Incoming International Calls

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
DavidElsey
Just Passing Thru

Incoming International Calls

Post by DavidElsey »

My parents in the UK have a combined telephone/internet service via TalkTalk.co.uk which includes the ability to call any international number for up to 59 minutes at no additional cost - with no limit to the number of calls each day/week/month etc. Previously (in London, ON) we used a Fongo home phone no. to receive incoming calls from the parents and family so we know from experience that such calls are free as part of the phone plan. NB. A home phone number from Fongo looks no different than a home phone number from Rogers or Bell etc.

However... I also now have a Fongo number for my cell and if my parents call on that number... will the system know that it is a cell no. that is being called??? The number is no different in appearance than any other Fongo no. (or any other providers number for that matter) so is there something in the actual number that tells the system a cell phone is being called - with appropriate cell phone charges being levied.

Just want to be safe rather than sorry and find out too late that a call has run up expensive charges.

Any help, greatly appreciated.
lustucru
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Re: Incoming International Calls

Post by lustucru »

For incoming international calls to Canada and US, there is no cost difference between a standard landline, VOIP or cell phone.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Incoming International Calls

Post by Jake »

My family calls me from the UK and they do not get clobbered with any extra fees. I think most of them have some sort of calling plan from Sky.

Your Fongo phone number will be treated as a normal landline number. It's not the same as back in the UK where we have separate numbers for mobiles.