Home Alarm Monitoring with Fongo

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo Home Phone is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Home Alarm Monitoring with Fongo

Postby reasonable » 01/09/2013

Can Fongo be used as the carrier line for home alarm systems?
The main reason I have phone service at home is for my alarm monitoring.
Anyone got it working or anyone in tech support know if it can be used?
Thanks!
reasonable
Just Passing Thru

Re: Home Alarm Monitoring with Fongo

Postby killerjay » 01/10/2013

i wouldnt recommend it... alarm systems arent meant to run on voip... but ive read before that some people were successful using it... but i wouldnt... freephoneline has been dropping in and out like crazy lately.... so unless you wanna risk it..
killerjay
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: grandstream 286
ISP Name: cogeco
Computer OS: windows vista
Router: dir-655

Postby reasonable » 01/10/2013

killerjay wrote:i wouldnt recommend it... alarm systems arent meant to run on voip... but ive read before that some people were successful using it... but i wouldnt... freephoneline has been dropping in and out like crazy lately.... so unless you wanna risk it..

killerjay, Thanks for the heads up on the line drops. I was thinking of adding a cellular backup to the alarm system as well, so even if it is out now and then it should be ok. I just need a reasonably stable main line for it so I can kill my TelCo costs.
reasonable
Just Passing Thru

Postby seagame2001 » 01/10/2013

Well do GSM home alarm system
seagame2001
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Fongo and DSC Alarm

Postby dchauhan » 02/22/2013

I just had a new alarm installed. They are not getting the signal from my phone. The technician wanted me to ask if you are compatible with a DSC alarm systems and if there is anything that needs to be done on your end?
dchauhan
One Hit Wonder

ISP Name: Rogers Cable

Re: Fongo and DSC Alarm

Postby Jake » 02/22/2013

Generally speaking alarm companies do not tend to play nice with VOIP.

Some here have got it to work, but I am not sure I would rely on it.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Fongo and DSC Alarm

Postby seagame2001 » 02/23/2013

it would not work cause ATA device did not have enough power

if you plug your ATA device in your telephone wall jack you can make call but you won't able to receive phone call that's where the problem

Rogers is VOIP too but their ATA is big and huge unit so it has enough power to run all the phone jacks to receive and make calls

Well that is my opinion but you can do more research about FPL with Alarm system
seagame2001
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Postby godot2012 » 02/28/2013

I have tried and tested my Alarmforce system. The first test with the control centre was flaky. I told the technician what I am trying to do, testing using FONGO phone. He said they generally don't recommend the use of any VoIP phone. They had particularly poor experience when tried testing with Vonage. But he made some changes to my setup at his end and after that all test worked fine.

I am a tactical person so here is my take:
1. The best deterrent of any alarm system is the sign on the windows, doors.
2. If you have an alarm system you get a break in your home insurance.
3. However, if anyone really wants to get into your home he will.
4. By the time the cops get out the intruder is long gone. (I looked after someone's home and there was a false alarm. The alarm company called me - in the middle of the night. It took the cops 40 minutes to show up. The guy had to borrow my flashlight since he could not find his in the cruiser.)

Considering the above I installed a UPS system to back up my modem, router and ATA. The potential failure of any of these devices and/or Internet outages, while reasonable concerns, are also reasonable risks to take. But I admit not everyone will agree.

Also, phone lines can be cut! I suppose if you really want protection you need a cellphone based system, but even then there is no guarantee that someone will show up while the perpetrator is still there. If you are willing to pay for a cellphone backup, why bother with a low cost phone? Just stay with Ma Bell or whoever is your local wire line provider.
godot2012
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: GrandStream ATA
Firmware Version: Fongo shipped
ISP Name: 295.ca
Computer OS: WIN 7
Router: NETGEAR DB WNDR4000
Smartphone Model: Nexus4
Android Version: 4.3

Postby reasonable » 02/28/2013

I went with a different VOIP system (Dolphintel/Lightspeed), and had the alarm company check the line. They said it was fine.

I had some trouble with Lightspeed setting up the cable interent (I went over a week without internet as Shaw played with my line), but the VOIP seems to be alright and works like a regular phone. My internet & phone costs went from $78/month with Shaw to $44/month with Lightspeed for basically the same service, so I should save $400/year after paying set up costs.

Since my fire alarm is hooked up to my alarm system, I get an additional discount on my insurance costs. And for fires, reliability of the line is very important because I might not be home or could be incapacitated when the alarm should trigger to get the fire department mobilized.

With respect to the phone line, I'm not as worried about burglars since the audible alarm should get them out before the police would get there anyway.

Godot2012, Which UPS did you get, and how much capacity or time will it last on an outage? I'm in the market for one now. Thanks!
reasonable
Just Passing Thru

Postby godot2012 » 03/02/2013

I have an APC 550VA unit. Bought it at Staples on sale. Can't recall the price but I believe it was a very good offer. Somehow C$69 comes to mind. Shop around!

I figure that the power consumption of my "telephone system"; DSL modem, router and ATA is around 20W. The APC 550 should support a system like that for about 45 minutes.
godot2012
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: GrandStream ATA
Firmware Version: Fongo shipped
ISP Name: 295.ca
Computer OS: WIN 7
Router: NETGEAR DB WNDR4000
Smartphone Model: Nexus4
Android Version: 4.3

Postby reasonable » 03/04/2013

Thanks, I'll look for one with similar capacity, or more if I can find a good deal.
reasonable
Just Passing Thru

Return to Suggestions & Feedback