warranty/ownership of Home Phone Adaptor

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
robughblah
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: iphone
ISP Name: bell dsl
Computer OS: mac osx

warranty/ownership of Home Phone Adaptor

Post by robughblah »

I am clear on the initial price:
$59.00 Fongo Home Phone Adapter
$14.95 Shipping & Handling

Questions:
1) Who owns the adaptor after I purchase it, Fongo or myself? If I own it what are the warranty terms.
2) if the Adaptor is DOA, what is the procedure?
3) if the Adaptor fails after 3 months, 1 year, 2 years what is recourse?
4) Is it prudent to run it off of a small UPS/surge protector?

Rob
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: warranty/ownership of Home Phone Adaptor

Post by bridonca »

You own the ATA. I even believe it is unlocked, so if you ever decide you want to use another SIP VOIP carrier, you can use that ATA for that purpose.

I am not sure what the actual return policy, but if I were to guess, you return it, probably at your expense and you get another one. You would have to talk to a Fongo CSR for better clarity on the return policy.

I personally would not buy an ATA from Fongo. You can get a decent Obi100 ATA for about $40 on Newegg. You can get SIP settings from freephoneline, (Fongo's sister carrier) for $50, which will also allow you to make and take most Canadian phone calls for free. Downsides are slightly higher up front costs, and no official support for the Obi100. This is still a tutorial on freephoneline settings on the Obi100, and we in this forum are still here to help, but the big upside is after spending around $100, you will no longer have any more phone bills, not even the reasonable $5 monthly free you would have to pay Fongo home phone.

I strongly recommend a UPS for your electronics. It is cheap piece of mind (around $40) You also might need to consider getting a better router, preferably one that is DD-WRT friendly, because a lot of routers do not work well with SIP VOIP. Your current router might be good enough though.