I cannot hear, the recipient can hear me

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

I cannot hear, the recipient can hear me

Postby Mak24 » 09/26/2014

Hello:

I have a new issue.

Previously I had Netgear WNDR3400V# working perfectly with my SPA 112 - Firmware version - 1.3.5 (004) Jul 31 2014. Rogers is my service provider.

i now have a new router, namely Linksys WRT 110 - Firmware version 1.0.07. My ATA is still the old one as state above.

I have assigned Static IP to SPA 112 using the DHCP Reservation in my router.

I have forwarded the following ports in the router.

UDP - 5060-5061
UDP - 16384-16482

Issue:
When I dial a number, the the phone rings at the recipient side but I do not hear the ring and neither can I hear the recipient's voice. The recipient does hear my voice.

Also when someone calls me, then my phone does rings but I do not hear the caller's voice.

I would like to add that I was able to make a call to another person who is using Fongo Phone normally, meaning I could hear the phone ring when the caller, using Fongo phone, called me and we could converse normally. I also made a phone call to the same person using Fongo phone and was able to converse normally. Hope this helps shed some light on the issue.

Please assist

PS (This message was posted here by mistake I think (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15120&p=64946&hilit=recipient#p64946).Apologies
Mak24
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Cisco spa 112
Firmware Version: 1.3.5
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows 7/Linux Ubuntu 12
Router: Linksys Wrt110

Re: I cannot hear, the recipient can hear me

Postby julienvf » 10/16/2014

PM Fongo support and ask them to "force registration" on your account. It's a very common issue with any number ported out to Fongo/Freephoneline. I'd say about 90%+ of the lines I port to Freephoneline have this bug.
julienvf
Just Passing Thru

Postby digdig » 10/17/2014

I have the same issue, tried everything on my side, no luck. opened a support ticket, got email said,

We do not provide customer support for Freephoneline Desktop, Freephoneline VoIP Unlock Keys (SIP configuration files) and third party ATA devices. VoIP Unlock Keys should only be purchased by customers who understand networks and configuring SIP clients. Please check the Fongo Forum for Fongo customer discussion about third party ATA device configuration: viewforum.php?f=15.

If you require a supported home phone solution, please visit http://www.fongo.com/home-phone/

Talk Freely,

The Fongo Team

========================
This ticket will now be closed
========================

they closed the ticket now, is that normal??
digdig
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 10/17/2014

It is a frustrating slog for everyone involved. But more likely than not, the problem is on your end. Finding it will not be fun, and require quite a bit of patience.

This is your best chance for success.

Get a good router, one that can be flashed with DD-WRT. A router cannot be flashed with DD-WRT, the router likely has a cheap, flaky, unsupported, poorly tested chipset or is cheap on parts like memory. You do not need that hassle. A DD-WRT capable router usually has a good enough default firmware, so if you are not in a rush to flash new firmware, that is fine.

Practically all combination modem/routers have awful router firmware. Disable the modem part by putting it in bridge more. You might have to talk to the ISP to do that. Let the DD-WRT capable router do the routing, and let the modem act solely as a modem.

I have eventually got multiple ATA devices to work, but some took more effort than others. I recommend Obihai ATA devices. These device have reasonably recent firmware, plus you can also use them for Google Voice.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby digdig » 10/18/2014

bridonca wrote:It is a frustrating slog for everyone involved. But more likely than not, the problem is on your end. Finding it will not be fun, and require quite a bit of patience.

This is your best chance for success.

Get a good router, one that can be flashed with DD-WRT. A router cannot be flashed with DD-WRT, the router likely has a cheap, flaky, unsupported, poorly tested chipset or is cheap on parts like memory. You do not need that hassle. A DD-WRT capable router usually has a good enough default firmware, so if you are not in a rush to flash new firmware, that is fine.

Practically all combination modem/routers have awful router firmware. Disable the modem part by putting it in bridge more. You might have to talk to the ISP to do that. Let the DD-WRT capable router do the routing, and let the modem act solely as a modem.

I have eventually got multiple ATA devices to work, but some took more effort than others. I recommend Obihai ATA devices. These device have reasonably recent firmware, plus you can also use them for Google Voice.

but the thing is, same router,same ISP, same voip adapter, it's working fine with other provider but not success with FPL :?
digdig
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 10/18/2014

Other VOIP providers SIP implementation is more forgiving when gear is misconfigured. Not much of a help with you with Fongo though.

You need to make sure you have a stable 2 way RTP audio path that gets from your ATA, to your router, to your modem, and then to Fongo. A crappy router tend to lose that path. Sadly, one way audio though a NAT is well documented, and not just with Fongo.

Some SIP providers set up hacks to get around the deficiencies of a router's core purpose, routing packets! Fongo also provides hacks, to a point, but you can only do so much with a crappy router.

If I were also to guess, you also got a modem trying to act like a router, and doing it poorly. Put that hunk of junk in bridge mode, and let the router do the job.

what do you have for gear BTW?
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby digdig » 10/18/2014

I have a CISCO DPC3825(all on one, seems no bridge mode) and Linksys PAP2T
digdig
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 10/18/2014

It appears that the DPC3825 has a known issue when it comes to forwarding ports. Bridge mode for that puppy!

Apparently, you can set the DPC3825 to bridge mode. You might need your ISP to do that, or maybe not.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/cisco-dp ... e-1142802/

Hopefully you have a spare router that can actually forward ports. It you do not, get one that is DD-WRT friendly. DD-WRT firmware actually works! Surprisingly, the default firmware that comes with most DD-WRT friendly routers tend to be half way decent for the most part. But if not, you have the DD-WRT option.

While I am at it, I might as well give a swipe at your SIP ATA device. The PAP2 is one of the most unforgiving to configure ATA devices out there. It's latest firmware is at least 7 year old! But at least when you router and modem are properly configured, the ATA works well.

I wish I could say, I have never seen this issue before, but sadly no. Fongo does have it's issues, but almost certainly, one way audio is a hardware problem on your end.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby digdig » 10/19/2014

I tried to enable STUN and set up stun.stunprotocol.org as the STUN server, it's working now.
Thank you all.
digdig
Just Passing Thru

Return to Community Support