Recording Fongo Mobile Conversation

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.
mikesil93
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Fongo Desktop
Firmware Version: 3.2.7
ISP Name: DSL
Computer OS: Win10

Recording Fongo Mobile Conversation

Post by mikesil93 »

Canada laws allow to record a phone conversation if at least one party to the call is aware of the conversation being recorded. Notifying the other party is not required by law in Canada. Most people record phone conversations for personal archive, not legal proceedings anyway. Most Android phone models have such feature integrated with the main dialer. But more people now use DATA ONLY plans and VoIP to call from and to mobile phones. Fongo Mobile is the popular app in Canada for DATA ONLY tablet plans offered by Fido, Rogers and other.

How such calls can be recorded? Every VoIP Recorder offers such standard feature with recordings stored locally or in a user's Cloud account, but I can't find it in Fongo Mobile - is it available? If not:

a) how to use free Fongo Mobile phone number with other VoIP Mobile clients that offer call recording feature? What are the SIP settings required?

OR

b) What 3rd party VoIP Call Recording app can record Fongo Mobile calls with good sound quality?
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Recording Fongo Mobile Conversation

Post by bridonca »

Fongo is wise not to offer call recording. As the law is written, it is somewhat murky on the liability of a Canadian company offering such a call recording service.

Fortunately, there are tons of call recording apps that use SIP not based in Canada, so Canadian Law does not apply. The only real issue is that you need to get a Freephoneline account, and pay $80 for the SIP settings. The quality of the recording is as good as the software, but most offer excellent quality recordings.
mikesil93
Just Passing Thru

Post by mikesil93 »

To my understanding, Fongo Mobile and Freephoneline are different applications. While Fongo Mobile is used on mobile phones, Freephonline is a Windows desktop package. They have different phone numbers assigned to user. The number assigned to Freephoneline will not ring Fongo Mobile app on a smartphone, and wise versa. I don't see offers on this website to pay for Fongo Mobile SIP settings that can be used in VoIP SIP apps on a mobile phone like Groundwire etc. So how paying $80 for Freephoneline number SIP credentials used on an ATA VoIP desk phone would allow you to record Fongo Mobile number calls on a mobile phone?

As a separate and unrelated to SIP credentials question, what Android VoIP Recorder app allows to record calls coming through Fongo Mobile app on an Android phone?
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

I should have been more clear. As far as I know, there is no easy software solutions to record conversations from the Fongo app other than essentially tapping the audio channel. I am not aware of any software solution that does that, though it probably exists. My solution was to instead of using Fongo, use Freephoneline instead. That would require purchasing SIP settings and having another phone account. I am pretty sure there are a lot of SIP programs that record conversations, though I personally never used any of them.

On the PC there are programs out there that tapped the audio channel, thus the reason why I recommended Freephoneline. It has been ages since I did that. I think I used Audacity, but that was years ago.
mikesil93
Just Passing Thru

Post by mikesil93 »

It looks like Fongo allows to Transfer Freephoneline phone number to the Fongo mobile application. I wonder if you purchased SIP Credentials for FPL and then transferred the number to Fongo Mobile, would you be allowed to use the same FPL SIP credentials you already purchased in an Android mobile SIP app like Groundwire or similar that has Call Recording feature, similar to using same credentials with any desk ATA phone like Obihai?

Of course instead its possible to use purchased FPL SIP credentials and number with any mobile SIP Dialer directly, except FPL numbers may not allow to send SMS. As to Freephoneline call recording on a PC, I know Total Recorder and some other standalone VoIP call recorders for Windows desktop can do a decent job.
bridonca
Technical Support

Post by bridonca »

Sadly no. Freephoneline has SIP settings, Fongo has SMS. You will lose respective services if you switch your number over. You can use the Freephoneline SIP credentials for pretty much anything that uses SIP, certainly devices and apps you mentioned.