[resolved] Fongo connection failed - Click To Retry

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

[resolved] Fongo connection failed - Click To Retry

Postby dco » 02/09/2012

Hi,

I'm a registered freephoneline user and I use a pap2t ATA device with this account. Everything works well.

As I wanted another phone number in another city, I tried to register a Dell Voice account using the same e-mail address I used with freephoneline.ca and it worked. I can login to the dellvoice.ca site, manage my settings and the call forwarding function even works.

Unfortunately, when I try to use the Android app, I am able to login, but I get this error message : Fongo connection failed - Click To Retry. I tried using Wifi at home (Videotron) and 3G network (Bell Mobility).

I also tested the PC application and I get this message : No connection to the server.

Is there a problem with my account ?

My Android device is running CyanogenMod (Android 2.3.7) and it's a HTC DesireZ.
My PC is running Windows 7 64 bits.

Thanks.
dco
Just Passing Thru

Re: Fongo connection failed - Click To Retry

Postby FONGO_kris » 02/09/2012

I have nearly the exact same setup as you (until I recently changed it - Self admitted serial flasher), and though almost all Android phones have issues connecting with 802.1x EAP networks (such as ours at the office) I was able to get it running just fine, made a call to my desk phone, had a nice chat with myself.

What version are you running? The latest is 1.2.4.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Postby dco » 02/09/2012

I'm running Dell Voice version 1.2.4.
dco
Just Passing Thru

Postby dco » 02/09/2012

There is definitely something wrong...

I deleted my account two times and tried to create two more account.

I always get the same error and cannot connect to Fongo.

:?
dco
Just Passing Thru

Postby dco » 02/09/2012

I think I found what is the problem with all those people having the same problem I had...

I used google chrome to create my accounts. When I had to enter my address, I used the auto-fill function of chrome... and your form don't parse the info entered in the postal code field when I use auto-fill. If I type my postal code, my street name is automatically entered and the resulting account is working...

I created two accounts with this trick and both works on my android phone and PC. If I use auto-fill, it doesn't connect...

Can you please investigate this ? It would save you many, many calls, IMHO.

Thanks.
dco
Just Passing Thru

Postby ykhehra1 » 02/10/2012

postal code trick not worked for me.
ykhehra1
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: dell voice app
Firmware Version: android 2.3
Computer OS: vista

FONGO_kris wrote: (until I recently changed it - Self admitted serial flasher)

Can you please elaborate it?
ykhehra1
Just Passing Thru

I am facing same problem when I register from my Android gingerbread phone. But it is working fine for number I register for my wife from PC. The one difference I found that when I register on PC the 911 information auto populate with street address without street direction, I changed the 911 address on my account with street direction same as my wife's account but still no go. So cancel my account and register another with same setting and address as my wife's but still not working.

So may be it have nothing to do with 911 address etc, its it just that some registrations work some don't.
ykhehra1
Just Passing Thru

Postby netyang » 02/10/2012

dco wrote:There is definitely something wrong...

I have a same problem. this happened after I delete my account and re-create a account.
netyang
Active Poster

Postby thatmarkguy » 02/10/2012

dco wrote:If I type my postal code, my street name is automatically entered and the resulting account is working...

When I typed my postal code, the street name of my *post office* was automatically entered. I had to manually overtype the actual road I live on and get my mail delivered to.

I suppose in the big cities a given postal code might only correspond to people on a specific street, but in more rural areas, a postal code represents far more than a single road, and the form's autofill is usually wrong.
thatmarkguy
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPod Touch 4g
Firmware Version: 5.0.1
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: D-Link

"Fongo connection failed - Click to Retry" - not so good

Postby jbr439 » 02/10/2012

Just checked my Nexus S running stock 2.3.6 and saw in the notification area: "Fongo connection failed - Click to Retry"

If one has to manually reconnect upon failure, that makes it impossible to use DV in a mission critical way.
I suggest DV should try to reconnect automatically on connection failure - likely using an exponential backoff.
And for bonus points have an advanced setting that allows the user to specify how aggressive DV should be in battery burning retry attempts.

If the message is not telling the whole truth and retry attempts are in fact going on in the background, would appreciate hearing so.

