don't understand why the costs aren't transparent?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

If you have the app running in the background on your phone then it will ring when someone calls your 416 number, so no need to forward the call anywhere. I understand you might not want this though.

Texting plans are here https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212434506 To put it in a nutshell, incoming texts are free and you don't need a plan. You can text other Fongo phones for free with no plan. Other numbers require a plan and start from $2.79 (not $2.29 as on that page) a month. The best value of course is the 6 month option for $1.67 a month. There are also texting to the US options if you need that. All the plans are unlimited texting.

I couldn't find where it stated how much the ad removal is, but it is currently $6.99. If you are not using the app though, you probably don't need this. The ads show in the app itself, they are not something you have to listen to like other systems.

The other costs are if you want to call somewhere that is not covered in the free areas (https://www.fongo.com/calling/free/) for that you would have to buy World Credits.

As mentioned above, the best thing to do is download the app (it's free) and test it out with the number you are given. You will have to do this anyway when you port in your number. You will find there is a lot you can do with it without spending a dime.