Incoming Bell to Fongo calls long distance or local?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
canacura
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT701
ISP Name: Acanac Cable 35
Computer OS: Win. 7 Pro. / IOS 8.3 Ipad
Router: BelkinF5D8236-4 v3

Incoming Bell to Fongo calls long distance or local?

Post by canacura »

:( Hi there,

I've gone from Bell to Fongo 2 days ago and I'm a "newbie" in regards to VOIP service!
One of the reasons I made the switch was to eliminate a "third party" long distance plan which I need to call and receive calls from friends and relatives 40km' s away.
I can now place free calls to them, but for them to call me, it appears that it's a long distance call. Fongo Home Phone advertizes that both Ottawa, Ont. and Wakefield, Quebec are both free calling cities.
The very next morning after my new Fongo Home Service was activated and working I sent a ticket to Support. They sent me a reply shortly after, saying that there was a problem the previous evening which should be "fixed" by now...
It's still the same, and callers are being prompted by Bell to dial "1" before the area code and number.
So, from 819-456-xxxx to 613-841-xxxx is this a free call or not?...or should be?
Thanks for your help.
FONGO_jeff
Site Moderator

Re: Incoming Bell to Fongo calls long distance or local?

Post by FONGO_jeff »

Our "free calling cities" mean that you can call those cities for free using Fongo, as you are doing now. It does not work in the reverse, Bell is going to charge long distance if it is a long distance call to the Fongo number, we don't have any control over that.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Incoming Bell to Fongo calls long distance or local?

Post by bridonca »

You can get an Ottawa, Ontario phone number from Fongo, and if people from Ottawa call that number, it is a local call for them.

Even though it might be a free calling area for Fongo, I do not know if you can get a Fongo phone number from Wakefield, Quebec.

As FONGO_jeff already stated, Fongo has no control over what a competing telco charges, depending on the plan, some carriers can charge as high as $0.50 a minute even for a local call.