Fongo on BlackBerry Passport

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Fongo on BlackBerry Passport

Postby les_izmore » 12/08/2017

Hi. I had no idea that there was a BlackBerry client for Fongo until I was poking around BBWorld yesterday on my Passport. I installed it and it works GREAT...except for what it does to my battery!

My Passport is running BB 10.3.3. I am able to use Fongo with no difficulty whatsoever, but last night, before going to sleep, my phone's battery life was at about 75%. When I woke up about 7 hours later, the phone was dead. After charging it, I checked the battery usage for the past 24 hours and lo and behold, Fongo was zapping the battery from 3AM to 7AM and completely drained it.

Is this a known issue? I want to keep using the app but if it's going to do this to my battery, I will have to, unhappily, uninstall it.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
les_izmore
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: BlackBerry Passport
Firmware Version: 10.3.3
ISP Name: 3G
Computer OS: Windows 10

Re: Fongo on BlackBerry Passport

Postby mh1983 » 12/12/2017

Hi,

While the Fongo app does indeed work well on the BB10 operating system, the app is ultimately an Android port, not an app natively designed for BB10. As such, it runs through the built-in Android emulator in BB10, so essentially another OS within the OS. You're probably starting to understand why Android apps can be such a huge draw on the battery on a BB10 device.

A few people in the CrackBerry forums suggested to turn off the "Run When Minimized" permission: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberr ... go-1132565. Apparently the phone will still ring for incoming calls, and this allegedly saves battery life.

The setting can be found under Security > Application Permissions.

Hope this helps!
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Return to Community Support