Hard to get data only from providers now.

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Hard to get data only from providers now.

Postby caroljoyce » 04/05/2017

I'm looking to set up another cell phone with Fongo but to get cheap data only is getting tougher. Most providers want you to have a voice plan first before you can
buy data only for phone or tablet. Does anyone know a provider that still has data only with no strings attached or how to get around this? I'm in the GTA.
caroljoyce
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Android
Firmware Version: 4.4.2
ISP Name: Rogers Hi Speed
Computer OS: Vista

Re: Hard to get data only from providers now.

Postby mh1983 » 04/05/2017

Probably one of the smaller providers like Freedom Mobile or Fido would be worth a look. There are ways to tie a tablet data plan to a smartphone, but I believe there's a bit of manual intervention involved.

This thread might be worth checking out: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/cheapest ... a-2016749/

I used to have a prepaid account with Telus. On that, I just used the data add on (no extra plan/frills required). The rates weren't amazing, but I just wanted a small amount of data every 30 days to cover time when I wasn't on WiFi and didn't want to get into jerry rigging a tablet plan with a smartphone.

Hope this helps!
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Postby bridonca » 04/05/2017

Fido seems to be the best way to go. You usually have to visit a Fido kiosk, and some sellers are hit and miss when it comes to getting a data only plan. Just be persistent, and keep shopping around.

You can get a 3 GB tablet plan for $15 from Fido. I needed 6 GB, so I got 2 SIM cards. One is attached to a phone, the other, to a hotspot.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby caroljoyce » 04/06/2017

Thanks for the replies. I will try a few Fido kiosks to see if they will bite. I am currently a Fido customer for data only so it might work to try and get a second sim
with same data only deal.
caroljoyce
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Android
Firmware Version: 4.4.2
ISP Name: Rogers Hi Speed
Computer OS: Vista

Postby bylo » 04/12/2017

caroljoyce wrote:Thanks for the replies. I will try a few Fido kiosks to see if they will bite. I am currently a Fido customer for data only so it might work to try and get a second sim
with same data only deal.

There are several threads on RFD that discuss Fido's 3GB for $15 data-only plan. They're lengthy and repetitive but worth skimming or searching for valuable nuggets of useful information.

For example:
1. Some users report call quality issues with Fongo, especially on Android phones. There are some Fongo settings to check, e.g. disable "Use Low Bandwith Codec."
2. After 90 days on this plan you can call Fido and ask for a "loyalty credit." People are routinely getting 50% for 12 months. Yup, 3GB for $7.50/month.
3. This plan has no contract, provides full LTE speeds, works with any device and even includes free extended roaming across Canada.
Google Nexus 5 on Fido 1GB-$15/month Flex Data plan
bylo
Active Poster

Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 6.0

Postby bridonca » 04/12/2017

Fido changed their plan from 3 GB for $15 to 2 GB for $15. It is still a good plan, just not as good as before.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby DTLow » 05/15/2017

I just signed up with Rogers.
I wanted coverage when no internet; minimal use - I'm mostly on internet at home or Shaw hotspots when away.
DTLow
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: IPad
Computer OS: IOS

Postby alexkillby » 04/02/2018

The way I see it, the Fido 3GB/$15 is the best option on the market (all things considered, including coverage and network quality necessary for a stable Fongo experience). If that went away or isn't an option where you are, the Bell/Virgin tablet data plan is the next best bet.
alexkillby
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Google Pixel 2 XL
ISP Name: DSL/LTE

Return to Community Support