Dual Number

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
rummaan17
Just Passing Thru

Dual Number

Post by rummaan17 »

Hi,
I have an existing number from freephoneline.ca and I want to port my mobile number also on freephoneline. I have following concers?

1. Would I loose my old number after porting my new number?
2. Can I use both number on freephoneline at same time ?
3. How can I confirm that my mobile number from Koodo mobile can be ported?

Thanks alot. Awaiting reply.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Dual Number

Post by Jake »

1. Yes - so if you want to keep both you need to open a second account (get a temporary FPL number) and then port your number to this account.
2. No and Yes. You can't directly link the two numbers (accounts) into one, as it is one account one number. You do have a couple of choices though. a) forward one number to the second number. This way an incoming call to either number will ring the second number. b) Set up a PBX using either a 3rd party online or on a spare computer and then you can register both accounts to it. Your ata will then connect to your PBX and will be able to receive and make calls from either number if you have it set up correctly.
3. Take a look on this page and see if your area is listed. http://support.fongo.com/entries/228992 ... o-network- If it is there is a very good chance it can be ported.
rummaan17
Just Passing Thru

Post by rummaan17 »

Thanks alot Jake for a prompt and descriptive reply.
I have already purchased the VOIP key over my current freephoneline.ca account so If I open a new account and port number to it :

1. Do I have to purchase VOIP key again ?
2. Is there any option for any Softphone over android from freephoneline, which I can use so that I just need to pay charges other than for porting?

Thanks alot
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

1. No. If you port your number into an account where you have already paid for the unlock key, it will just replace that number. The 'unlocked' part of it stays.
(EDIT Sorry I mis-read your question at first. Yes, you will need to buy the unlock key for every account (phone number) you have with freephoneline if you want to use it on anything other than the desktop softphone)
2. Freephoneline does not offer a phone solution (Fongo yes, but not FPL), but most Android phones have a native SIP phone on them where you can use your unlock credentials. Other than that just try and of the 3rd party SIP phones in the Play Store https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... nes&c=apps

Personally I like the 3CX version (https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... nes&c=apps) but that is just because that is what I am used to and I don't use it often nor do I need it to do much else than connect to a server and make a test call when I do use it.
Last edited by Jake on 02/26/2014, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added edit.
rummaan17
Just Passing Thru

Post by rummaan17 »

Thanks alot Jake for your assistance. I am really obliged.