Nonetheless, cool product; if the rough edges get worked out it could be a really, really cool product.
jbr439
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Nexus S
Firmware Version: Android 2.3.6
ISP Name: Koodo

Re: "Fongo connection failed - Click to Retry" - not so good

Postby Jake » 02/10/2012

jbr439 wrote:Just checked my Nexus S running stock 2.3.6 and saw in the notification area: "Fongo connection failed - Click to Retry"

If one has to manually reconnect upon failure, that makes it impossible to use DV in a mission critical way.
I suggest DV should try to reconnect automatically on connection failure - likely using an exponential backoff.
And for bonus points have an advanced setting that allows the user to specify how aggressive DV should be in battery burning retry attempts.

If the message is not telling the whole truth and retry attempts are in fact going on in the background, would appreciate hearing so.

Nonetheless, cool product; if the rough edges get worked out it could be a really, really cool product.

I had this happen a few times, but mainly when I was traveling and cell signal was not very good along the way. I got someone to watch the phone and what was happening was when I didn't get a 3G signal the phone would retry a few times, then would quit to the state you mentioned. I then had to manually ask it to retry. I'm sure if I always had a connection (wifi or 3G) then I wouldn't get the problem, but out here getting any sort of cell signal is a good day.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: "Fongo connection failed - Click to Retry" - not so good

Postby jbr439 » 02/10/2012

Jake wrote:...
I had this happen a few times, but mainly when I was traveling and cell signal was not very good along the way. I got someone to watch the phone and what was happening was when I didn't get a 3G signal the phone would retry a few times, then would quit to the state you mentioned. I then had to manually ask it to retry. I'm sure if I always had a connection (wifi or 3G) then I wouldn't get the problem, but out here getting any sort of cell signal is a good day.

FWIW, I wasn't traveling. I was (am) at work, using the company wireless. Possibly the company wireless had an extended hiccup, resulting in my state.

In any case DV should never give up altogether. At worst, it should fall back into a very long retry interval. I don't have to manually reset my home phone when my POTS line has a (very, very, very infrequent) problem; I shouldn't have to manually intervene when my VOIP phone encounters a temporary problem. At least, that's my opinion.

Make DV robust and battery friendly, and Canadians will be falling all over themselves to use it as a mission critical solution on their smart phones - don't do this, and it will be used for calling Canada from the hotel room when visiting the US, and the like.
jbr439
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Nexus S
Firmware Version: Android 2.3.6
ISP Name: Koodo

What are the steps to delete account?
ykhehra1
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 02/10/2012

ykhehra1 wrote:

What are the steps to delete account?

Log into your dellvoice account and click on the Account Settings link at the top (https://www.dellvoice.ca/updateAccountDetails)
Opposite the "confirm password" box there is a link to delete your account.
Jake
Technical Support

Thanks Jake for instructions.

And I think 'fongo connection failed...' error happened to some specific area, like Calgary 403 one.
ykhehra1
Just Passing Thru

Postby cmmaik » 02/12/2012

dco wrote:Hi,

I'm a registered freephoneline user and I use a pap2t ATA device with this account. Everything works well.

As I wanted another phone number in another city, I tried to register a Dell Voice account using the same e-mail address I used with freephoneline.ca and it worked. I can login to the dellvoice.ca site, manage my settings and the call forwarding function even works.

Unfortunately, when I try to use the Android app, I am able to login, but I get this error message : Fongo connection failed - Click To Retry. I tried using Wifi at home (Videotron) and 3G network (Bell Mobility).

I also tested the PC application and I get this message : No connection to the server.

Is there a problem with my account ?

My Android device is running CyanogenMod (Android 2.3.7) and it's a HTC DesireZ.
My PC is running Windows 7 64 bits.

Thanks.

This is to confirm that the above solved my problem. I got the same problem of connection failing. Then I re-registered using Firefox and another email addressed instead of Google Chrome, and now it works! Now, I wonder if I should cancel the previous account I created which did not work... Anyway, thank you very much for the post, "dco"!
cmmaik
One Hit Wonder

Computer OS: Window7

Return to Community Support